Summit panel at 60% humidity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBT

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had this problem for some time ago when one panel gets 1 or 2 db quiter at some times. I managed to connect this problem with humidity levels at 60% or above. Also, before it got so pronounced I was getting very delicate popping sound out of lower right part of the panel. Pushing gently panels with my fingers (compress) gave quite audible static noise and after that popping went away (irregardless of humidity). Closer examination shown no dust or particles stock in the panel, also panel was vacuumed regularly. At ~450Hz I may get some buzzing sound coming directly out off culprit area of the panel. Now I have the panel dismantled and see no separation nor wrinkling.

I'd like to hear any opinions on the topic before I decide to give them a bath.

P.S. I went through similar problem with Vista, where showering panels didn't help and I'd like to avoid spending $2500 for Summit panels

P.S. #2, at humidity higher (75% up) both speakers are not too pleasant to listen too.....

Hi MrBT

I noticed the same with my ML Clarities. They sound crisp and clear with the airconditioner on and muffled with the airconditioner off and windows open. Humidity levels here in Hong Kong are 70%+ and ML as a product has failed here.

My left panel is now 3db quieter than the right. I have to compensate by increasing the listener levels on my Anthem amp by +3db.

I swapped power supplies, no change. I will swap panels next and see if it is a panel/board issue.

first off why would you subject your home to those kind of humidity levels ? The 60% is not that horrible but the 75% ??? you obviously don't have central A/C so at a minimum get yourself a de-humidifier for your listening room.

Yes - humidity certainly affects the panels.

Mine don't sound too good in high humidity either - but if there is a discrepancy between different speakers then something is definitely wrong - contact ML service.

As above though - get the humidity below 60% or so.

Hi Amey and Twitch

Apartments are small in HK (avg of 500 sqft!). Mine is close to 800sqft and still a listening room is a luxury! I do have a dehumidifier, but the windows have to be opened every now and then to vent the air. I re-Mylar'd and re-coated the panels in Sep last year, so will just do the same once again in case the panels die on me.

Today, another major issue cropped up. I plan to start a thread on it for help.

I recently picked up a used Anthem MRX-700 to replace the Anthem MRX-300 I was using. Within the first few days of using it I noticed the music pulling to the left. I got out the SPL meter and found that the RIGHT Clarity panel output was suddenly lower by 3db (as in my previous posting). To test whether it was the speaker or the amp, I swapped speakers (R to L) and concluded it was a speaker issue.

Today, two weeks later, the panel of the swapped working speaker now on the RIGHT suddenly goes dead but the blue LED still comes on when the music starts. The woofer is working, but the panel is dead. When I pumped up the decibels and put my ear to the panel, I can hear very very faint highs from just one corner of the panel. Otherwise, the entire panel is just dead.

Could this be a speaker problem only or did the amplifier cause this? Two panels damaged on the same RIGHT channel of the amp. Is there some current leakage or something else?

Oddly, in both cases the blue panel LED’s of both speakers light up when the music starts.

I’m confused as to what to do? If it is the MRX-700, can such a problem even exist? Or is it the speaker boards? How can I get this repaired/stop this from happening again.

Just FYI, I re-Mylar’d and recoated the panels in Sep2015 using the ERAudio coating. The Clarity’s worked just fine till I got this Anthem MRX-700. I used the Anthem MRX-300 before this and never noticed any sound drop.

My 1st ML's were Sequel's, I then had them in a home with no A/C, one year here in Tucson AZ we had 10inches of rain in 2 days (not much to some folks but, freakish here). The speakers sounded like a wet rag was over them, electrostats do NOT like humidity Period! If you don't have A/C or a dehumidifer you should look for box speakers.

Back