Turntables,, how good to go?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jemplayer

Reaction score
Here is the issue, I have a pair of summits being driven (very well) by a Consonance Calaf mkII integrated amp. My concern is at what point is the amp going to be the weak link. How good of a source will I really get the benefit from. And I speak of vinyl btw,

Anyone out there have experience with this integrated. I think it sounds great and I chose it over Many others, I just wonder if it deserves a Michel gyrodek, or a Rega RP 2/3 or the like (i.e. pro-ject debut carbon, music hall etc level. Same story with phone stage.

Any opinions guys?

I don't see the relevancy in your question……………quite simply, if your 'amplification' is giving you what you want then so be it. Now selecting a TT, cart and phono stage to work in harmony with each other and your budget, that's another matter.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the low end Rega's.

The sound of your system will be determined by the quality of the signal that goes in. Information that is lost can never be retrieved again. Of the TTs you listed, the Michell is the lowest level I'd go to with Summits at the end. The low end Rega's are not good enough IMO with the system you have. Keep in mind, the phono stage is a big part of the sound also.

I don't see the relevancy in your question……………quite simply, if your 'amplification' is giving you what you want then so be it. Now selecting a TT, cart and phono stage to work in harmony with each other and your budget, that's another matter.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the low end Rega's.

Twitch, I get your point, and was wondering the point as I typed. But!!! I have gotten some feedback, i.e Michel eng, is the bottom, I feel the same, sys is very good, I just wonder some times, and we all know whats thats like. I take risabet point too, cannot regain what was never there, source is the.....well the source and quality begins there. I got rid of the PS audio phono I used which my linn, any recommendation on Phono stages that are "good value" I think I will go the Gyrodek route with rb300 re worked arm and ortofon blue cart for now. Thanks guys,

define 'good value' with your budget amount……….. FWIW and IMO two of my favorite 'good value' phono pre's are Parasound and Fosgate, I own the latter and couldn't be happier.

If your budget allows for more……Audio Research is amongst the best.

define 'good value' with your budget amount……….. FWIW and IMO two of my favorite 'good value' phono pre's are Parasound and Fosgate, I own the latter and couldn't be happier.

"Good value" a piece of gear that performs past it's price point? Good suggestions above. Have you had any experience with the ps audio Phono. I sold it, but wonder where that fits into the bigger picture,

Dave,

You know I agree with that, of course. And as others have noted, the phono stage is not to be neglected.

For an entry level turntable, a Rega p3 with a fitted Denon DL-103 or a Project RPM 5.1 with an Ortofon cart. Both turntables are very good - expecially matched to a Dynavector P75 phono stage.

MS made a great table, I'm not directly:D familiar with the DD24 but the Linn is a lightweight sounding table with good pacing and PRaT. I predict that the MS would have a bigger, ballsier sound simply due to its drive type.

Not to thread jack..I just came into a (free) Denon turntable. My father bought it years ago (I think before I was born..I'm 30) and it basically looks brand new.

10445973_10101921307361816_995858245742759146_n.jpg

Anyone know anything about these?

Jemplayer, I think your question is 100% valid and appropriate. In almost any system, some component is the weakest link. The fact that you recognize this means you are searching for a balanced system with good synergy. And even though I agree with the "garbage in garbage out" comment above, every amp and indeed every component will do something to the signal - sometimes more deleterious, sometimes less, sometimes more flavored, sometimes closer to neutral. All things being equal, better amps will provide you the fine detail, black background, dynamic punch etc that less expensive amps won't.

As far as your analog source, I agree, do not neglect the importance of a good phono pre, but even more important is the cartridge and the synergy between the cart + phono pre. I would worry less about the table and more about these 2 components. BTW - I had an Opera Consonance Cyber 222 MkII preamp which I thought was awesome, especially at its price/performance ratio. Good stuff for the $, Opera is... enjoy!

All things being equal, better amps will provide you the fine detail, black background, dynamic punch etc that less expensive amps won't.

Not if said detail isn't actually gotten off of the LP, you'd just be beautifully amplifying a second rate signal.

As far as your analog source, I agree, do not neglect the importance of a good phono pre, but even more important is the cartridge and the synergy between the cart + phono pre. I would worry less about the table and more about these 2 components. BTW - I had an Opera Consonance Cyber 222 MkII preamp which I thought was awesome, especially at its price/performance ratio. Good stuff for the $, Opera is... enjoy!

Can't agree with this either. The cartridge is at the mercy of the TT and the arm. Take two of the same mid-range cartridges and put one on a Pro-Ject Signature 12 and the other on a Project RPM-6 and, ceteris paribus, the cartridge/Signature combo will smoke the RPM-6/cartridge combo. Most decent phono pre-amps allow one to adjust the electrical parameters that are the foundation of the interface between the two devices, not accounting for sonic preferences.

Not if said detail isn't actually gotten off of the LP, you'd just be beautifully amplifying a second rate signal.

Can't agree with this either. The cartridge is at the mercy of the TT and the arm. Take two of the same mid-range cartridges and put one on a Pro-Ject Signature 12 and the other on a Project RPM-6 and, ceteris paribus, the cartridge/Signature combo will smoke the RPM-6/cartridge combo. Most decent phono pre-amps allow one to adjust the electrical parameters that are the foundation of the interface between the two devices, not accounting for sonic preferences.

A) That's why I said ceteris paribus......
B) I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I could argue the same - take a mid-range TT and mate it with 1 cart, then another, same brand but a model an order of magnitude more expensive and, well you get the idea...

:p It all matters. :rocker:

Yep sir it does! The table has a big say in the sound, while not as much as the cart and arm and wire.

I'd suggest a nice vintage Thorens with original or upgrade SME arm, buy the best cart you can afford that fits the arm and don't look back!

Don't be afraid of vintage phono sections like the APT Holman preamps that might need a recap, money well spent..

B) I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I could argue the same - take a mid-range TT and mate it with 1 cart, then another, same brand but a model an order of magnitude more expensive and, well you get the idea...

Wrong , Robert is correct …………. first and foremost the synergy (compliance) between TT/tonearm and cartridge is of the first order. The phono preamp, while very important, follows. This is the basic principal of analog playback that has been in place forever !

Latest posts

Back