Live Shows

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Have been watching a lot of live baroque and classical recently. Had watched a couple of big shows sometime back, now been going regularly to St. Martin's, a small church venue known for its baroque music

Somethings already heard and coming up

Bach – Brandenburg Concerto No. 4
Arne – Harpsichord Concerto
Vivaldi – Summer from the Four Seasons
CPE Bach – String Symphony No. 2 in B flat
Bach – Brandenburg Concerto No. 5

Piano Concert:
Mozart – Sonata in A, K331 ‘Alla Turca’
Beethoven – Sonata Op.27 No.2 ‘Moonlight’
Schubert – Impromptu in A flat Op.142
Schubert – Impromptu in A flat Op.90
Chopin – Nocturne in D flat major Op.27 No.2
Chopin – Scherzo Op.31 No.2
Debussy – Clair de Lune
Johann Strauss (arr Alfred Grünfeld) – Soirée de Vienne

Mozart – Eine kleine Nachtmusik
Handel – Air from The Water Music
Mozart – Piano Concerto No.14
Handel – Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Mozart arr. Bach – Prelude and Fugue
Bach – Aria from Goldberg Variations
Mozart – Divertimento No.3
Bach – Siciliano from Keyboard Concerto in E Major
Mozart – Serenata Notturna K239

ivaldi – La stravanganza No 3
Handel – ‘Air’ from Water Music
Corelli – Concerto Grosso Op 6 No 7
Purcell – Chaconne
Vivaldi – Violin Concerto ‘Tempesta di Mare’
Vivaldi – La stravaganza No 2
Corelli – Suite for Strings
Handel – Concerto Gross op 6 No 9
Bach – Air ‘on a G string’
Vivaldi – ‘Summer’ from Four Seasons

More symphonies planned from Sep - Nov
Mozart – Eine kleine Nachtmusik
Handel – Selected Arias
Bach – Air ‘on the G string’
Parry – An English Suite
Telemann – Don Quixote Suite
Purcell – Fantasia on One Note
Purcell – Dido’s Lament ‘When I am laid in earth’
Handel – Concerto Grosso Op.6 No.12

Is this the famous St. Martin-in-the-Fields.

I don't know if you're familiar with the music, but if they haven't been played already, don't miss the Schubert Impromptus. I was fortunate many years ago to hear Murray Perahis play them all.

Is this the famous St. Martin-in-the-Fields.

I don't know if you're familiar with the music, but if they haven't been played already, don't miss the Schubert Impromptus. I was fortunate many years ago to hear Murray Perahis play them all.

Yes same St. Martin's. I heard the two impromptu's last week. After listening to the Piano version of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition I was really interested in listening to a Piano concert live.

Yes same St. Martin's. I heard the two impromptu's last week. After listening to the Piano version of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition I was really interested in listening to a Piano concert live.
I heard Pictures live, played by Lazar Berman. He was an amazing pianist; he would sit at the piano impassively while doing pyrotechnics on the keyboard. I think I have the recording by him on vinyl.

One of my favourites is "Carmina Burana". I've heard it three times live, and have enjoyed it every time.

Heard this at Royal Festival Hall Purcell Room - nice acoustics - Shostakovich's Piano Trio was superb

Rachmaninov and Shostakovich
Sergey Rachmaninov: In the silence of the secret night, Op.4 No.3 arr. B.Andrianov & Rem Urasin for cello & piano
Sergey Rachmaninov: Sing not to me ..., Op.4 No.4 arr. B.Andrianov & Rem Urasin for cello & piano
Sergey Rachmaninov: How painful for me, Op.21 No.12 arr. B. Andrianov & Rem Urasin for cello & piano
Sergey Rachmaninov: How fair this spot, Op.21 No.7 arr. B. Andrianov & Rem Urasin for cello & piano
Sergey Rachmaninov: What happiness, Op.34 No.12 arr. B. Andrianov & Rem Urasin for cello & piano
Dmitry Shostakovich: Piano Trio No.2 in E minor, Op.67
Interval
Dmitry Shostakovich: 5 Preludes from Op.34 arr. Rem Urasin for cello & piano
Sergey Rachmaninov: Cello Sonata in G minor, Op.19

Was at a Rolando Villazano live concert, excellent, particularly liked the foll. arias
Manuel Penella Moreno: Si, Torero quiero sé from El gato montés
Georges Bizet: Leïla! Leïla! Dieu puissant, le voila! from The Pearl Fishers

Also watched Bach Canatas at Wigmore Hall yesterday, superb venue. I love his cantatas, very relaxing, and good audition tracks as well.

