Pass Labs x250.5 vs Einstein Light in the Dark amp.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwayslearning

Reaction score
For Summit X speakers & my tubed Zesto Leto preamp, I'm debating between the Pass Labs x250.5 or the the Einstein Light in the Dark hybrid amp. Is the Einstein powerful enough & able to deal with the impedence swings?

I hope to hear from folks who have heard the x250.5 & Einstein Light in the Dark, as well as a pros/cons with both.

Should you have strong feelings about viable/ 'more musical' alternative amps, contribute as well. Much obliged, Ken

Had the 250.5 with the Summits for some five years. No complaints.

Still have the amp with my MBL's. No complaints.

See Dave's comment above.

No experience with the Einstein.

Sounds like both are winners

Thanks for your thoughts.
It sounds like both would work great. As I enjoy the sound of tubes, and I'm not driving any demanding woofers, I'm leaning towards the Einstein Light in the Dark. It should be a great match to my Leto Zesto tube preamplifier
Your supportive thoughts are appreciated.

Two years ago I was visiting with Roger Sanders, the founder of Sanders Audio. Roger said "Most people just don't realize how much power it takes to really make electrostatics sing". BTW the Sanders amps are excellent for ML's. Let me give you 500 and 3 reasons for choosing the Pass Labs X250.5. At 4 ohms these are a striking 500 watts per channel. At 4 ohms what are the Einsteins?

1. Pass Labs are well known and highly regarded on the used market so if you wish to sell them at a later date it will be easier.
2. The build quality on Nelson Pass' is as good as it gets.
3. I have never heard any Pass Labs amp owners (and I've been an audiophile longer than there have been Pass Labs') that was not completely happy with the product.

Gary

Good luck al.

Sounds like you had your mind made up and you were looking for someone to talk you out of it. Don't care as long as you are happy.

I read the review you posted above.

Sounds alot like the sound of the 250.5, which, all things being equal, have finesse in spades.

I'd be concerned about the power rating given my 5 years experience with the Summits. They like power to really sing.

Best,

GG

keep us posted as to your findings, hopefully the HF won't experience to much of a roll off(a general concern with tubes and stats)

Back