Anyone familiar with Cary 805AE mono blocks and 211FE/AE mono blocks?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen Cary's at Munich and Silverstone but never heard them. Really annoying.

Just go to RMAF Joey and have a good listen around. Show conditions won't be ideal but you'll learn more in a day than you do at any dealer.

Just because kit is current also doesn't mean it is any better than older stuff. General consensus at Munich was some horns from the 1920s made the best system there.

211s run hot so room ventilation is a factor during hot months. I'd wager the Cary's will sound killer with the right speakers, whatever they may be.

Good advice from all above.

I reckon Tidal make very good dynamic speakers. Try and hear some. Better than B&W to my ears by a good long stretch,

Yes they do. I would put their large speakers up against anyone else's. Outstanding speakers.

You need to be choosing your speakers before you settle on an amplifier to drive them.

Totally agree, though between the two choices presented I would go with the 211FEs with just about any speaker larger than bookshelfs.

Heads up!! I just spotted this post with regards to the tube sockets of the 211. This tube socket could also be used on the 805C as well since they are the same 845 tubes. Please check with Cary to see if this problem has been addressed or what can be done as prevention measure. Better to be safe than sorry!

Tube socket issue on Cary 211 AE

Another item to keep in mind when considering between the 805C and the 211 is the...cost of tube replacement. It's doubled for the 211 vs. 805C.

Good luck

1. Read about that fiasco, supposedly newer ones are improved. I really liked his schematics... I could picture what he was saying.

2. So, what about the 805... It can run either the 845 or the 211 output tubes right? The 211 can only use 211 tubes - am I correct?

Joey, I looked at the picture of the interior of the 211 on the link Spike provided. I'm astounded at the messy cabling and placement of components; fixing it would be a PITA. Based on that, I would not buy it!

So, what about the 805... It can run either the 845 or the 211 output tubes right? The 211 can only use 211 tubes - am I correct?
The 805 can run with either 845 or 211. In fact, according to the Cary, BOTH tubes are included with each amp. The 211, despite its name, only uses 845 tubes according to its user manual!:confused:

With regards to the "messy cabling", my SixPacs have the similar mess, but they sound wonderful they've been very reliable. The 845 and 211 are older, proven designs which have withstood the test of time (a couple of decades), and are still in the Cary product portfolio today. That speaks volume for their reliability. I would not worry too much about the aesthetics of the internal cabling for these amps. That's my own preference, and I know quite a few others who prefer a cleaner, more organized execution like Audio Research, for example. It comes down to your personal choice.

Joey, I looked at the picture of the interior of the 211 on the link Spike provided. I'm astounded at the messy cabling and placement of components; fixing it would be a PITA. Based on that, I would not buy it!

For a product that is p2p, it looks pretty decent to me.

Cary has been near bullet proof for me plus the product has great customer service. I call them and I get a person answer and usually if I call several days in a row, I get the same person each time. I've experimented with the email route and I get prompt responses without issue. No issues at all with customer service. Great company from my experience with the SLP-05 several years ago.

Within a few days of pulling the trigger on either a 211 or the Plinius Ref.. gah.. can't decide. Cary 211 is a local deal... 6 months old. Plinius Ref is a few years old, from Michigan.

Both supposedly great... would like both but can't.

Well the Cary will be more flexible as you can tube roll to get the sound to your taste, if is anywhere near your taste in the first place.

Just a thought. Will look great at night, too:)

Latest posts

Back