Turntables,, how good to go?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrong , Robert is correct …………. first and foremost the synergy (compliance) between TT/tonearm and cartridge is of the first order. The phono preamp, while very important, follows. This is the basic principal of analog playback that has been in place forever !

I must have missed reading the "Basic principal of analog playback" handbook. Thanks for being so blunt, really, especially on such a subjective topic.Your experience and personal assessment is different than mine. I do agree, everything matters, to what degree depends on your budget and personal audible assessment. I'll make sure to never post my opinion again and buy a copy of that elusive handbook....

Last edited:
As far as your analog source, I agree, do not neglect the importance of a good phono pre

true statement ………..

but even more important is the cartridge and the synergy between the cart + phono pre.

sb6, this is what I was referring to with regards to your 'wrong statement'…………again, while important without question, the essence of a solid analog system starts with cartridge and tonearm compliance (synergy). Would you build a house without a solid foundation ? …….. the analogy applies here as well.

I must have missed reading the "Basic principal of analog playback" handbook.

perhaps …….

Your experience and personal assessment is different than mine.

again, perhaps, but I've been at the analog game a long time

I do agree, everything matters

see………. we agree on something !

I'll make sure to never post my opinion again ....

I never said that, but when a opinion flies in the face of facts I'll take exception every time.

Hmm. I can support both sides of this argument from personal experience. In the case of phono pre and cartridge match, I have been unable to completely eliminate a hum from one of my cartridges when using my phono pre. The cartridge works just fine, no hum, with other phono preamps. I have mostly eliminated the hum by soldering the two bottom wires together in one of my headshells, thank goodness, so that this cartridge is now very listenable. In the case of the turntable and arm and cartridge/arm compliance, I have listened to two cartridges via two different arm/table configurations and for one of them, it is difficult to believe it is the same cartridge, as it sounds so much better in one setup. Of course, the other cartridge also sounds much better in the same table/arm, but the difference in the other cartridge sound is rather remarkable. Sadly, I somehow bent the cantilever in that cartridge. Luckily, my best cartridge is still operating nicely.

Steve, an 'old fart' like you I would expect to know the 'known' compliance equations for cartridge / tonearm mating. Regardless, I will acknowledge that todays tonearm / cartridge offerings are much more compliant across the board than 'back in the day', but even so, Robert's (Risabet) assertion is 100% correct, when one builds an analog front end, a fundamental foundation is paramount.

Steve, an 'old fart' like you I would expect to know the 'known' compliance equations for cartridge / tonearm mating. Regardless, I will acknowledge that todays tonearm / cartridge offerings are much more compliant across the board than 'back in the day', but even so, Robert's (Risabet) assertion is 100% correct, when one builds an analog front end, a fundamental foundation is paramount.

Oh yeah, I understand the cartridge / tonearm mating equations and have known about them for many years. As a registered old fart, I've probably forgotten more audio golden rules than I remember! My specific example with the hum issue was probably due to some type of grounding issue with my phono pre. Funny thing is, it only occurs with that phono cartridge and that same phono cartridge doesn't exhibit any hum with other phono preamps. It has nothing to do with the tonearm or turntable and also hummed when using my old Scout. I had solved the issue with the hum with the Scout by using a specific cable. With the new table, I couldn't do that. Luckily, the hum has been mostly eliminated and is very low now.

Twich,

I am fully aware of tonearm and TT synergy and am old enough to have had my share of TTs as far back as the 70s. Also, I agree that compliance and synergy are less of an issue with newer setups, in fact I can't even recall the last read on the issue. To use your analogy - The risk of a non-solid foundation is almost non existent post 2000. You may want to get the revised version of "Basic principals of analog playback" since it sounds like yours likely as dated showcased a Linn LP12 as "state of the art"...

My last post on this topic, have fun picking out snippets and critiquing to get the last word, my friend.... And as always Happy Listening! :rocker:

Latest posts

Back