Flight Plan (DTS)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Title: Flight Plan (DTS)
Year of Release: 2005
Film Studio: Touchtone / Disney
Genre: Action / Suspense / Thriller

Robert Schwentke directs this emotional high-flying airplane suspense / thriller. He uses the power of emotions to lead us on a suspenseful journey with a newly grieving widow as well as her six-year-old daughter. The mother and daughter are bringing back the body husband / father to America from Germany, where they had been living. The daughter’s angelic, sad face - acting is just right here, as “Julia” the daughter, played by Marlene Lawston is the innocent we have emotions for in this story. “Kyle Pratt” is the mother played by Jodie Foster is grieving and trying to be strong during this sad journey back to America. Foster’s character also happens to work for the airline designing aircraft engines. Her daughter is kidnapped and foster must find her. Is this just a mother’s nightmare… or just a delusion? There is a whole lot more to the plot than what I’ve just mentioned, but suffice it to say it is quite an odyssey for the mother to find her daughter on the huge Aalto E-474 jumbo jet liner. In my previous review of “Panic Room” Foster had the same mother and daughter in peril theme. Flight Plan is a bit different in the set of circumstances (Aalto E-474 jumbo jet liner) and a younger daughter involved. However, Foster does not disappoint in this film, she plays “Momma Bear Protecting Her Young” very well, again. Once again Foster is playing a full range of emotions here, grief, sadness, anger, revenge and love all at the same time and she does it very convincingly. Strong and convincing performances by Sean Bean as the head pilot, who wants to be sympathetic, but suspects Kyle is delusional. Peter Sarsgaard as the Air Marshall and Kate Beahan as the Head Stewardess gave wonderful, believable supporting performances as well.

My favorite seem is Foster’s look of self doubt as the psychologist (Greta Scacchi) on the plane talks with her about the loss of her husband and daughter. When Foster breathes on the window only to illuminate a small heart, which could have only been drawn by a small child’s narrow finger. Then Foster's look of resolve and determination / resolve to do whatever it takes to find her daughter. And in the background the therapist blathers on and on… Foster is totally believable luminous, with an inner fire that lights up the screen, which makes Flight Plan such a very entertaining film to enjoy. :D

This DVD fortunately has DTS sound which for this particular film is very much needed to deliver the dynamic special effects sound desired from all five of my ML speakers, as well as my Sony tower rears…
I have found that when a newly made film like Flight Plan (2005) is released for the first time and it has been given DTS on DVD, it is always so much more dynamic, just a better version of the DTS sound. So much more dynamic, than films with DTS added later on to the DVD version, like To Kill A Mockingbird (1962). My point is the DTS added later to older films is good, but the DTS in the newer made film is very much better, to my ears anyway… :D There are a couple of good “Bonus” features as well: “The Making of Flight Plan” and “Cabin Pressure: Designing the Aalto E-474”.

I really enjoyed Flight Plan. Personally, I just hate to fly now I’m terrified… :eek: I’d see Flight Plan again though. I highly recommend it to all of you to enjoy as well, even if you are afraid to fly...

:D HT relaxed comfortably surrounded in ML bliss, until next time let the movies turn you on…

Attachments

• B000BYY11Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B000BYY11Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 20,634
Back