Driving the ML CLX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luisgc

Reaction score
I have a pair of ML CLX, driven by an ARC ref 110, together with the ARC ref 5 preamp, CD8, and DAC8. Even though I love the sound overall, sometimes I would like to get a more solid presence from the amp, so I have been thinking of upgrading to the ARC Ref 150 amp, everyone tells me makes a real difference. But still, another friend of mine insists that the best sounding amp from AR is the Ref 75. Half the power but, he tells me, even better sound and enough of a punch. My concern is whether a 75 watt amp will really improve the presentation I am getting from the 110. As far as quality of sound it probably will, but how about power. Does anyone have such a combination of CLX driven by a Ref 75, and/or a Ref 150 AR?

CLX or any ML ESL is not an easy load to a tube amplifier. Sound quality of the amplifier is important of course but it also depends on how well the output can match the load of the speaker. Easiest way would be to test both amplifiers at home. Just by looking at the specs REF150 might have slight edge with higher damping factor (regulation and negative feedback are approximately same) but since everything is relative to frequency is hard to tell actual performance. I'm not so sure how they would relate to REF110 witch is placed somewhere in between. I have read lot of positive comments on all REF75/REF110/REF150 so it's a tough call. Without actually running CLX for comparison I would hesitate to make a decision. Talk to your dealer, I'm sure they can arrange someway for testing.

BTW
By "more solid presence" do you mean you are lacking of power or you need more snappy sound or more low end punch? For last two you might look outside tube amplifier selection and for the first.. well, you know the answer ;-)

Last edited:
Marck on this forum is using an ARC Ref 150 to drive his CLXes. You should PM him. As well, talk to Roberto, who is also in Costa Rica, and also has CLXes. He has experimented with a number of different amplifiers, and is very knowledgeable.

I have a pair of ML CLX, driven by an ARC ref 110, together with the ARC ref 5 preamp, CD8, and DAC8. Even though I love the sound overall, sometimes I would like to get a more solid presence from the amp, so I have been thinking of upgrading to the ARC Ref 150 amp, everyone tells me makes a real difference. But still, another friend of mine insists that the best sounding amp from AR is the Ref 75. Half the power but, he tells me, even better sound and enough of a punch. My concern is whether a 75 watt amp will really improve the presentation I am getting from the 110. As far as quality of sound it probably will, but how about power. Does anyone have such a combination of CLX driven by a Ref 75, and/or a Ref 150 AR?

Even if you choose not to upgrade your amp, you might want to look at changing your valves to KT 120, which are in the 75. That itself will make the 110 more powerful

hi Bernard

I have a arc ref150 and ref5se driving a pr of clxs,overall it is a excellent choice, but to be honest I will to like to purchase a pr of Conrad Johnson amplifiers and will sell both pieces.

hi Bernard

I have a arc ref150 and ref5se driving a pr of clxs,overall it is a excellent choice, but to be honest I will to like to purchase a pr of Conrad Johnson amplifiers and will sell both pieces.
If the ARCs are excellent, why do you want to change? Have you listened to the CJs driving the CLXes?

As Bernard mentioned above I am using the Ref150 with my clx's. I have not tried the ref75 though.

In terms of performance of my amplifier, I think that it is terrific. It has plenty of punch and dynamics. My concern with the smaller amplifier would be if it had enough power to really drive the full range panels. M.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Problem solved.
You are absolutely right, following those who recommended to test the amp at home, I did just that and I found the ARC 150 to be just right in the sense that it gives me the full bodied presence I wanted, plus the prerequisite of better imaging and full range of frequencies. Like I said, I tested it and it's staying here. One more additional reason is the dealer brought it with the KP150 tubes already installed, so it made a huge difference. Thank you all for helping solve this little riddle and let me say I am happy. It worked great. LGC

Problem solved.
You are absolutely right, following those who recommended to test the amp at home, I did just that and I found the ARC 150 to be just right in the sense that it gives me the full bodied presence I wanted, plus the prerequisite of better imaging and full range of frequencies. Like I said, I tested it and it's staying here. One more additional reason is the dealer brought it with the KP150 tubes already installed, so it made a huge difference. Thank you all for helping solve this little riddle and let me say I am happy. It worked great. LGC

You gotta love Mr. Saxon!

Que lo disfrute mucho, ese ref150 con los kt150 es una maravilla, y no calienta nada!...

So I was under the impression that arc hadn't confirmed the use of the KT150 in the Ref150 yet. How does that affect your warranty? Glad that you did the demo though, the outcome was what I thought! M.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back