Legacy speakers (planars)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Hi has anyone heard these? One guy said that "
The Legacy speakers are dipole speakers using a modern version of the Heil air motion transformers (AMT) and dipole cone woofers. The AMT has nearly halfway as low a mass as an ESL since the voice coil is not on the diaphragm and is lighter since it sits in a focused magnetic gap like that of a cone woofer but the coil moves perpendicular to the direction of sound (hence the transformer part). They are particularly dynamic sounding in comparison to other planars."

They brought the Whispers to this year's T.H.E. Show, Newport. Not planars per se, but dipoles with AMT tweeter and mid coupled to 4x7" cone mid-woofs + 4x15" cone woofs. Although I like the concept, they did not impress at this show and I didn't hang out very long.

As always, it's risky to form opinions in the kind of compromised conditions vendors have to deal with at shows. It might sound effing spectacular in my room with a little care and feeding.

Hi has anyone heard these? One guy said that "
The Legacy speakers are dipole speakers using a modern version of the Heil air motion transformers (AMT) and dipole cone woofers. The AMT has nearly halfway as low a mass as an ESL since the voice coil is not on the diaphragm and is lighter since it sits in a focused magnetic gap like that of a cone woofer but the coil moves perpendicular to the direction of sound (hence the transformer part). They are particularly dynamic sounding in comparison to other planars."

Those little speakers in my lounge you heard (and weren't impressed with, LOL) use AMT drivers.

Back