Dolby Atmos - Speaker selection and setup

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jumping into the processor topic, I would say at this moment that the Trinnov Altitude is pretty much the winner in the >$10,000 3D processor space. Given the real-world challenges most people have in placing speakers in optimal positions in the rooms or HT's, the speaker remapping feature of the Trinnov is priceless. That and the general architecture of the unit is superb. As for sound quality, their D/A's are very, very good. Whatever shortcomings they might have relative to some top-of-the-line stand-alone D/A, is completely made up for and then some by the Room Correction and all the other capabilities this unit has.

I agree with the remapping thing from what I have heard. I found Trinnov Stereo processor internal DAC poor, and I found the Datasat better though not as good as 2-ch dacs, and I think for 2-ch both can be improved by putting a dac after it. The guy whose Datasat system I heard (and who wants to move to Altitude), thought the same about the Dacs. In fact he was planning to put NAD dacs after the processor.

Anyway I think I will wait for you to set up and then pay you a visit.

The speaker/room correction system in these units will ensure that the speakers are in phase...
You would think so, but for now the Datasat does not set distance/delay properly, and users are compelled to use REW or other third party measurement tools to manually do this simple task. Dunno what their timetable is for a fix, if any. Trinnov has no such problem.

Can’t wait for modern MCH masters like Steve Wilson to publish an Atmos encoded disc one of these days. What he did with 5.1 on Storm Corrosion and the Raven that Refused to Sing is absolutely brilliant, so a whole extra dimension for him to paint his soundscapes on is going to a be a real treat.
I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, Jonathan, but his new album is due in February.:music: No mention of Atmos mixing, though. You have the new Opeth?

I found Trinnov Stereo processor internal DAC poor...
Kedar, presumably you made this comparison in the same system, yes? How did you determine that the DAC was the difference?

FWIW, I sold my Berkeley Alpha when I purchased my first, ST2-PRO Trinnov because I couldn't hear a lick of difference. Like Jonathan, I think that DAC differences, if any, will be dwarfed by other factors, especially the superb RC.

Kedar, presumably you made this comparison in the same system, yes? How did you determine that the DAC was the difference?

FWIW, I sold my Berkeley Alpha when I purchased my first, ST2-PRO Trinnov because I couldn't hear a lick of difference. Like Jonathan, I think that DAC differences, if any, will be dwarfed by other factors, especially the superb RC.

I heard the Trinnov dac in my system compared to the Rega, Ar Dac 8, and an electrocompaniet. The 400 quid Rega was better. Actually, I just didn't like the dac. I heard the Datasat in a different system, and while I didn't compare it, I didn't find it bad. I found it listenable, a budget dac.

As such, I don't find both dacs anywhere near audiophile. I can understand what you say that the RC outweighs the difference, but I am not a fan of either in 2-channel. I find shortcomings in timbre and bloom of instruments. I have heard Nick's system before, and while the Mch was quite good, I was not sold. It is the ambience of the Auro that has me sold. The fact that Nick says he can upgrade the sound by putting in a NAD dac just confirms this, and he does nothing all day except compare these things. He has extensive experience with both, and he too said the datasat dac was better, so passing that on.

If I stay two channel I won't give up audiophile dacs and preamps, I will do that only if I go the Mch route. Another guy called Brucemck2 on WBF who has the Trinnov, for stereo bypasses the Trinnov and loads his MSB with Acourate directly into a VTL pre.

I heard the Trinnov dac in my system compared to the Rega, Ar Dac 8, and an electrocompaniet. The 400 quid Rega was better. Actually, I just didn't like the dac.
This was a sighted evaluation when you had the Trinnov in your system for a few hours? Were the DACs connected to the Trinnov digital out? What were the Trinnov clock settings and how did you ensure level match <1dB when you switched DACs?

Last edited:
This was a sighted evaluation when you had the Trinnov in your system for a few hours? What were the Trinnov clock settings and how did you ensure level match <1dB when you switched DACs?

Sighted, not level matched. But when 3 dacs sound nice and one sounds bad, you don't need to really compare that close. The clock settings were done by a guy who had used it for two years, not sure what they were.

Sighted, not level matched.
Thanks, that's what I expected.

We've already corresponded privately about my opinion of the gentleman who "calibrated" your system, and that opinion remains unchanged.

Any thoughts on how a 7-ft line array such as Dali Megalines would do as the front two in this Auro/Atmos set up? If the ceilings were 11ft, would ceiling box speakers (say small KEF/B&W) work?

Also how about omnis such as MBL 116f for the front two?

To start an Mch system, what is the easiest way to get into the electronics - assuming Datasat/Trinnov is the dream end, to be introduced a few years down the line when things are in a good shape.

Thinking of either a server with Dirac on it feeding an exasound e28, or is there a good cheap atmos processor - like Pioneer or Denon that can be used to feed the power amps used for logans?

Thanks. How do these guys build a 25 page thread in just over a month?

Thanks. How do these guys build a 25 page thread in just over a month?
It's a really big forum, Kedar, and there are a lot of folks keen to implement Atmos e.g. fresh off the press: Gravity will be released on Blu-ray with an Atmos mix Feb 2015. Expect to see more and more Atmos BD mixes in future.

Latest posts

Back