Lampizator 5 vs 7

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Ok, so for a while I have been trying to not upgrade from the L5. Yesterday at Greg (UK distributor)'s place, compared the 5 to the 7. Initial impression on normal vocals was that the 7 was more open, with a more spatial soundstage, but the 5 is good enough, so I was still trying to not jump the gun to save money. But then I switched over to my most testing audition music, Mussogosrky's Pictures at an Exhibition. The dynamism and separation required for this really sets apart the best from the very good. It took me 2 minutes to realize how much better the 7 was, and then we just kept confirming it. The reverb and decay of the instruments is unlike anything I have heard before.

The tracks I normally compare on this CD are the 2nd(Gnomus), 7th (Bydio), and the 14th (Hut on Fowl's legs). The last is the most heaviest metal track you can find, that really tests a system. I have never heard this symphony play better. The mastering was average. The presence the 7 creates, and the way each instrument sounds, is incredible.

Oh yes, then we added the Shun Mook resonators below the dac, and it took the whole experience to another level. Each note was more pleasurable. Also the number of NOS valves Greg has makes it more exciting. On the Gnomus, there is a piece where the drums escalate to end in a thwack - man what a thwack. Amazing dynamics.

Last edited:
There is a guy named ALrainbow on WBF ad head fi who prefers the 7 to his $35k MSB stack.

Feedback on the Big 6: "DAC is the best I've ever owned for both DSD and PCM (includes Berkely, Playback Designs, Weiss, Metric Halo, Metrum, Mytek, Empirical Audio, Auralic Vega, Lumin, PS Audio PWD, etc.). Only DAC that I've enjoyed as much on PCM that I've had in my system is the top of the line MSB stack w femto clock; NONE touch the performance of this DAC's DSD, which is a very unique design that can be studied on the Lampizator web site. This DAC punches WAY above it's weight class / price point, and is the most analog/soothing yet detailed DAC I've had in my system. The USB implementation is excellent, I compared using an Empirical Audio Off Ramp 5 (fully loaded with Paul Hynes add-ons, etc.) and I preferred the overall presentation of the built in USB input (plus the added convenience of an easy switch to DSD without changing cables, etc.). The ultimate test for me is how long I can sit still listening to digital without feeling compelled to change music or get up and leave the room or have distracting thoughts. Similar to vinyl, the Lampizator provides that experience for me. This is especially the case with the DSD module and good source files. I'm only selling as I had the opportunity to have a custom configured level 7 DAC produced by Lukasz and will be arriving shortly (Big 7 format)."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715773/lampizator-big-6-dsd-dac

It really is a great machine. Not sure there is anything that is really much better out there. However, you do get used to it. If you forget how good it really is, just plug something else in:D

You going for it then Kedar?

It really is a great machine. Not sure there is anything that is really much better out there. However, you do get used to it. If you forget how good it really is, just plug something else in:D

You going for it then Kedar?

Tempting. But have to stop somewhere, let's see. No doubt I will lose a lot on the symphonies if I don't

Are you using the DSD, it's supposed to be better than anything. I used it through the 5 on some, it was awesome. Very smooth

No. It didn't work well with the 7 I had before the Big 7. That is it didn't work well with JRiver's on the fly conversion, so I thought what's the point? I have virtually no DSD material, and there's a load of high def stuff available in PCM anyway.

I did DSD years ago with SACD on my Tri-Vista. I'm not sure it is better. In fact the reverse may well be true. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

It didn't work well with the Jriver, there must be some technical setting to get it going. For me it worked smoothly when I tried the Aurender out. People are going gaga over the Lampi DSD, there must be something in it. You should give it a try. Of course, you don't listen to classical and jazz, which is very good on DSD. This might be an opportunity, the expenses we do are best justified if they can change our music taste drastically and take us where we were not willing to go before

Kedar and Justin,

Have you guys listened to the Chord Qute EX DAC equipped with a third-party linear power supply? Supposed to be really good.

