My New Ethos -- First of many upgrades

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny saleh

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to thank you all members who reply to a number of my previous posting.

See attached picture of my new speaker. Now, I have two separate system both standing speakers are by Martin Logan - one for purely stereo hifi to listen to my Vinyl, SACD and CD collection and the other one is for my home theater. Am in the process of upgrading my system, I don't want to be complicated but keep it simple and within reasonable budget. Currently, am using my old system -- Preamp by Sony, ESD1000 and Power Amp by Rotel.

My next purchases will be an integrated Amp by McIntosh, either MA7900 or MA8000 - waiting for the item to come and tested. Afterward, I am aiming to purchase Audio Research VS115 Power Amp if/when I an in the mood to listen to Tube sound. Lastly, my last purchase probably McIntosh turntable MT5. The entire process may only complete around 9-12 months, surely depending on my bonuses and complaint from my wife.

The sole reason why I bought those brands (Martin Logan, McIntosh and Audio Research) because they have established distribution system in my country, Indonesia with a good track record. Thus after sales service is excellent. I did looked and tried other brand such as Krell or Classe but they being sold by independent hifi store thus after sales services is in question.

Most of my cable are from Chord.

I decided to purchase Ethos model mainly to the size of my listening room -- my seating arrangement is about 3 meters from the speakers. I did tried with Montis, but it's just to big of a sound.

Welcome any feedback or comment

Cheers

IMG_1803 v2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 395
I think you're wasting your money, having two separate systems in the same physical space. In your place I would spend the money on one system comprised of higher-end components. For example, why do you need two integrated amplifiers? I would go for a (higher quality) preamp and power amp instead.

Then there is the philosophy that any undriven speaker in the same space degrades the sound; I don't know if it's true, but as a test listen to the Ethos with and without the Electromotions in the room.

Also, try to move that cabinet so it's not between the speakers. If you have fewer components you'll need a smaller cabinet.

I am also curious why you would have two systems in the same space. Are you thinking that one system optimized for audio only can't also be optimized for audio/video? I think Bernard's suggestion of making one system with great gear is the way to go, but good luck in your journey whichever way you choose.

Agreed. Also because of the those two speakers the Logans are being heavily compromised. They are pointing out the wrong way, there is too much in between them, so all the magic of the Logans will be lost. I would rather point them a bit in, bring them forward, and there is no reason for so much space between them. For an Ethos 7-8 feet between the panels is fine.

Agree with the above posters. Get the best components you can to drive the MLs, ditch the other speakers, buy separates, and DON'T I REPEAT DON'T buy a McIntosh TT, for $6500 there are many much better tables.

Robert, the guys at Audio Aficionado are gung-ho about all things McIntosh, including the turntables. I think they are ugly, as do others here.

Ugly, yes! If I'm not mistaken, Clearaudio makes them for Mcintosh, at least the mechanicals, so if you want a Clearaudio buy one.

I use MA7900 for full range ESL. It sounds warm like a tube amb and drives most ESL with ease. The sound is very much in my taste and is in my opinion a good match with ESL and ML speakers. Some stereophiles like better direct coupled SS amplifiers - but the ML speakers will in my opinion sound to harsh with this setup unless you have a very good tube pre amp. The MA7900 has a good DAC and the amp is better than a lot of separate solution. Mcintosh is very musical compared to a lot of other brands. You may also consider Luxman.

Agreed. Also because of the those two speakers the Logans are being heavily compromised. They are pointing out the wrong way, there is too much in between them, so all the magic of the Logans will be lost. I would rather point them a bit in, bring them forward, and there is no reason for so much space between them. For an Ethos 7-8 feet between the panels is fine.
I agree with he posts stating that having a single system is better. I myself have Vantage, which is the predecessor of Ethos, and I am very pleased (actually, more like over-the-moon ;-)) with their sound for movies as well as for music.

As for the placement, I have been very successful with a slightly unorthodox approach: They are spaced quite far apart, and toed in to cross their axis in front of me and not behind me. This means that I listen to the outermost third of the panel and not the innermost. It also means that the rearwave is reflected away from the listening position and not towards it. It also increases the effective distance to the wall behind speaker the speakers as seen from the panels compared to what it would be with he speakers in the same position but with less toe-in. It also means that when I am sitting to the side of the sweet-spot, I will listen to the furthest-away speaker more on-axis than the closest speaker, i.e. opposite of what happens with a more conventional setup, thereby effectively broadening the sweet-spot quite considerably.

One prerequisite for this to work is that the distance towards the side walls is large enough so that the rearwave (which will bounce of the front wall, hit the side walls, and end up in the listening position) is large enough. It seems from the pictures that this is the case in this room.

I suggest to try it, it is after all free :).

For the adjustment of the bass control, I use the test tones at this web page, and listen for even response with no second harmonic generation (bass doubling: http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_subwooferharmonicdistortion.php

I ended up with the bass control at -2 for my Vantages. I have what feels and sounds like full response down to 36 Hz where it starts to roll off slowly. I still have useful output at 24 Hz, and hearable (well - more like feelable) output at 20 Hz. My windows and space-heaters start rattling before the speakers begin to distort, so I have ditched the idea of a sub in my room.

Enjoy your experiments, and keep us updated!

Kedar, I think a fisheye lens was used to take the picture, hence it looks like the speakers are pointing outward.

It's a fisheye lens so it looks toed out.

I don't get why you have 2 systems. Better if you bought the Montis and rid yourself of the other speaker.

Latest posts

Back