Power Wire/cords for Montis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux

Reaction score
Do you recommend any brands ( active bass + panel ) or just use the standard cord ?

Do you recommend any brands ( active bass + panel ) or just use the standard cord ?

I hope the Montis has power cable sockets like CLX and not Electromotion. If the CLX power cable can attach to Montis then it should be more than adequate. I use a pair of CLX cable for my CLS. I am satisfied with the performance.

I hope the Montis has power cable sockets like CLX and not Electromotion. If the CLX power cable can attach to Montis then it should be more than adequate. I use a pair of CLX cable for my CLS. I am satisfied with the performance.
Just to add to it: there was a guy here a while ago who said that he got better performance from his CLXes by using an after-market power cord that was built especially for them, in Italy, I think. He left, mad, after the skepticism he got in response.

I ended up with Red Dawn, Nordost. I have not got the new Montis yet, but there is a difference on the Quads I am currently using. Indeed there is a difference. Sound stage is wider, the speakers are vanishing, and especially the bass is way more tight than before. The autoformers on the Macs need some tightening up in the bass region (due to the damping factor?) - and the power chords did help a lot. Go figure!!

Hi Redux, do you have any power work done on your system, e.g. separate circuit breakers, or power regenerator/conditioner/etc? Think the effect of after market cables is greater if that's the case

No, I only have a Power Bar with a in-plug filter that blocks interference and to improve dynamics for heavy loads + power strips to distribute the power homogeneously to all outlets.

They do make a difference irrespective of what others might say/think. How much of a difference and whether it is worth the $ is obviously up to you. When I had my Summits I tried the stock PCs, Audioquest NRG-3 and Shunyata Venom 3. The differences I heard were mostly in the bass (tighter, more articulate) going from stock to the AQs. From AQ to the Shunyatas, I actually heard little to no difference in the bass, but a bit better and overall clarity.

They do make a difference irrespective of what others might say/think. How much of a difference and whether it is worth the $ is obviously up to you. When I had my Summits I tried the stock PCs, Audioquest NRG-3 and Shunyata Venom 3. The differences I heard were mostly in the bass (tighter, more articulate) going from stock to the AQs. From AQ to the Shunyatas, I actually heard little to no difference in the bass, but a bit better and overall clarity.

Of course a blind test would reveal all these type of comments to be false as they have in the past

If power cords or speaker wire makes that big a difference in the sound quality your brain perceives from the same speaker being fed by your unchanged power source then wouldn't manufacturers just raise prices and sell all this good sound themselves?

If power cords or speaker wire makes that big a difference in the sound quality your brain perceives from the same speaker being fed by your unchanged power source then wouldn't manufacturers just raise prices and sell all this good sound themselves?

No. They are not in that business. It's like saying wouldn't components and speakers put good feet below, the answer is no. The Logans itself will sound so much better if you get the right feet and/or angle. They don't even give you 3 feet which is good to level something, they give you 4. Anyone who does DIY on opening expensive components will have found many cheap parts.

So, why don't the speaker manufacturers also bundle inn the very best /matching amplifier or at least a good/matching speaker cable? Or at least a netfilter? I believe it's due to costs and logistics. I may want to put money in Martin Logan speakers, but maybe I would prefer to purchase power cables according to my own taste.

I am surprised by all the cable discussions. The differences between stock cables and after market cables can be very obvious in the right conditions. I was very surprised myself at first, but now I don't understand the discussions or disagreements. It's like having a discussion about if the sun is rising in the east or in the west IMHO.

So, why don't the speaker manufacturers also bundle inn the very best /matching amplifier or at least a good/matching speaker cable? Or at least a netfilter? I believe it's due to costs and logistics. I may want to put money in Martin Logan speakers, but maybe I would prefer to purchase power cables according to my own taste.

I am surprised by all the cable discussions. The differences between stock cables and after market cables can be very obvious in the right conditions. I was very surprised myself at first, but now I don't understand the discussions or disagreements. It's like having a discussion about if the sun is rising in the east or in the west IMHO.

Amen, brother..

A would only add 1 comment to your excellent post - the degree of sonic benefit from cables (or any component/speaker) is usually directly related to the ability of your system to resolve music. This is usually but not always also related to overall system $. Net - a $200 boombox w/detachable speakers will yield minimal improvement when changing speaker cables or the power cord vs $100K audio system. Yes, this is an extreme but it still makes my point.

Why cables, there are people who don't hear differences between dacs and cd players, some even between amplifiers. The UK forum has a lot of them. They apply some half understood physics to say only speakers make the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back