Complex music, and NAT Audio pre

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
This is a superb piece of complex music for auditioning - the swings and the dynamics are huuuuge. I auditioned this on the NAT Audio pre + power with Analysis Audio speakers, and the dynamics were awesome. Unfortunately, the AR Ref 3 couldn't cope as well as the NAT - on other music there wasn't much of a difference except own sound characteristics of preamps. Get this CD, highly recommended. That said am sticking to AR given the easy pricing in the used market

Attachments

• 20140719_125340.jpg
    20140719_125340.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 158
And then this is the piano version - it.is.phenomenal. This CD can change the way you evaluate a system. You guys have to hear it

Attachments

• 20140719_143952.jpg
    20140719_143952.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 157
82876-61394-2 RE1
434 346-2 respectively

But if you just search that title you should find it easily on amazon

Apparently the difference happens because amps like AR have many valves, and over time these valves run out of balance with each other, while with amps like NAT having only one big valve the complexity is easier to manage

The NAT preamps can sometimes be had at massive discount. Some chap on Audiogon couldn't give them away a while back.

Same is true of the power amps. Keep a look out if interested.

See rankings, NAT pre at 7k rated 2 behind 23k Ypsilon and ahead of 30k Dan Agostino pre.
The NAT power amp (SET monos of 60 and 120w each) rated at 1.

The NAT and the Lampi are giant killers. ML hybrids are too. Now to find if that GTA Audio planar is a giant killer.

Attachments

• foto 1.jpg
    foto 1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 113
  • foto 2.jpg
    foto 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 113
If you can live with the unit's idiosyncrasies, it looks like a sweet deal. I'm sure you're aware of the 6moons review on the pre.

If you can live with the unit's idiosyncrasies, it looks like a sweet deal. I'm sure you're aware of the 6moons review on the pre.

Just read. Nice review http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nat/symmetrical.html

Yes, it takes time to warm up, like all tubes, but it beat my AR cold
I heard the clicking of the volume too when I started, but forgot it soon later
Yes heard it runs hot, and that in summer can be a problem
It uses rare NOS valves and revalving in the US can be a problem, but it won't be for me as I will get it through the distributor. I have to check how much the life on his ex-dems is though. That kind of forces one to buy it though the distributor rather than used.

Those valves: "Slightly more annoying is the rarity of some of those twelve Russian tubes (4 x 6N6P, 2 x 6X4, 2 x 6N2P-EV, 2 x OA2, 2 x 6N1P-EV) and the fact that you can't retube this beast at any one US tube dealer - nor using two or three. I searched the online inventories of all the major hifi tube vendors in the US. Between all of them, I could not scare up a full set of tubes for the NAT Symmetrical. "

They are not even vaguely rare. They are all EASILY available on ebay. A few are Russian and there are massive stocks. The reviewer doesn't know where to look i.e. the obvious place.

Also, there were some big discounts on NAT gear at Silverstone a while back. I have some pics I'll have a look at them in a moment.

Here we go Kedar posted for you - about 50% off everything. Just freeze frame to get the prices, but you have to be snappy for the Transmitter!

If you get an error when trying to play this, go to You Tube and it will work correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, when I am ready I will try to get the Utopia below 4k, or the Symmetrical (latter is balanced). The transmitter just runs too hot, in central london it's impossible

I have not heard a great variety of orchestral music. However I agree with you after listening to Bilder Einer Ausstellung this is a great composition by Modest Mussorgsky.

From the 10 movements I enjoy listening to the second, second last and last the most.

my audio cd in addition to Pictures at an exhibition also includes Maurice Ravel's Bolero and Rapsodie espagnole.

The compositions have been brought to life by Berliner Philharmoniker and Herbert Von Karajan.

Recording company is Deutsche Grammophon.

Bonzo, thanks for recommending.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one that I recommended has 15, of which I like 2, 7, last but one and the last.

Ah ok, Actually I have never read which is which. Just keep pressing buttons on the remote

It also exposes most of audiophile gear. Separates the best from the good. Also get the piano version

It also exposes most of audiophile gear. Separates the best from the good. Also get the piano version

Next time I visit the audio dealer to audition audio equipment, I may, if I remember, keep and play this audio CD.
and I am not 100 percent certain about the tracks and movement business. Only my inference from reading info given at the back cover of the audio cd.

Back