wall behind summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
I have a 106" screen behind my summits with lined drapes covering it when I listen to music and naturally open when I watch movies. I notice when they are open that I get more center fill and better imagining with drapes closed I seem to lose some of this. have any of you experienced this. one thing when drapes open the room is more lively. thanks

Surface

Thank u Roberto the video was very helpful. I was listening the other night with the curtains closed and it really tamed things down and brought everything together like it should be. With them open the room was really lively. What do u have behind your CLXs?

Ken,

The challenge is to get the "correct" amount of "liveliness" to a room without over dampening the room, which ultimately results in a boring, sluggish, slow uninvolving sound.

The two crossover adjustments on the Summit are very beneficial to help find the correct "balance".

Lots of other ways to get there.

GG

Last edited:
I have a 106" screen behind my summits with lined drapes covering it when I listen to music and naturally open when I watch movies. I notice when they are open that I get more center fill and better imagining with drapes closed I seem to lose some of this. have any of you experienced this. one thing when drapes open the room is more lively. thanks

I have noticed the same thing with my 55" flat screen TV. I actually made an absorptive acoustic cover for it, but found the benefit (slightly deeper soundstage) was overshadowed by some loss of energy in the upper mids and highs. My TV is on an articulated arm, and I (surprisingly!) discovered that the soundstage and imaging were actually improved by bringing the TV slightly more forward, vs. pushed back against the wall. However, every room is different, so you need to take your time and experiment with all adjustable parameters... speaker placement, rake angle, furnishings (including cabinets/TV between speakers), acoustic treatments, etc. That's part of the fun (and sometime frustration) when "dialing in" ML's!

Surface

Thanks for the replies I took a look at the members systems and noticed that most of them had hard surfaces behind there speakers did not notice anyone using curtains. My room is 11'4" wide my screen takes up most of the wall I have very little space on each side of the curtain of hard surface. Kind of wish I had a retractable screen.

I think when the sound reflects of the back, you get a larger sound because of the reflection, while not having it probably brings the sound more focused and in the centre. Though when I say having something back, I mean a wall, I haven't tried with curtains.

Back