Subwoofers question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akm3

Reaction score
I currently have an original dynamo (10" woofer, sealed port design). It's pretty dang good in my smaller system with Mosaic mains, and Fresco center and rears.

I'm going to add a second subwoofer. Does it make sense to get a matched Dynamo or if I get a bigger sub like a depth?

Is one big one small better than two matched smallers for integration? I'm about smoothness and musicality more than ultimate boom.

Hola. Your Dynamo 700 is a great sub...but it is designed for HT. Adding another with the same characteristics, you will have more fuller bass energy, but not as precise bass quality as the Depth provides. It depends a lot of your liking. The quality of the bass from the Depth, is awesome. You could put a dime at its edge on top of the Depth and play the deepest bass, and the coin will remain there...or a cup of wine totally filled at the top too, and you will not spill a drop. You can not do this with another sub. This means how isolated the cabinet of the sub is. The cabinet is not resonating with the woofers, and this is a very good thing. You will listen only the music without any cabinet coloration. Try to demo it at your own room, and you will make up you mind which you liked most. Trust your ears and liking. You are the one who will be using and listening there, in your own place. Happy listening!

Hola. Your Dynamo 700 is a great sub...but it is designed for HT. Adding another with the same characteristics, you will have more fuller bass energy, but not as precise bass quality as the Depth provides. It depends a lot of your liking. The quality of the bass from the Depth, is awesome. You could put a dime at its edge on top of the Depth and play the deepest bass, and the coin will remain there...or a cup of wine totally filled at the top too, and you will not spill a drop. You can not do this with another sub. This means how isolated the cabinet of the sub is. The cabinet is not resonating with the woofers, and this is a very good thing. You will listen only the music without any cabinet coloration. Try to demo it at your own room, and you will make up you mind which you liked most. Trust your ears and liking. You are the one who will be using and listening there, in your own place. Happy listening!

Thank you! I get that the Depth is in a completely different class than the Dynamo (original, I don't know if it is a '700'). I just didn't know how important it is with two subs to have them matching or if the best sub you can buy is always the right choice even if your second sub isn't up to snuff with it. Or, does it not make sense to even run two subs if one is so earth shatteringly better?

If it were me and what I know now, that is a good sub will go into ANY system down the road well, I would look at LEAST at the BF210. Really good "sounding" not boom, bass is extraordinarily rare. The PBK kit gets it there, too. "Boom" is not the same as "deep", either. Deep is simply that, playing more of the music that is WAY down there well.

And no, I would NOT use your current sub with a better quality one. Better "sound" is what you are after then go for it and retire the older sub to someone working up to even having HT bass at all. Roberto is dead right on that removing cabinet resonances are critical to good bass. You cabinet "sounds" good you say? It might but try STOPPING it on a dime! You can't. So don't get it started in the first place. Stopping the driver is easier than a cabinet. Your older sub will "sound" out when it isn't supposed to. Trust me, you WILL hear a HUGE difference in bass toneality with good sub(s). Not only will you hear the "bass" but what I call the bass "grain", for a lack of a better term, from each instrument and THAT sound is addicting as it gets, too.

If it were me and what I know now, that is a good sub will go into ANY system down the road well, I would look at LEAST at the BF210. Really good "sounding" not boom, bass is extraordinarily rare. The PBK kit gets it there, too. "Boom" is not the same as "deep", either. Deep is simply that, playing more of the music that is WAY down there well.

And no, I would NOT use your current sub with a better quality one. Better "sound" is what you are after then go for it and retire the older sub to someone working up to even having HT bass at all. Roberto is dead right on that removing cabinet resonances are critical to good bass. You cabinet "sounds" good you say? It might but try STOPPING it on a dime! You can't. So don't get it started in the first place. Stopping the driver is easier than a cabinet. Your older sub will "sound" out when it isn't supposed to. Trust me, you WILL hear a HUGE difference in bass toneality with good sub(s). Not only will you hear the "bass" but what I call the bass "grain", for a lack of a better term, from each instrument and THAT sound is addicting as it gets, too.

Thank you (and Roberto) for the advice(s). I will take them!

Back