I heard it's good, but no one has compared it to the dacs mentioned in the Big 6 feedback I have posted above. Even when I once asked a dealer if he expects his chord qute to compete with Meitner, he said no. And I prefer the Lampi to Meitner. I think this is an entirely different league from the qute. Also with the qute while the price is good, you have to additionally buy the power supply to make it sing. If you are looking at a budget dac, I think if you get that used it's a good value. I think with the 7 my source case is rested - will put a good transport in. Will get the NAT pre. That makes two of the best, if not the best components at decent hifi prices. Now to find a full range planar at bargain prices.

The Lampi and NAT are both small time guys turned big on quality - lower margins, high quality components.

It didn't work well with the Jriver, there must be some technical setting to get it going. For me it worked smoothly when I tried the Aurender out. People are going gaga over the Lampi DSD, there must be something in it. You should give it a try. Of course, you don't listen to classical and jazz, which is very good on DSD. This might be an opportunity, the expenses we do are best justified if they can change our music taste drastically and take us where we were not willing to go before

I suspect native DSD files will work very well. On the fly PCM->DSD JRiver conversion probably needs some work by JRiver.

I have no DSD apart from a few SACDs. I agree it may be giving great results in the Lampi implementation. I am happy with PCM. There just isn't that much I want to buy that is available in native DSD so it is a waste of time for me really. Or maybe I am just being too negative about it. I don't think so though.

I heard it's good, but no one has compared it to the dacs mentioned in the Big 6 feedback I have posted above. Even when I once asked a dealer if he expects his chord qute to compete with Meitner, he said no. And I prefer the Lampi to Meitner. I think this is an entirely different league from the qute. Also with the qute while the price is good, you have to additionally buy the power supply to make it sing. If you are looking at a budget dac, I think if you get that used it's a good value. I think with the 7 my source case is rested - will put a good transport in. Will get the NAT pre. That makes two of the best, if not the best components at decent hifi prices. Now to find a full range planar at bargain prices.

The Lampi and NAT are both small time guys turned big on quality - lower margins, high quality components.
Re the text in bold : aren't those mutually exclusive requirements?

Kedar and Justin,

Have you guys listened to the Chord Qute EX DAC equipped with a third-party linear power supply? Supposed to be really good.

Hi Bernard, got this about chord Hugo (not qute), from Audioshark

"I spent over 7 hours comparing 4 Dacs with 3 HP amps and 4 quality H-phones 2 weeks ago at the house of AlRainbow in Queens. They were the MSB Platinum stack with all options including the Galaxy 2 clock upgrade, a Lampi Big7 with volume control and DSD module, using the stock ($500 retail) EML 45 triode DHT tubes, the DirectStream and the Chord Hugo. Both the Hugo and the DStream sucked via DSD and were better with PCM. Both the Lampi and MSB were quantum leaps above the DS and Hugo in PCM and totally blew aways the other 2 in DSD, it was almost incredible. The differences wer not subtel and anyone there would have been able to tell. The Lampi was smoother than the MSB, which was a bit more PCM sounding (harder leading edge/treble, etc). Both Lampi and the $35K MSB stack were superb though. The Lampi was just more natural and at ease and with ZERO listening fatigue, but still with oodles of detail. I am now pining away for a big7.

MSB though much pricier played PCM almost as well as DSD. i am a DSD junky as it just sounds better to me, all things being equal, but the Lampi and MSB has so cut the gap from PCM to DSD, that I am essentially agnostic now. "

I've just spoken to the bloke that wrote that. He phoned me up from Geneva about an hour ago. A Jamaican called Norman, I think you'll find:)

Kedar and Justin,

Bernard (and Julian), if you are ever in Toronto, you can listen to this guy's Lampi B7 on acapella violincello speakers - superb midrange. These horns have a problem with bass integration though, but this should be a top system http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129990.new#new

Latest posts

Back