Any other big amps that should be considered?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Some of you already know that I am looking at the Cary 211 and the Plinius Ref.

Any other amps that you guys have experience with that you recommend and I should have on my radar?

I've heard the Class M600 amps and they sounded very nice as well. Heard the Mcintosh MC601 but for some reason I didn't like them as much on the BW802 Diamonds though... not sure?

Amps? There is no end of great amps you can consider.

We live in the age of audiophile utopia. There are great amps everywhere.

Classé - yeah, I'd recommend them of course! But I've also heard great things from Lamm, Technical Brain, Ayre. Big Krells are always great, and Justin's Austria Analogue monos are just damn sexy.

But certainly have a listen to the Technical Brain TBP-Zero if you can - it is amazing! And then there's everything from the Graaf OTLs to the big Gryphon and Goldumnd solid states.

Oh, and all the yummy stuff from ARC and Ypsilon !! :)

There is no end of choice. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Any other amps that you guys have experience with that you recommend and I should have on my radar?
Well, it all depends on how deep your pockets are! Here's a list in no particular order:
  1. Ayre Acoustics MX-R
  2. Manley Neo-Classic 250
  3. GamuT M250i
  4. D'Agostino Momentum
  5. VTL monos
  6. Lamm Hybrids
In addition, you still have the well-known brands of Krell, Levinson, BAT, Pass Labs, ARC, VAC, etc... Have fun shopping!

So many amps, so little time it seems.

Looks like I'll be doing a merry go round for a little while to see which fits my tastes best when the time comes.

Well, it all depends on how deep your pockets are! Here's a list in no particular order:
  1. Ayre Acoustics MX-R
  2. Manley Neo-Classic 250
  3. GamuT M250i
  4. D'Agostino Momentum
  5. VTL monos
  6. Lamm Hybrids
In addition, you still have the well-known brands of Krell, Levinson, BAT, Pass Labs, ARC, VAC, etc... Have fun shopping!

Looks like albert porter has some VTL 750 mono blocks for sale. Dallas TX too... would be an easy 20 minute drive for me. Plus I'd get to see his Focal Grande Utopia system that'll blow mine out of the water. :)

Crap... found Mcintosh MC601 mono blocks about 30 minutes away from me too... all 3. The VTL 750, Cary 211, and the MC601 are about the same price and within 30 minutes of me.

Good luck.

How are you going to address all of the variables in the various set-ups and be confident you are hearing the actual sound of the amp under audition?

Crap... found Mcintosh MC601 mono blocks about 30 minutes away from me too... all 3. The VTL 750, Cary 211, and the MC601 are about the same price and within 30 minutes of me.
Joey, I've a pair of MB450 sigs in perfect shape I'd be happy to sell you, but IME they didn't compare favorably with the Sanders ESL, which is a fantastic amp for ML's.

It's great when you have an embarrassment of choice. Why don't you buy all three :)devil:), try them all out, then sell the two that you eliminate.

All he needs to do, Justin, is buy your speakers and those Cary 211 amps, to get close to what you have. Are your speakers about the same size as the CLXes?

Now I get it, Dave......you buy your amps by weight!!! :)

Funny you say that Bernard, for IMO, there is actually a correlation between weight and quality. With that being said, having listened to the Apollo's, they are a great pair of amps.

All he needs to do, Justin, is buy your speakers and those Cary 211 amps, to get close to what you have. Are your speakers about the same size as the CLXes?

And a Lampizator level 7 with Cunningham CX-345 tubes from the 1920s:)

Not far off CLX size. He won't buy them... too much of a gamble for him. It'd pay off big style though:rocker: Well, according to me but what do I know?:)

I'd add the Jeff Rowland 925s to your aspiration list of top amps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back