Purchasing Montis or save money with Ethos?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redux

Reaction score
I have now decided to purchase Montis or Ethos and not upgrade to new Quads. I have some questions before I can take "the big" decision.

- I have heard the Montis, and I think they need no more additional sub. This may not be the case with the Ethos. Any experiences on this?

- IS the additional cost buying the Montis worth it? Is an Ethos with sub maybe better? (Some have even claimed that the Ethos are more detailed on this forum..)

- If would like to purchase montis Dark cherry, or Ethos cherry. The dealer claim that the dark cherry is way more expensive than the normal black (17% more expensive) due to the paint job. Is this true? This is not a show stopper for me (I want them to fit in my living room with several it italian dark wood furniture) - but I am not sure if I trust the dealer..

- I have not benchmarked the Montis with my Mcintosh 7900. I can always re-sell the Mcintosh because I got a demo used one for a good price. I suspect that the Ma7900 is "overkill" for the Montis - and maybe there are better amps out there for the Montis or Ethos. The reason I got the Ma7900 is because I liked the sound, the deep soundstage and the tube like sound on my Quads ESL 63.

- The dealer wants to sell me demo-used Montis - but I have learned to never buy used ESL speakers. They may have been used with wrong amps or damaged in other ways. Any comments?

Last edited:
I have Montis, my friends have the Ethos. I think imaging and music in general is better with the Montis. If you want these for home theater then the .ethos would serve well.

I think used ESLs if they are working, and if you know what the existing owner is driving them with, should be fine. If he has been using it for a while he probably is experienced with ESLs and has been driving them with usual suspects

Montis..................dealer demo (assuming full warranty) = no problem, IMO.

If good price on use Montis and full manufacturer warranty. Montis would sound great with MA7900.

Ok, thanks! :) Considering the active subs in the Montis - maybe a bit more "refined" amplifier with less watts (maybe a class A?) would be a better match?

Back