Audio effect of moving rack from between speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwayslearning

Reaction score
I'm considering moving my low-boy rack from between my speakers. The two side by side racks combined are 47" wide and 28"deep including wire room.
Disconnecting & reconnecting components, & re-leveling all is a considerable job. Will it be worth it? I know that every acoustical situation is unique, but I hope to learn from the experience of others.

Did you move your rack(s) from between your speakers? Specifically how did the move impact the imaging/sound? Are there folks who moved their rack from between speakers, but experienced little or no enhancements?

Musically.

Every time it listen to my system, I wonder how much the tv etc between them effects the sound. I did custom build a low tv unit that houses the gear, but still. :confused:

Jemplayer, it would be ideal to experiment and move items from between the speakers. But, my oh my, it's a lot of work to move, reconnect, level et al.
Curious- does your moniker mean that you play the djembe drum?

Yes and no. It may make a big difference but it may not. The fact that it is a low rack means that its effect is going to be smaller than a tall rack. I've had both setups and a bigger effect was gained by losing the coffee table, no longer an option due to WAF.

IMHO, it will impact the mid and lower bass, which has a huge impact on all frequencies above that.

Ha ha alwayslearn, no. Actually, I'm a guitar player, and one of my favorite guitars I like to play are my Ibanez Jem's, hence jemplayer..

If you look under member sys thread, I think it's summits sys 479, you can see the low unit and led tv I feel may be interfering. It is a lot of work, and what other positioning choice is there in the end.

Every time it listen to my system, I wonder how much the tv etc between them effects the sound. I did custom build a low tv unit that houses the gear, but still. :confused:

I tried putting various blankets over the set goose down was too dead. a flannel sheet did nothing and a thin polyester comforter did something.....YMMV

What's the height and what is the distance from the front of the rack to the back of the speakers?

Gordon, the rack is 32" tall x 47" wide x 29" deep including the cords behind it. The front of the rack is 11" from the back of the speakers. Thanks for your help with this..

32 inches seems pretty tall to me. My gear tops out at about 15 inches and at that height, it really opens up the sound stage. Can you post a picture?

Here ya go. THe rack & the system within myroom. I plan on moving my SF Guarneri Hommage's to a different sytem, replacing them with ML's. Hopefully the attachments work...
2014-07-22 18.15.03.jpg2014-07-22 18.16.19.jpg

Can you move the rack so it's under the window (and get long speaker cables)? It will also be closer to your listening position.

Bottom line is: if you can't move the rack, leave it where it is, forget all the audiophile details, and just enjoy the music.

I have experimented with both. If the rack is low and below ear level and if there isnt a large flat surface to act like a soundboard (flat panel tv) then you'll probably be ok.

I designed my 2ch listening room and I intend to place the equipment between the speakers because that's where I placed the dedicated 20 amp outlet. However, I should've also made another dedicated 20 amp outlet along the side walls just as a second option or atleast of the preamps and source... Then the amps could've been between the speakers.

Next time.

Back