Integrated Amp Choice?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scangle

Reaction score
Will the NAD C375CAD be a good choice to power the Motion 40 speakers? How about other amp recommendations? Any recommendations for a cd player? Thanks!

Will the NAD C375CAD be a good choice to power the Motion 40 speakers? How about other amp recommendations? Any recommendations for a cd player? Thanks!

Please, if possible listen to Martin Logan Electromotion with Anthem 225 integrated and Oppo 103 player.

Priced close together however large jump in performance from Motion 40 to Electromotion.

A short time ago I heard the Electrostatic Electromotion with Anthem MRX 510 receiver and Marantz entry level universal player. Sounded excellent except for the fact the vocals were very subdued and bass very weak. The receiver very good match even if not suited for large or even medium sized rooms. The audio gear was out of the box and not run in.

First listen to Electromotion with Anthem integrated. Then MRX 510 receiver.

Last edited:

Hi,
Not to long ago I picked up a Plinius Houtanga which may work nicely for you.

Best,
Bob

Motion 40s are very easy to drive. I'm currently using a Marantz NR1603 (50wpc) with a little passive bi-amping and it sound pretty solid. I think you'll find that integrated will do the job just fine.

RAH said:
Priced close together however large jump in performance from Motion 40 to Electromotion.

I definitely don't agree with that. EMs are harder to drive, harder to place and IMO doesn't sound anywhere near as true as the Motion 40s. Besides that isn't what he was asking. He likely already has a pair of Motion 40s and is wanting to pair a power source.

I'm flat earth. I don't see a used Krell as a great value compared to a new Rogue audio. I never got into the Krell kool-aid anyway...but the arbitrary high pricing of the gear gives it this halo effect. I doubt that anyone could tell Krell from any number of less costly brands in a double blind test.

I'm flat earth. I don't see a used Krell as a great value compared to a new Rogue audio. I never got into the Krell kool-aid anyway...but the arbitrary high pricing of the gear gives it this halo effect. I doubt that anyone could tell Krell from any number of less costly brands in a double blind test.

I always wondered about that. The threshold where spending more money = better sound has to end somewhere.

Well, I'm just sick of the hype. The hyper-pricing , especially of stuff that's actually made in China. How often does someone TRULY listen and audition vs just look at price tags and go from there? There are other choices that sound as good as Krell for less money. Problem is....no one tests the stuff logically it's all this price opinionalysis. I have read total nonsense that "Amps just don't sound that good below the $10,000 price point". Nonsense. If it takes a blind test...fine.... but $2200 for a USED integrated? No thanks.

What's hype to you may not be to someone else. I would suggest you understand / accept that fact.

Neither you, I, or anyone else is the arbiter of truth, perception, and value thereof.

And please, no DBT bs discussion.

What's hype to you may not be to someone else. I would suggest you understand / accept that fact.

Neither you, I, or anyone else is the arbiter of truth, perception, and value thereof.

And please, no DBT bs discussion.

Ok you are right, DBT is not BS, that's just YOUR perception.

Man, measurements and testing just don't work on magic....right?

You're also right. It is my perception and, more importantly, my strong belief.

Check out the "Conclusive Proof" thread on the What's Best Forum / Main Discussion section of their website.

Get comfortable. You may find it interesting if you want to read through some 1,000+ posts on the "objective" topic and the validity of "tests".

Motion 40s are very easy to drive. I'm currently using a Marantz NR1603 (50wpc) with a little passive bi-amping and it sound pretty solid. I think you'll find that integrated will do the job just fine.

I definitely don't agree with that. EMs are harder to drive, harder to place and IMO doesn't sound anywhere near as true as the Motion 40s. Besides that isn't what he was asking. He likely already has a pair of Motion 40s and is wanting to pair a power source.

With all due respect for your and every one elses subjective opinion. Our views on audio equipment are subjective and based on our experience with them.

Before listening to Anthem MRX 510 receiver attached to latest arrival of EMs, I had listened to EMs with Marantz and Adcom amplification. My view of EM was similar to yours namely they were hard to drive. The Motion 40 was more dynamic with less powerful amplifiers and sounded very good too.

However the latest arrival of EM in Karachi and Martin logan associated company, formerly Sonic Frontiers, that is Anthem produced a delicate, detailed, deep, transparent and very informative high resolution stable sound stage. EM matched with the Anthem 510 receiver produced exquisite true high end sound primarily because of the ESL in EM. ESL is absent in Motion 40 and therefore there is a jump in performance from Motion 40 to EM.

Not heard New Acoustic Dimension with MLs. So hard to express an accurate view. I have listened to NAD integrated ( not the latest model with the D/A converter ) and Motion 40, not together but in different systems at different times and at different locations. Each product performs very well. Based on listening separately and on product specifications I would agree with you that New Acoustic Dimension amplifier may be well suited for the Motion 40s.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Well, I'm just sick of the hype. The hyper-pricing , especially of stuff that's actually made in China. How often does someone TRULY listen and audition vs just look at price tags and go from there? There are other choices that sound as good as Krell for less money. Problem is....no one tests the stuff logically it's all this price opinionalysis. I have read total nonsense that "Amps just don't sound that good below the $10,000 price point". Nonsense. If it takes a blind test...fine.... but $2200 for a USED integrated? No thanks.

Actually, I would say Panel owners should logically not be driven by price tags. They have been perceptive enough to realize lower cost panels blow away boxes much more expensive, hence they trust their ears. Actually, of all the forums I have seen, the ML one is the least price sensitive, with a lot of owners happy with what they have instead of box swapping and upgrading constantly.

Fyi, my current dream speakers retail at 15k, the best pre I have heard retails at 8k, and the best dac is at 7k.

Actually, I would say Panel owners should logically not be driven by price tags. They have been perceptive enough to realize lower cost panels blow away boxes much more expensive, hence they trust their ears. Actually, of all the forums I have seen, the ML one is the least price sensitive, with a lot of owners happy with what they have instead of box swapping and upgrading constantly.

Fyi, my current dream speakers retail at 15k, the best pre I have heard retails at 8k, and the best dac is at 7k.

accurate observation, to which I agree ……….

Latest posts

Back