Step 2: Room - help me with acoustic treatments

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
So, we are about 10 days from closing and the room is coming along. It is not the best since I could not price the house out of the neighborhood. If I had my way, I would've increased the size by 4'x2' to 21x17, but alas, I had to tap on the brakes a little during the design. Also, if I could turn back time, I would reverse the orientation of the room so that the speakers would be on the far end rather (left of the picture) rather than near the double door/entry (right of the picture).

I did accomplish a few things - I was able to get an asymmetric ceiling design installed. I was also able to get a very symmetric room without any odd openings or hallways.

Also, I was able to finally get a dedicated 20 amp outlet for the electronics, located to the front (right) of the room.

Essentially it is a rectangular room at 17x15x9. I was planning on a single chair to the left and speakers to the right.

I need to get some acoustic treatments, any ideas or recommendations? Real Traps seem awfully expensive when there are cheaper options.

I guess anything is an upgrade from my cinder block dorm room, eh?

Last edited:
Here is a small schematic of what I drew up. As you can see, I think the speakers will fit. I drew out the B&W 800 Diamonds out and I tried to make it to scale. I think I'm probably going to end up pushing the chair a little further back to get more distance, and I think I may end up pulling the the speakers closer the wall as well to maximize distance between tweeters and my ears. You can see I tried to draw the 800 Diamonds, including the marlan heads. Bwahaha... :ROFL:.

Also, I included the chair I was going to place in there. It's called the "Flight Recliner". I wanted the Eames chair but it is too short.

Although not perfect, it's a heck of a lot better than where I came from.

College:

Med school:

Always nice to take a trip down memory lane. I have some very good memories of my audio system(s). I've gone through quite a bit of gear that I already forgot some of the gear I've listened to.

Honestly, I don't even know how I paid for all that gear back then... how did I afford the Summits, the Plinius, the Cary 05 and all the other gear?? I still don't really recall how I did it, but there was a lot of ramen eating for sure.

Basically, it has taken me many years to get to this point.... hopefully it'll be worth it. Looking forward to the suggestions. :cool:

Last edited:
You can get "free" advice, including type / number of panels and pricing, from many of the acoustical manufacturers.

Send them the layout you posted here. It's that easy.

I would definitely include ACS in your search. IMHO, very high quality product for a very good price.

Good luck.

You can get "free" advice, including type / number of panels and pricing, from many of the acoustical manufacturers.

Send them the layout you posted here. It's that easy.

I would definitely include ACS in your search. IMHO, very high quality product for a very good price.

Good luck.

Will look into ACS... re my post, I was looking for suggestions of which brand of acoustics to go with.

I was looking at Real Traps and each unit is like $300... GIK on the other hand is like $100 or so. I also pulled up a brand ATS acoustics and very reasonable prices at about $60 per 4"x24x48 panel.

Still looking around - but every acoustic manufacturer had varied pricing structures.

Plus, I noticed that there isn't a set method to setting up accostic panels. Some say that reflection points should be diffusors (front, rear, sides) and others say use absorbers.

Last edited:
Will the floors be carpeted?

I would not go overboard with room treatments until you decide on speakers, and actually hear them in the room with your amp(s), etc. Dipoles (like ML) have different acoustic needs vs. dynamic speakers (like Wilsons), which might need more absorption at the first reflection points. Depending upon your speakers interaction with the room and other furnishings, you might even decide you want more diffusion, vs. absorption. I know some audiophiles who invested heavily in absorption panels, only to discover their listening room ended up too dead.

I'd also suggest investing a few $$ in some speaker/room acoustics measurement tools, such as XTZ Room Analyzer, Omnimic, or REW, etc. Use objective measurements PLUS listening tests to determine what works best acoustically. It would be ideal if you could find a local dealer (or audiophile friend) willing to lend you some absorption panels and/or diffusors to "try before you buy."

BTW, some audiophile purists would argue that a leather chair with a tall back is not ideal for listening, as you'll probably get sound reflections bouncing right back to your ears. A lower back chair might be better, though less comfortable if you plan to snooze! Alternatively, an upholstered chair might offer some acoustic benefits.

Last edited:
Joey, I concur with Alan's suggestions as well ……...

Will the floors be carpeted?

I would not go overboard with room treatments until you decide on speakers, and actually hear them in the room with your amp(s), etc. Dipoles (like ML) have different acoustic needs vs. dynamic speakers (like Wilsons), which might need more absorption at the first reflection points. Depending upon your speakers interaction with the room and other furnishings, you might even decide you want more diffusion, vs. absorption. I know some audiophiles who invested heavily in absorption panels, only to discover their listening room ended up too dead.

I'd also suggest investing a few $$ in some speaker/room acoustics measurement tools, such as XTZ Room Analyzer, Omnimic, or REW, etc. Use objective measurements PLUS listening tests to determine what works best acoustically. It would be ideal if you could find a local dealer (or audiophile friend) willing to lend you some absorption panels and/or diffusors to "try before you buy."

BTW, some audiophile purists would argue that a leather chair with a tall back is not ideal for listening, as you'll probably get sound reflections bouncing right back to your ears. A lower back chair might be better, though less comfortable if you plan to snooze! Alternatively, an upholstered chair might offer some acoustic benefits.

1. Floors carpeted.
2. You're right, I'll probably go light on the panels first and tweak as I figure out which speaker goes in there. Dipoles have less side reflection and stronger rear reflections.
3. Leather chair's back is below ear level, I checked. It's perfect height for something like the BW800 where my ears have to be at the midrange region.

http://www.dwr.com/product/flight-recliner-leather.do?sortby=ourPicks

I would agree with Alan also.

My thoughts are pick your speakers first then tailor the sound with your choice of electronics. As Alan said the type of speaker will partially determine your approach to acoustical treatment.

With very little in the room but carpet and your listening chair i would suggest way more bass traps. It will be easy to overload the room with not much to absorb low end.

As far as speaker placement is concerned, for years I was of the school of "as far away from the speakers as reasonably possible". A few months ago after repairs to the interfaces I needed to place my CLSs back in the room. I decided to try Jim Smiths approach to placement and work from there. I had never liked sitting to close to speakers as it moved the sound stage to far forward and didn't allow for much depth in the musical staging. I picked 5' from the front wall to the front of the speakers (previously 3'-6") and about 8' center to center on the panels (previously about 8' inside to inside of speakers). Based on that width I used Jim's suggestion that I think is around 1.4-1.6 x the width for your distance to the speakers. Much to my surprise with more room behind the speakers the image and stage didn't move forward but moved even with and behind the speakers creating a much deeper, wider sound stage and better instrument placement then ever before.

In Jim's section of speaker placement he mentions his chair is 2+' from the wall behind him to get more room behind the speakers. He recommended closer to the back wall if necessary and use absorption for the low end.

When you pick you acoustical panels be sure to compare panel construction and material used. The cost of Rockwool as apposed to fiberglass and probably the biggest difference is $2 a yard burlap type material as opposed to Guilford of Maine that can be $18-25 a yard.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you are looking at spending around $2500 + or - on a chair. Though very comfortable a good acoustical treatment plan will make the room much more enjoyable.

Keep the pics coming. I should be a great room when you are finished.

Sorry. I meant ATS.

That's what I use and their absorption specs are comparable to anyone out there.

Start with bass traps in each corner behind the speakers and two panels at the "reflection" point between your listening chair and the speaker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back