System #487 (Theos)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krozyck

Reaction score
Ken Rozycki
Minneapolis Mn
Theos fronts, Motif center, Motion FX surounds, Dynamo 1000 sub
Yamaha RX-A3030 receiver bi-amp to Theos
Blue Jeans cable
Purchased 2014

Please give me your suggestions on how to improve. All suggestions are more than welcomed. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
Great-looking set of Theos. As has been discussed in these pages, your Theos will greatly benefit with a high-current, stable (into 2 ohms) power amp.

His Yamaha Aventage receiver is spec'd to 2ohm stereo stable. Unless it doesn't get as loud as you'd like then I'd look into an external power amp. IMO the table and that side couch are in less than optimal places but then again I know how WAF and general use come to play in a room.

His Yamaha Aventage receiver is spec'd to 2ohm stereo stable. Unless it doesn't get as loud as you'd like then I'd look into an external power amp. IMO the table and that side couch are in less than optimal places but then again I know how WAF and general use come to play in a room.

Agreed. Table? Gone. Side lounge? Gone.

I'd go a step further and remove the TV too.

As for WAF - tell her you won't interfere with how the kitchen or bedroom or bathroom are set up. 3 rooms for her vs 1 room for you is not a bad deal.

I own a pair of Theos and I am looking to get a center soon unfortunately there isn't any shops around me to demo out the Motif center how do you like it? How would you compare it to the EM-C2?

Welcome fellow Motif owner! My mains are Vistas. My living room is the mirror image of yours!

I originally had my center where yours is, then moved it to the top of the tv stand, and now it works much better above the tv. I tried all sorts of settings on my pre-pro as well as using the on-wall/off-wall switch on the Motif but it always sounded just a bit "boxy" until it was placed above the tv.

My mains have moved many times trying to chase better imaging and minimizing bass bloat in certain seating locations. Currently my mains are 6' from the front wall and 40" from the side walls to the center of the curvilinear front of the electrostatic panel. If my room were flipped to match yours, the width is 13' from the side wall to the left of your tv to the far right side wall on other side of the hallway. My ceiling is vaulted so to the left of your tv it's 8' high and on the far right it's 10-1/2' high. Using some of the speaker placement formulas you come up with where my speakers ended up, (knowing the formula would've saved me some time), I used trial and error to get to where I am. The bass is now the smoothest it's ever been in the sweet spot as well as across the seating area, which is a straight sofa and a chair next to sofa. I measured the bass spf for each frequency manually just watching for peaks and nulls.

When the mains were close to the front wall I experienced mid and high confusion and not very good image. A couple feet into room and things improved. At about 3' the mids, highs, and image started coming into focus, but bass was still an issue. At 5', things really snapped into focus and the bass was only a problem on one side of the sweet spot, it was bloated and boomy. That one extra foot made a pretty big difference for expanding the sweet spot!

For the last week I've been moving diy absorption panels all over the place. I won't really have time till the weekend to play some more, but I'll probably end up with just a few first reflection and some bass trapps.

I've found that at lower volumes a lot of amps will work just fine, but when I moved into this house and was able to crank the volume, I was in the hunt for a really good amp and preamp. I am very happy with what I now have.

I hope some of this info helps.

I own a pair of Theos and I am looking to get a center soon unfortunately there isn't any shops around me to demo out the Motif center how do you like it?

I noticed you're in IL. You might try the Magnolia Design Center next to Best Buy in Chicago on North Elston Ave. I haven't been there in the last 10 months but they used to have a Motif for demo. There's a smaller store in Schaumburg.

Latest posts

Back