New Theos owner with a few questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docalan

Reaction score
I just rec'd delivery of a new pair of Theos- arrived thankfully in perfect condition. Busy experimenting with room position. They sound great- CDs revealing new detail- if a bit harsh- perhaps they need to break in a bit.
1- Should I use the 4 ohm or 8 ohm output of the amp? Does it matter? Using a McIntosh MC300 amp-
2-Using a Dynamo 700 sw- It is placed in one of the front corners (using wireless connection to my pre-pro). Is it better to have it fire downward or into the room? Any suggestions on setting up the sub to integrate with the Theos?
docalan

I just rec'd delivery of a new pair of Theos- arrived thankfully in perfect condition. Busy experimenting with room position. They sound great- CDs revealing new detail- if a bit harsh- perhaps they need to break in a bit.
1- Should I use the 4 ohm or 8 ohm output of the amp? Does it matter? Using a McIntosh MC300 amp-
2-Using a Dynamo 700 sw- It is placed in one of the front corners (using wireless connection to my pre-pro). Is it better to have it fire downward or into the room? Any suggestions on setting up the sub to integrate with the Theos?
docalan

I don’t own Theos speakers, but I do have experience with electrostatic speakers:
- Don’t put the speakers “down ward” but strait up, or facing them a bit upwards. The sound is mainly coming from the top of the speakers, and will go “downward” against the floor– like a landing plane.
- Try to face them toward the “sweet spot” – listening chair. (5 – 10 degrees) Although Martin Logan speakers are not as directional as other ESL brands, they need somehow to face the listener. Adjust as you go – the room acoustics do matter a lot.
- ML and other electrostatic speakers go down under 1 ohm when playing high frequencies. Hence, some people prefer to use the 2 ohm output from the amplifier to avoid “rolling off” heights/sounds and to ensure all the rich details (in particular for tube amps). The problem may be less control over the speakers and less tight bass. Hence, some prefer the 4 ohm or 8 ohm output instead. To make sure that the amplifier can handle 4 or 8 ohms for a low impedance speaker, such as ML, play a whole CD (loud) and check if the heat sinks are very warm. If not - the amplifier handles the load. The only way to know for sure is to try all outputs in your own setup and room. There are no further preconceptions for what to choose. Only your ears can tell.

Last edited:
Back