Good Planar feedback

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
From a guy on Audio Asylum

=========================

I have heard the Audio Exklusiv stats but to me they sound a bit dynamically dead. Not terribly impressive.

I have owned the following planars:
Audiostatic ES100
Infinity Modulus satellites (planar tweeter)
Infinity IRS Beta
Apogee Caliper Signature
Acoustat 1+1
Acoustat Spectra 2200
Acoustat Spectra 4400
DIY planar magnetic hybrid with Bohlender Graebener RD28.1 planar and 10 inch Peerless woofer and Accuphase F25 active xover

While I owned only one pair of Apogees nearly all my hifi buddies have or have had them as well. Three friends have Apogee Scintillas, one friend has Studio Grands and Centaur Majors, another friend had Divas and then went to Apogee Grands (one of only 7 pairs in the world) and another friend has Full Ranges AND Grands. So, I have heard just about everything Apogee made and I would not say that Analysis Audio is better. Slightly different sounding...particularly the bass, but not really better IMO (I have heard Analysis probably six or seven times at shows). THe first Apogee Duetta is darkish sounding but the Signature series was much better balanced with nice open mids and highs.

NAT + Analysis should be good if one is using the more powerful models of NAT. My friend with the Grands used 6 NAT monoblocks to drive his fully active speakers. One pair of SE3, a pair of SE2SE and a pair of SE1 for the tweeter. The heat generated was amazing but so was the sound.

Of all the planars I owned I am most fond of my Acoustat Spectra 2200 with the Spectra 4400 acting as giant subwoofer panels (active crossover at 80 Hz and the 2200s running full range). The transparency was close to the Audiostatics (most transparent but overall limited) but the coherence was far superior to everything else on the list except the Audiostatics. Bass was otherworldly and more natural sounding than the Betas servo controlled bass towers. I find I preferred them to most of the other Ribbon or planar based speakers I have owned/heard.

Back