New turntable in da house!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you decide on this rather exotic TT? What was its competition? What sealed the deal for you?

How did you decide on this rather exotic TT? What was its competition? What sealed the deal for you?

It was quite a journey, actually. I started researching turntable design after I decided I wanted to buy another turntable. I was initially drawn to the Kuzma Stabi M, after I saw it at RMAF.
Here's a pic of the Stabi M...
3.2.3.02.-stabi-m-closed-L.jpg

I was all set to purchase it, but I couldn't get the deal I wanted from my local vendor and the price, with tonearm would have been over $24k. I couldn't justify spending that much money with everything else on my plate, so I passed. Also, I wanted to be able to add another tonearm in the future and this table didn't allow for that. Why was I drawn to the Kuzma? I think it was due to the engineering, as I'm a sucker for quality engineering, substance over appearance, whatever. If looks were the main criteria, I'd have probably gone with something from Artizan Fidelity, as I think they make the best looking turntables, bar none! I mean, check this beauty out...
IMG_2798-1200-web_logo_copy-L.jpg

I began to notice that many turntable manufacturers used separate tonearm pods, motors and controllers for their top of the line tables. Here's the Kuzma Stabi XL...
937.0900x0600-L.jpg

This Kuzma also uses a high quality guage for repeatable VTA settings (Hmm, so does the TTW). Of course, if the Stabi M was too pricey, this one, with no tonearms is around $31k! Most definitely out of my price range.

Another table that caught my eye and consideration was the Dr. Fiekert Firebird. I noticed that it, as well as many other top tier turntables used multiple belts or multiple pulleys for the belt in their design. It also had the capability to use two tonearms. Here's a shot of the Firebird...
feickert_firebird-L.jpg

The one I came closest to buying, other than the TTW was the AMG Viella V12. Glowing reviews and a simple setup. I love the bearing design of this turntable and it influenced my decision. Again, only one tonearm capability. Here's the AMG...
IMG_2087-amg-turntable-small-M.jpg

These are just five of the many I looked at. Another very strong contender was the SME 20/3 and it is also an engineering firm.

So, things that I can currently think of that I liked were...

Quality engineering - an engineering company is who I wanted to make my table. I wanted to see the specs in a way that I could understand them. I wanted something that would last and was built like a brick s**t house! Heavy and substantial, with the ability to accurately and repeatably set and reset VTA. I wanted a great drive system that was governed by a separate controller. I wanted a great bearing and a powerful motor that would ease into platter rotation and slow the platter down. I wanted the ability to have two or three tonearms. I wanted a heavy platter and I wanted copper. When I added everything up the TTW fit the bill for me.

Other notes on TTW. They are also an aerospace engineering firm, the owner of TTW just happens to be an audiophile, a fanatic audiophile. He'll talk your ear off about the engineering he does on his tables. He's extremely enthusiastic about building the very best. Their tolerances are as good as anything in the industry. They use the most advanced CNC machines available. The price was right. The value is over the top, IMHO.

Bernard, no I didn't. For some reason, I thought it was Greek and I think it was priced higher than I wanted to spend. I think the counter rotating platters of the Kronos is quite unique.

Great process. I am beginning the process of looking for a new TT/Arm in the $10K range. I will keep your post/process in mind.

Steve, why was a copper platter a factor for you?

Anthony, I love the looks of copper platters and I have noticed a lot of companies use copper in their platters on their top tier tables. Raven and Micro Seiki come to mind immediately. I've also read that it has ideal sound characteristics for platter use.

Anthony, I love the looks of copper platters and I have noticed a lot of companies use copper in their platters on their top tier tables. Raven and Micro Seiki come to mind immediately. I've also read that it has ideal sound characteristics for platter use.

Interesting. I've seen many pictures of different TTs with copper platters but I never gave it much thought as to the sound characteristics. They have always looked nice to me, though. I wonder if VPI has ever contemplated offering a copper platter option, or if their TTs are voiced specifically for aluminum. At any rate, nice looking TT you have there.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure how much of an effect on sound quality the platter material makes. Obviously, it must have some effect, else all these turntable manufacturers wouldn't try so many different types out. I've noticed some that go from some kind of polymer to some kind of metal, while others go from metal to plastics! Some go back and forth, while others use different materials as you go up their line. I've yet to see one change from copper, once they migrated to it.

Steve, is there some sort of film on it to seal it from the air, so that it does not get tarnished? I use steel-lined copper pans for cooking. They are great pans, but cleaning the copper is a bugger!

Quite honestly, I'm not sure how much of an effect on sound quality the platter material makes. Obviously, it must have some effect, else all these turntable manufacturers wouldn't try so many different types out. I've noticed some that go from some kind of polymer to some kind of metal, while others go from metal to plastics! Some go back and forth, while others use different materials as you go up their line. I've yet to see one change from copper, once they migrated to it.

Some use a combination of materials, note Feickert's line with the flywheel platters.

Steve, is there some sort of film on it to seal it from the air, so that it does not get tarnished? I use steel-lined copper pans for cooking. They are great pans, but cleaning the copper is a bugger!

Yes, Bernard, there is a seal just for that reason. The center weight also has the seal. My other center weight is brass and isn't sealed and tarnishes quickly.

Some use a combination of materials, note Feickert's line with the flywheel platters.

Yes. There are so many different things that can be done to platters. The Feickert platters have the brass inserts to fight resonance, I believe. Heck, some manufacturers use glass platters. Some use the same kind of vinyl that is used in records. I just picked one that seemed to make sense to me. It makes sense to me that a heavy platter ought to have plenty of gyroscopic force. Of course, one could argue that a light platter would be easier to control electrically to maintain a constant speed and there are manufacturers who do just that. In the end, I think it is the implementation that is key.

It was quite a journey, actually. I started researching turntable design after I decided I wanted to buy another turntable. I was initially drawn to the Kuzma Stabi M, after I saw it at RMAF.
Here's a pic of the Stabi M...

[photo deleted]

I was all set to purchase it, but I couldn't get the deal I wanted from my local vendor and the price, with tonearm would have been over $24k. I couldn't justify spending that much money with everything else on my plate, so I passed. Also, I wanted to be able to add another tonearm in the future and this table didn't allow for that. Why was I drawn to the Kuzma? I think it was due to the engineering, as I'm a sucker for quality engineering, substance over appearance, whatever.
[snip]

I began to notice that many turntable manufacturers used separate tonearm pods, motors and controllers for their top of the line tables. Here's the Kuzma Stabi XL...

[photo deleted]

This Kuzma also uses a high quality guage for repeatable VTA settings (Hmm, so does the TTW). Of course, if the Stabi M was too pricey, this one, with no tonearms is around $31k! Most definitely out of my price range.

Depending upon tonearm, the adjustable VTA arm tower may not be necessary, such as with the Kuzma 4Point which has its own on-the-fly VTA adjustment.

I've sold both the Stabi M and Stabi XL (the model you showed is the 4-motor Stabi XL4). I don't know what kind of setup service your local vendor was offering, but I just quoted someone a price on a Stabi M/4Point which might surprise you, including traveling to the east coast and doing the full alignment inclusive of setting azimuth and SRA by computer.

Just the same, congratulations on your purchase, and I wish you many hours of delightful listening.

Latest posts

Back