Any other big amps that should be considered?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having drooled over Audioseduction/George's system (and having heard a number of other non ML setups driven with Pass amps), I 3rd that!

I have heard the SoundLabs U1 tear the Sh*t out of some very exotic amps a Swiss brand that excapes me now along with the big mono Macs but the Pass units handle that freaky load like its butter and sounds better too

I have heard the SoundLabs U1 tear the Sh*t out of some very exotic amps a Swiss brand that excapes me now along with the big mono Macs but the Pass units handle that freaky load like its butter and sounds better too

The Swiss amps I can think of are FM Acoustics, Nagra and DarTZeeL -was it one of those? All are well regarded amps BTW, and all are stratosphericly priced.

The Swiss amps I can think of are FM Acoustics, Nagra and DarTZeeL -was it one of those? All are well regarded amps BTW, and all are stratosphericly priced.

CH Precision or Goldmund??

Two more that are highly regarded and stratospherically priced!

Both are excellent - along with the ones Tim mentioned above.

Check out Solution too - but I haven't heard them. Nor have I heard Swissnor?? valve amps, but they certainly look the part!

Wow Joey - there is so much choice! If Cary is your favourite then great - but certainly don't let it start and stop there.

Last edited:
FM Acoustics

Thanx for the refresh it was a FM Acoustics unit after the install of the new x-former upgrade the user was complaining the amp was clipping .....

Does size matter?

Will the Kronzilla DX qualify as a "big amp"? Sheesh, look at the size of that thing!! At 30cm long, the T1610 tube makes the KT88 look puny.
Link to KR Audio Kronzilla DX

Kronzilla Pics.jpg

These Kronzillas are supposed to be really good. One guy actually preferred them to his NATs, he said these were the only ones he would change for. But not sure they can drive a B&W. Actually these class of amps will be way superior to the usual suspects IMO, given the difference I saw between NATs and Audio Research. But B&W is best driven by Krell like SS stuff.

Joey, you might also keep your eyes open for a used C-J Premier 350 amp (like mine). It ranks as one of the best solid-state stereo amps out there, but is no longer manufactured. Unlike the Pass or high powered tube amps, it runs relatively cool. Unfortunately, those of us lucky enough to own one rarely put them up for sale.

If we're looking at amps by the pound then we must consider the Boulder 3050's. Weighing in at 450 lbs. and delivering 1500 watts of class A power per channel, these amps are BIG. And priced at only(cough, cough) $205,000.

On a more realistic note the MBL 9007's are one of my favorites.

Latest posts

Back