New Neolith stuff

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50,000 overpriced. Unless they were performing at less than 40% of their potential in the Munich rooms

Can we keep this thread hush from Rich?

Seriously though - Martin Logan are doing really well. Exciting times.

Last edited:
MBL101E vs Neolith.

Neolith.

I heard the MBL101E at Audio Connection in Sydney. What an awesome loudspeaker! I didn't get the price but it would have to be way more expensie than the CLXs. I thought he 101E had huge bass punch and CLX like delicacy and soundstaging - nice!

I also heard a pair of Gryphon Pendragon line source speakers -stupendous sound and a bargain at $180,000 (Australian) recommended retail delivered and set up in your listening room. If I had the dollars, I would love to own a pair of Pendragons. But the CLXs offer a big chunk of that sound for way less money - even if you add some ML subwoofers, you'll still have lots of change left in your pocket.

Martin Logan speakers really aren't all that expensive when compared with true high end loudspeaker manufacturers and ML offer sound quality that's up there or approaching the best loudspeakers you can buy.

Last edited:
Chacun à son goût, Justin. OTOH, no one I know has heard the Neoliths. Have they been publicly demo'd anywhere?

See my Munich thread for multiple videos etc. Heard them with bonzo.

Heard the 101E and 101E Xtremes a few times. I'd rather have the Xtremes than the Neoltihs, but the Neolith gibes better scale than the 101E, which I am a sucker for. Also, I think I prefer 116F bass to the 101E. 101E mid range and up is excellent, though.

$80K is too much for the Neolith but it is much more substantial than the CLX, so it should cost more than that.

50,000 overpriced. Unless they were performing at less than 40% of their potential in the Munich rooms

Ricardo from Ab Sounds commented that in his opinion, the Munich demo was somewhat compromised by ML running additional sub's in concert with the Neoltih's, and that he had heard them performing most impressively whilst running as designed.

Ricardo from Ab Sounds commented that in his opinion, the Munich demo was somewhat compromised by ML running additional sub's in concert with the Neoltih's, and that he had heard them performing most impressively whilst running as designed.

I didn't see any additional sub's over 2 days.

I bet bonzo didn't either. None of my photos or videos show them either. Bonzo liked the Neolith less than I did I think.

Confusing.

I didn't see any additional sub's over 2 days.

I bet bonzo didn't either. None of my photos or videos show them either. Bonzo liked the Neolith less than I did I think.

Confusing.

Curious, Perhaps I miss-understood him?*&%$?, he certainly commented that he had previously heard the Neolith performing much more to his liking than during the Munich show.

what's the difference between CLX, CLX ART, and CLX Anniversary?

The cost to manufacture a Neolith comprises at minimum its total factory cost, namely, first, cost of manufacture of the separate parts, this includes product design development, cost of machinery used to fabricate parts if done in house and not outsourced and wages paid to machine operators. Second, payment to assembly line workers. Third, factory overhead or common costs if other products are also being manufactured in the factory utilizing same resources.

In addition to the basic cost of creating a Neolith there are other expenses that are necessary to deliver the Neolith to the retailer or authorized dealer. These expenses include portion of ML company administrative effort, marketing effort, and distributing effort attached to Neolith.

In my subjective opinion manufacturing a Neolith should cost just a little amount more than making a Summit X. The price established by management, $ 80,000, makes this product affordable to a fewer number of customers than lets say Summit X. Due to high price fewer units will be sold the fixed cost of manufacture per unit will be on the high side compared to Summit X. Therefore even though total cost of making Summit and Neolith will be close together the fewer units sold of Neolith due to high market price will increase cost per Neolith.

Conclusion:
I am sure that the Neolith is very competitive in the $80000 loudspeaker range. Neolith should contribute most profit per unit compared to other ML products. If Neoliths sell in budgeted quantities then Martin Logan shareholders may see increase in the value of their shares.

Last edited:
MBL101E vs Neolith.

Neolith.

Sorry my friend.

Suffice to say I'm "hooked" on MBL, its 360 degree dispersion pattern, their dimensionality /ability to recreate the "space" of a musical event, and the way they fully energize a room and engage the listener. I mainly listen to classical and jazz.

I intend to find a used pair of 101EMKI's for around $20K and a pair of Bryston28Bsst2 mono amps in the $13K range.

By "hi end" standards, not an outrageous amount of money and a system that I firmly believe I will be very happy with "till death do us part". :D

Gordon

Jerry is still hooked in his 116Fs. No need to apologise Gordon, I wasn't digging at you. I respect your choice MBLs are great speakers.

Since my primary residence is in Las Vegas I am fortunate enough to spend a reasonable amount of time each year at CES. During the January 2011 show, while I was in the ML room primarily discussing center channels with Peter Soderberg and Paul Grove (belated congrats to Paul on his promotion) they mentioned a new project that was in the crayon stage. They said it would not be a revival of the Statement e2 but would be high end and have statement like SQ. Note the small s in statement like. BTW Roberto was wandering in and out of the room at the same time and was lusting over a pair of CLX's. If the Neolith is the final product then this crayon to creation was approximately 4 years in the making.

While I didn't ask his permission, let me share with you the comments emailed to me in early August from long time Martin Logan employee Dana Brown.

"I have heard the Neolith and I must say that they are impressive in everyway. Joe Vojtko has really outdone himself on these and they are the best sounding Martin Logan speakers I have had the opportunity to demo. I would definitely try and track these down to demo for yourself once they are released, I would love to hear your take on them."

I am sure Dana heard them under good listening conditions. As for the price, I too was playing the guessing game and guessed $60,000. I have not seen an official price release but would suspect the $80,000 comment coming out of CEDIA has some validity. This $80k price tag doesn't shock me as I have been in manufacturing most of my life and am very familiar with products that do not have economies of scale. Will I buy at $80K? Possibly. Maybe even probably. I currently have CLX's within a 7.1 system powered by a pair of Bryston 28B SST^2 and 4 subs. My rears are Prodigys and they are in a room that is 17'Wx43'Lx12'H. I think the Neoliths would work well where the CLX's now stand and then choose the Prodigys or CLX's as rears.

As a high school student in the late 60's in the Pacific Northwest my thinking is summed up by a line in a hit song from what was then one of my favorite local bands "Kicks just keep getting harder to find".

Regards,
Gary

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back