14x18x8 room - How big can I go?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akm3

Reaction score
I am converting a basement office into a new home theater. It is 18feet x 14feet with 8' ceilings. (Maybe even only 7 foot ceilings, it's a bit low)

So, it's not a big room. Right now I have Mosaics, but I would like to go back to electrostatic panels. I'm considering vantages, but could I go up bigger in a room that size? Obviously CLX would be too big, but would Summits work well?

Is there a rule of thumb that will tell me if ill have better sound setting the mains up on the narrow wall or the long wall? I have options

Hi if you fire it across then with 14 feet I don't think you can do much apart from Ethos. I have Summits at 15.5 feet, front to back wall, and wouldn't suggest any lesser.

I would go with firing it down the room. At 18 feet, you can do Montis, Summits, or Summit X, whatever you choose. I haven't heard CLXs but have heard large panels like Analysis Audio Omega and Apogees at that distance so don't see why you can't do them in that room. 7 feet between the panels, and panels no more than 5 feet from the wall, still lets you sit at 12 feet between centre of panels and you, with some space behind your head.

Get the CLX :bowdown:

5 feet from front wall and put your spot ~3-5 feet from back wall. Side walls should have 1-2 feet gap to CLX. It will work.

Latest posts

Back