Potential Klipsch convert? Used $800 Martin Logan Ascent's: good choice/deal?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etc6849

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a somewhat local deal lined up to purchase a pair of Ascent's for $800 from their "original" owners (who bought display models from Tweeter). Is this a good deal? Are there any issues I should look for before buying/picking up?

These will be my first ML speakers. I currently have a theater setup with Klipsch La Scala II's and dual subs and love the dynamic bass horn loaded bass bins provide. However, the Ascents would go in a separate room, replacing some Klipsch RF-83's that are really great speakers too.

I like the RF-83's a lot and they provide great bass in a greatroom/dining/kitchen open floor plan. I'm mainly looking for something different to listen to, and may sale the ML or Klispch RF-83's later, depending on which I like the most. I like several genres including rock, folk, blues and jazz.

Thanks in advance!

depending on age, ie. panel condition, your musical listening will greatly improve. With that being said, the Ascents will place a far greater demand on amplification than your Klipsch's to sound their best.

What is old for a panel? These are about 10 years old according to the owner. I'd be driving them with an Oppo 105d used as a preamp, into an old Kenwood integrated amp: KMF-X9000.

The amp is pretty good for what I paid off craigslist. It has separate transformers for each channel and is rated as follows: STEREO MODE, 130 watts per channel minimum RMS, both channels driven at 6 Ω, from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz with no more than 0.02 % total harmonic distortion (FTC). Note the rating is full bandwidth and not at 1khz like most.

I'm thinking about an ATI AT3002 amp (if needed). I already have an ATI AT2007 amp in my theater and it's a very well US made amp.

old is a relative to how it was maintained. I assume you've listened to them and all is well, so for $800, give it a shot !

In so far as amplification and your old Kenwood, will the seller allow you to try it first ?

As you've probably worked out, the Ascents aren't going to compete wit the La Scala's for life like dynamics. And I would have to say, i think they Rf83's will have the edge over the Ascents too if you're driving them with a receiver - even a good one like the Kenwood. What the Ascents WILL give you, is far greater resolution and a neutral tonality that the RF-83's can't match. The Ascents will respond far quicker to the micro and macro dynamics found in all good music, but they won't go as loud as the RF-83 - not driven by a receiver anyway. There are many more reasons why I now prefer panels over horn loaded speakers, but this will take you time to work out yourself.

So I say give the Ascents a chance, and let your eaars adjust to the new sound. As a long time Klipsch Belle owner, the only major reservation I have over trying Martin Logan electorstatics, is that you may even start questioning the need to retain your La Scalas!

Will $800 allow me to resale if I don't like them (not saying I won't like them...)?

As a long time Klipsch Belle owner, the only major reservation I have over trying Martin Logan electorstatics, is that you may even start questioning the need to retain your La Scalas!
Really? I hope so. :D The La Scala II's were expensive even on the used market. That's not including the space two pairs of the suckers take up in my theater! They are very dynamic though and make awesome theater speakers.

In so far as amplification and your old Kenwood, will the seller allow you to try it first ?
The seller has the speakers hooked up, but I have to drive 120 miles to pick them up! Basically if I drive there and they are fully functional, I plan on buying them. The Kenwood amp is this one: http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B60-5097-08.pdf

I bought it and an analog preamp off craigslist for ~$140 as I wanted something for my living room. Honestly, it's not a deal killer if I need to use the Kenwood in the bedroom and buy a bigger amp like another ATI to experiment with.

That Kenwood looks fine. I would buy it for the meantme and then later, maybe offload it for someting else. You only need something to get you started. :)

Thanks! Turns out I had to back out of the deal. I called ML and they stated replacement panels were $1639 + shipping, that the panels on the pair I was looking at were made in 2001, and that typical panel life-span is 15 years or less!?!

Seems funny that ML has a video on the "myths" about electrostatic speakers saying they last as long as cone speakers (BS), but then openly admits they have a limited life span when you call them! It's easy to get 30+ years out of a pair of coned speakers (assuming you replace the capacitors at some point which is very cheap to do)...

I did really want to listen to own a pair of true electrostatic MLs and it would have been neat to try them out, but the parts pricing is a complete joke. I might have been interested in buying a new pair, but they've priced them out of the market given the 15 year life span. For the price of a new pair, I could buy something like the Klipsch Jubilee and I know I'd be very happy with those for decades to come.

That Kenwood looks fine. I would buy it for the meantme and then later, maybe offload it for someting else. You only need something to get you started. :)

The current panels have life spans to compare with good quality cone speakers.

Take care going down that Jubilee path - they can work well (so I've heard) but it takes an incredible amount of $$$ and tweaking with custom crosssovers and such like. Personally, I would go for a pair of Klipschorns if you wanted to upgrade your LaScalas.

Otherwise, consider something like a brand new pair of Electromotions if you want to try electrostatics. I would be very surprised if you didn't find your self blown away with the sound :)

Last edited:
Good advice. It's good to know ML has improved things. I don't doubt this, but even if the life span has improved, the price for replacement parts seems crazy at best and has completely turned me off from ever supporting the company.

I don't need the extra octave a khorn has as I use large dual subs in my theater. However, the MLs were supposed to go in a common area/great room and I don't doubt a pair of Khorns would sound great there too.

A Jubscala is an one option I'm considering. I would use a pair of La Scala II bass bins I currently have so it'd be much cheaper than an entire Jubilee setup. I think the K-402 horns can be bought for $2k, and I'd also pick up a used active crossover to play with.

The current panels have life spans to compare with good quality cone speakers.

Take care going down that Jubilee path - they can work well (so I've heard) but it takes an incredible amount of $$$ and tweaking with custom crosssovers and such like. Personally, I would go for a pair of Klipschorns if you wanted to upgrade your LaScalas.

Other wise, consider something like a brand new pait of Electromotions if you want to try electrostatics. I would be very surprised if you didn't find your self blown away with the sound :)

Latest posts

Back