Looking for advice on a home movie theater setup using ML speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakerfansd

Reaction score
I'm setting one of my rooms for movie watching. It's about 14' x 28'. I purchased a pair of ML motion 40's for the front towers and will purchase a center speaker soon (ML 30 most likely) and I also purchased a sub. I was still unsure about the surrounds. I'm planning on having a row of seats about 12 feet back from either a LCD tv or projector, another row about 16 feet back. I may have bar seating behind that but I don't think that will be a part of the movie watching. So, My options are to buy one pair of ML fx surrounds for 5.1 setup, one pair of motion 15's, either of which would be placed behind the second seating row....or for about the same price 2 pairs of motion 4, or two pairs of lx 16 which are available for same price as the 4's. That way one pair can be placed near first row and another second row. Wanted to get some opinions as to getting the 7.1 system using the 4's/lx16's or is it better to use fx for movie experience even though I wouldn't buy more than 2 for now. Thanks and I'm excited to be an owner of ML speakers.

I realized this should be in the placement forum; can mods help and move this post there?

Last edited:
U might not want to hear this but if you can afford two systems I would go with dynamic speakers for home theater an M/L for music. I have an expensive m/l system that I use for home theater and music, I have a friend that uses an expensive dynamic system and when watching movies at his place it's just like going to the movie theater! mine is more musical

I have a friend that uses an expensive dynamic system and when watching movies at his place it's just like going to the movie theater! mine is more musical

By that do you mean it sounds bad or loud :) Seriously, I disagree, ML can make a great HT if one wants to go that way. I don't but others do, I guess, for some reason.

By that do you mean it sounds bad or loud :) Seriously, I disagree, ML can make a great HT if one wants to go that way. I don't but others do, I guess, for some reason.

In a movie that requires a lot of action dynamic speakers can give u better sound! Ml are good but they just cannot give u that punch and excitement that a good dynamic system can. Maybe it's me but I'm sure some of u agree. I was watching a movie the other day and there was a scene that a missile hit a plane an first thought that I blew my speakers out. Dynamic speakers would have blown me out of the room. Ml can give you more detail but just not that punch that action movies have.

... Ml are good but they just cannot give u that punch and excitement that a good dynamic system can. ...

Out of the box, just plopped in a living room, sure, that's the case. But if carefully set up and tuned in a treated room, Electrostats absolutely can keep up with dynamic speakers. See my system for what it takes, not for the faint of heart (or wallet).

The challenge is in the mid-bass, and as my center channel proved to me, if one gets that right, boy can they rock-out and handle massive movie dynamics, while loosing none of the subtleness and resolution ESL's are recognized for.

To the OP, definitely go for the biggest and best center you can buy and fit in your setup, it's critical to good soundtrack reproduction. If you can swing a 50XT, then go for that.

For rears and sides, I'd suggest the LX16 is a great buy right now. That way you can get a 7.1 config for a reasonable price, giving good coverage in your longish room.

If your ceiling is 9 or 10' high in the HT, I'd suggest going ahead and getting at least 2 more LX16's or even 4 of them to use as the ceiling channels in the inevitable Atmos setup many of us will wind up with over the next few years. 3D audio is amazing once you experience it, so having matching speakers is best.
If the ceiling is lower, then plan on some in-ceiling speakers like the ElectroMotion IC.

To the OP, definitely go for the biggest and best center you can buy and fit in your setup, it's critical to good soundtrack reproduction. If you can swing a 50XT, then go for that.

For rears and sides, I'd suggest the LX16 is a great buy right now. That way you can get a 7.1 config for a reasonable price, giving good coverage in your longish room.

If your ceiling is 9 or 10' high in the HT, I'd suggest going ahead and getting at least 2 more LX16's or even 4 of them to use as the ceiling channels in the inevitable Atmos setup many of us will wind up with over the next few years. 3D audio is amazing once you experience it, so having matching speakers is best.
If the ceiling is lower, then plan on some in-ceiling speakers like the ElectroMotion IC.

Appreciate all the input. I demoed the speakers in a small room so maybe in my home the experience will be different but I was really impressed with what I heard. They were running the motion 40's, a 30 center and I don't know the two surrounds. They were playing one of the Transformers movies. I compared them to a pair of Bowers and Wilkins which also sounded good but I thought those speakers would be more for music. I also heard Def Tech speakers which have the built in sub but I was worried that it would muddy the sound and I already have a dedicated sub.

I think I'll stay with the ML. I agree with you JonFo for the room size 4 lx16 will be better than 2 fx. They'll be more visible though compared to motion 4 or fx, but the dark cherry will match the fronts.

So I went ahead and purchased 4 of the lx16's and a motion 30 to go along with a the motion 40 towers. Not sure I can post prices but the lx16 were cheaper than the motion 4's! Now to find a receiver to power these babies!

For a receiver, I'd recommend the Denon 4520, as it should be discounted now given that the new Atmos enabled receivers are coming out at the end of the year.
With Audyssey XT32 onboard, it will ensure your setup sounds cohesive in the room.

For a receiver, I'd recommend the Denon 4520, as it should be discounted now given that the new Atmos enabled receivers are coming out at the end of the year.
With Audyssey XT32 onboard, it will ensure your setup sounds cohesive in the room.

that's definitely a great receiver. I was hoping to snag an x4000 for under $1000 when the new Denon models are out because I'm not sure the 4520 will fall to my budget. i'd still benefit from audyssey xt32 and hopefully it'll run the system without the need for a separate amp. But I guess if the x4000 is not sufficient and I need separate amp I'll end up spending the same amount as the 4520....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back