Going today for Brahms' violin concertos at a concert to be recorded by Decca at the Barbican.

Next Sunday Mahler's 9th with Daniel Harding and the LSO, followed by Berlioz and Beethoven's 5th by John Gardiner on Nov 7th. Both these at the Barbican

Watching Pictures at an Exhibition Piano tomorrow, and John Gardnier conducting Beethoven's 5th at the Barbican on Friday woohoo

I spent the weekend in Bellevue at the Wintergrass Folk Festival. The festival was located at the Hyatt Grand Bellevue; a beautiful hotel. The very cool front desk manager upgraded us to the chairman suite on the top floor (1500 sq.ft, called the presidential suite). The music was fantastic, as was the overall sound of the performers. On the Thursday and Friday, a number of the performers (Including Sarah Jarosz and Aiofe O'Donovan (EE-fah)) hosted music workshops for adults and children. The best thing that I took away from the show, because I'm a bit sentimental, and because Sarah Jarosz is my absolute favorite performer, is the photograph below.

IMG_20150228_231938.jpg
Aiofe O'Donovan, Carrie, Sarah Jarosz, Me

She is Fantastic. Aiofe as well. They'll both be collaborating with another artist named Sara Watkins, whom I've not yet had the opportunity to listen to.

Valentine's weekend I watched Simon Rattle and Brlin Philharmonis do Mahler's 2nd, and two days before that, Sibelius' 5, 6, and 7. Wasn't that familiar with Sibelius so it was great

Bonzo, I know that you're a classical kind of guy, but Sarah Jarosz, Aiofe O'Donovan and Sara Watkins are going to be in your backyard on April 28, 2015 :).

Slowgeezer, I'm quite certain that Bela Fleck payed a significant roll on Sarah Jarosz's "Follow Me Down" album. Check out and tell me if you agree. I have the album but I haven't checked the credit because that's no fun :)

Calexico is coming to the Vogue Theatre on July 12, 2015, and then Sarah Jarosz, Aiofe O'Donovan and Sara Watkins at the Vancouver Folk Festival on July 19, 2015. I am most definitely attending both shows.

Slowgeezer, I'm quite certain that Bela Fleck payed a significant roll on Sarah Jarosz's "Follow Me Down" album. ... :)

Calexico is coming to the Vogue Theatre on July 12, 2015, and then Sarah Jarosz, Aiofe O'Donovan and Sara Watkins at the Vancouver Folk Festival on July 19, 2015. I am most definitely attending both shows.

Julian, I don't know whether Bela had any influence or not, probably did, but I sure like her music.
Calexico is one of my favorite bands; I especially like their "Carried To Dust" album! A couple of weeks ago, I brought that LP to a friend's home and he played the first two cuts of the album on his megabuck (I estimate around $750K!!) system. So good, I didn't want to leave the sweet spot!

Julian, I don't know whether Bela had any influenence or not, probably did, but I sure like her music.
Calexico is one of my favorite bands; I especially like their "Carried To Dust" album! A couple of weeks ago, I brought that LP to a friend's home and he played the first two cuts of the album on his megabuck (I estimate around $750K!!) system. So good, I didn't want to leave the sweet spot!

That would be great. Calexico loud and crystal clear is not something I've experienced. A little jealous, Steve ;). I checked the song credits on Follow Me Down, and the list is pretty impressive. Sarah has some fantastic mentors.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/follow-me-down-mw0002125149

I attended the Calexico show on Sunday evening in Vancouver. Phenomenal. One of the best bands I've seen play. So much energy and great sound. The experience they have really shines. I would see them again tonight if they were playing. If they're in your area, see them play.

Next up... Vancouver Folk Festival. July 17 - 19th. So many great musicians and it's a wonderful venue; Jericho Beach on the waterfront of Vancouver. http://thefestival.bc.ca/

Last edited:
I attended Aoife O'donovan's In The Magic Hour tour stop in Vancouver at the Biltmore on March 5th. I've seen her play a few times before, at Wintergrass 2015 and The 2015 Vancouver Folk Festival, but this show was so up close and personal that it easily eclipsed the other two venues. Listening the her captivating voice, belting out those great lyrics, not 15 feet away from me is something I'll carry with me for a long time. Her band played very well, with the guitarist Anthony da Costa pulling off some very interesting sounds to round out what is certainly music fit for a five or six member band.

Latest posts

Back