OLED first impressions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
So long story short I currently work at an electronics retailer and we just set up the LG 55" 9700 OLED (after 4 months of badgering management) and wow. I have been selling tv's and audio for abt 2.5 years and OLED is the best picture I have seen bar none (I have a friend who has a zt60). Just wondering what other people had for opinions on OLED? Talked to our samsung rep and he had said that the reason samsung isnt doing OLED this year is because of the high failure rate on the panel which makes for high cost tv's. He also said many of the panels developed defects or a short amount of time such as dead pixels. Do you guys think 4K (UHD) or OLED is the way of the future? And before I forget, incase someone is wondering yes the oled we have is "bendable" to some degree, havent pushed it but we have flexed it abt half an inch with zero issues. The colors that are produced by the panel is so deep and rich that I honestly think it looks better than 4k in the 55" size ( even though 4k is supposed to be geared towards 60+)

So long story short I currently work at an electronics retailer and we just set up the LG 55" 9700 OLED (after 4 months of badgering management) and wow. I have been selling tv's and audio for abt 2.5 years and OLED is the best picture I have seen bar none (I have a friend who has a zt60). Just wondering what other people had for opinions on OLED? Talked to our samsung rep and he had said that the reason samsung isnt doing OLED this year is because of the high failure rate on the panel which makes for high cost tv's. He also said many of the panels developed defects or a short amount of time such as dead pixels. Do you guys think 4K (UHD) or OLED is the way of the future? And before I forget, incase someone is wondering yes the oled we have is "bendable" to some degree, havent pushed it but we have flexed it abt half an inch with zero issues. The colors that are produced by the panel is so deep and rich that I honestly think it looks better than 4k in the 55" size ( even though 4k is supposed to be geared towards 60+)
\

Many of us have been using OLED displays for years in our phones.

Yes I know some phones and the ps vita have oled screens but it is interesting to see thechnology move into tv's and hopefully they push it more now that panasonic doesnt make plasmas anymore.... I personally hate LED panels because of the terrible black levels.

Until the MFT goes down and life time goes way up, I think it will be a while . Different color OLEDs fail at different rates causing mid term issues.

I didn't know there was a 9700 model. Are you sure about the model number? Is it in the US? As far as I know there are only three 55" models OLED in th states: 9300, 8800 and 9800 (9700 is 4K, not OLED). I also did not know that one of them was bendable.

BTW, the next OLED series coming out Sept/Oct will be 4K (65" and 77") with 10 BIT display.

Yup 100% sure the model is 55EA9700, might only be available in Canada however it should also be available in the US. Retails at $4999.99 was on sale a few times at $3999.99 . Excited to see that LG is still developing the technology but IMO they wont push OLED until 4k has a foot hold.

Back