Step 1: Get the preamp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
So, trying to get back into the swing of all things audio. House is about 2 weeks away from completion. Because of budget constraints, I had to decide on what to cut back on and I ended up cutting back on size of the room just because we hit the budget we set for ourselves and I did not want to set a precedent of breaking the rules I had set for myself. 15x17... decent dedicated media room size, but in hindsight I should've just busted open the wallet for an extra 2 feet in each direction (oh well). :(

Anyway....

Step 1: Get the preamp. Check. :p

Bought (or should I say, re-purchased) the Cary SLP-05. Such a wonderful piece from my recollection. Received the package last week and played it on my brother's system (Musical Fidelity, B&W 804 Diamonds v2).... sounded just like what I recalled it to sound.

Next up, amplification and source.

Then, room treatments (no more cinder block dorm room).

Then, speakers.

You guys have thoughts on amplication and source? I was thinking getting a Plinius SA103 or maybe a pair of the Cary 211 monoblocks. I think it should be enough to drive something ML or perhaps either the BW 800 or 802 Diamonds v2.

I had a bad experience at the Wilson dealer... and I'd rather not go Wilson this time.

Plinius is a great amp. Can't go wrong. I auditioned a sa100 I think, they seem to be very under rated power wise. Seems they deliver far more than their spec.

As for speakers, well, since your on a ml forum, take a guess?!?

and the captain reads ………….."oh my God, here 'the kid' goes again" , says a wincing Burke ! …….. as 'Sleepy' stairs into space …….

Attachments

• IMG_7709.jpg
    IMG_7709.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 90
Buy my Duettas Joey. Seriously. They are totally bitchin'. I've got bomb proof crates and with 211 Cary's (powerful ones) you'll be amazed.

Too much of a leap of faith? If you have got the guts to take a risk, you'll realise that sometimes gambling isn't for idiots.

Does anyone else get this ref above?

trust me young man…………quite a few …………besides those in the picture, all of which attended the M/L 'gathering' in Lawrence, Ks. 7 years ago !

That's Joey aka 'the kid' , in middle, wearing the green tee shirt

What a "blast from the past!" (BTW, I've lost 30# since those days).<g>

Joey, what's your speaker budget? If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the Montis, paired with one (or two) BalancedForce subs. That gives you the same panel as the Summits, but more placement options to optimize the bass/room response.</g>

Last edited:
and the captain reads ………….."oh my God, here 'the kid' goes again" , says a wincing Burke ! …….. as 'Sleepy' stairs into space …….

Bwahahaha... Pops that was a great time. The first pilgrimage to the hallowed ground.

I'm sure I have pics I can add to this thread when I find it later on.

Still can't believe Alan is staring so far out to space.... was this when I won the black diamond racing feet? I wonder if I still have that set...

What a "blast from the past!" (BTW, I've lost 30# since those days).<g>

Joey, what's your speaker budget? If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the Montis, paired with one (or two) BalancedForce subs. That gives you the same panel as the Summits, but more placement options to optimize the bass/room response.</g>

Well we need new pics of you then Alan!

Montis I heard has possibly a better xo than Summit X - right?

Regarding the price - I think what's going to happen is a 2 pronged approach. One will be a system downstairs in the living room and another will be in the 2 channel dedicated room. Speaker budget? Probably between 10-24K. Still depends on the timing. I was trying to work my way up from the preamp to the amp and source and then get the speakers.

Depending on the speakers, for the 2 channel room, I was hoping to get a couple of subs just to help with placement and keeping the output well below the capacity of both subs. Still unsure of the subs, could be as simple as getting a Velodyne DD+ or a JLA Fathom. I've heard these REL Gibraltars are good as well, my brother is taking delivery of the REL Gibraltar G2 in a few months.

Last edited:
Buy my Duettas Joey. Seriously. They are totally bitchin'. I've got bomb proof crates and with 211 Cary's (powerful ones) you'll be amazed.

Too much of a leap of faith? If you have got the guts to take a risk, you'll realise that sometimes gambling isn't for idiots.

Duettes or Duettas? Shipping would be a bear from England wouldn't you say?

Does anyone else get this ref above?

Much to learn sir... :)

Well we need new pics of you then Alan!

Montis I heard has possibly a better xo than Summit X - right?...

Yes, the reviews say the DSP crossover in the Montis integrates the woofer and panels better. Haven't gotten a chance to audition them though. In my family/listening room, it's been a challenge to optimally dial in my legacy Summits with one (or two) subs. Including the BalancedForce 210 sub and old NHT Sub Two, totaled EIGHT 10" woofers, with all sorts of phase, timing, and modal issues. That's why I'm thinking about simplifying with the Montis plus the ML sub (using the NHT only for home theater).

For kicks, here's a recent pic of me with "A.J." (of Soundfield Audio) during our SAS Holiday Party last year!

AlanAJ.jpg

Perhaps you'll make it down to the Tampa Bay area sometime for a meeting or vacation, and attend one of our meetings, or listening session at my place!

Yes, the reviews say the DSP crossover in the Montis integrates the woofer and panels better. Haven't gotten a chance to audition them though. In my family/listening room, it's been a challenge to optimally dial in my legacy Summits with one (or two) subs. Including the BalancedForce 210 sub and old NHT Sub Two, totaled EIGHT 10" woofers, with all sorts of phase, timing, and modal issues. That's why I'm thinking about simplifying with the Montis plus the ML sub (using the NHT only for home theater).

For kicks, here's a recent pic of me with "A.J." (of Soundfield Audio) during our SAS Holiday Party last year!

View attachment 17122

Perhaps you'll make it down to the Tampa Bay area sometime for a meeting or vacation, and attend one of our meetings, or listening session at my place!

Looking good alan! You're right, you're looking much slimmer than before!

I can see your point about simplifying to Montis + an ML woofer. I have not heard the Montis right next to the Summit X. The local Magnolia has the Montis set up on its own and they did sound good but it was essentially set up unlike the anything that would be possible at home, approximately the middle of the with the rear wall about 50 feet behind it. Impossible to do.

That said, it did sound very nice on a McIntosh tube integrated.

I am really thinking of going ML with my downstairs system and then BW in the upstairs system.

Duettes or Duettas? Shipping would be a bear from England wouldn't you say?

I've got no idea of import duty either. But I do know it costs around £1000 to ship Duettas from Australia to the UK. Not bad really. You'd still get the "fourth best speaker" at RMAF a few years ago, as voted by some dudes somewhere when Rich Murray turned up with some.

In other words, still astonishing value for money.

Just a thought but realistically I bet you won't have the gumption:)

Try and hear a pair sometime driven by powerful tube amps. Not easy I know. Go here and read the 1988 Hi-Fi News review. My pair are built to a higher spec the Martin Colloms had.

People waste megabucks more on speakers that are nowhere near as good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back