Sigh... which amp do I need... I'm sorry I'm asking this!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasBierChef

Reaction score
For those who didn't see my post over in the intro section, hello! Nice to meet you!

I am on the verge of investing in a 2 channel ML system (Theos) and have a question regarding amplification. I am a college student so money is a little tight, but not too tight (obviously). I work at a big blue consumer electronics retailer, and that gives me access to some solid discounts, particularly on ML speakers. However, I do not have many value options in the world of quality amplifiers. So, I currently plan on biamping with a Marantz 7008. I know there are better options out there, but what would be better and available for under $1000?

Seriously. I want advice and suggestions. Or, if you have any input on using the 7008, I'd love to hear it.

Hopefully I'll be auditioning this set up late July, and making a decision there. There are no decent ML retailers in the great state of Iowa, so I need to trek up to MSP to check it out.

Please don't burn me at the stake for asking about amplifiers!!! I know i'm a newbie!!!

Kiddo, IMO, keep saving your $$ so you can at least dbl your amp budget, I'm not saying you can't find amplification (used given your budget) for a grand or less, rather it would be nice to have more options that a bigger budget would give you. Continue listening through your Marantz receiver knowing that better days are ahead …………

In the meantime, peruse the pages of AudioGon and feel free to come back with more questions.

Unless you already have the Marantz, I suggest that you forget about biamping for starters and go instead for a better 2-channel amp; check out Parasound on Audiogon. You can buy another 2-channel amp for biamping at a later date.

Hola. Instead of buying an expensive or tight in power amp to drive the Theos, get the Ethos model, and with a small amp, you can drive them easy. Happy listening!

Thank you for the advice so far, fellas!

I can get a pair of Theos for about (awesome value) new in box. For Ethos it'd be closer to (good, but not as great price). Soooo I'm going to stick with Theos.

I don't yet have the marantz, sorry if that was poorly written. I can get a decent deal on about anything from either bestbuy.com, or magnoliaav.com. Knowing I can probably push my amp budget up to $2000, what would work well with a set of Theos? I can certainly venture off of these sites if a good deal exists elsewhere.

Oh, and I'm probably getting a Project Genie to spin some records.

Thank you all so much for educating a clueless youngin!

Last edited:
For those who didn't see my post over in the intro section, hello! Nice to meet you!

I am on the verge of investing in a 2 channel ML system (Theos) and have a question regarding amplification. I am a college student so money is a little tight, but not too tight (obviously). I work at a big blue consumer electronics retailer, and that gives me access to some solid discounts, particularly on ML speakers. However, I do not have many value options in the world of quality amplifiers. So, I currently plan on biamping with a Marantz 7008. I know there are better options out there, but what would be better and available for under $1000?

Seriously. I want advice and suggestions. Or, if you have any input on using the 7008, I'd love to hear it.

Hopefully I'll be auditioning this set up late July, and making a decision there. There are no decent ML retailers in the great state of Iowa, so I need to trek up to MSP to check it out.

Please don't burn me at the stake for asking about amplifiers!!! I know i'm a newbie!!!

For theos you should have a powerful amp 100W 8 ohms / 200W 4 ohms - unless the room volume is not to large. Probably it is a good advice to go for ethos with smaller amp. That said - a true hi end system should be driven by one amp - and not active sub woofers, so theos with a proper amp is the better choice IMO. I think if you can get a used t+a or luxman it may be a good match. Remember, if you find class A amp - you Get plenty of currency and you need less W - apparently.

A used mcintosh, tube or SS, may also be a option, but some people claims that the high tones are rolled of, and is not too fast compared to direct coupled SS amps, which could be an issue for electrostatic speakers. IMO - mc sound natural and is not as harsh as most SS.

So apparently I can save some serious green on Rotel components. Thoughts on something like the 1582 mkII?

So apparently I can save some serious green on Rotel components. Thoughts on something like the 1582 mkII?

Honestly, ML and Rotel are in very different leagues. Get a used high-end amp to ensure an acceptable match for the ML!

Are you planning to run separate components (Pre-Amp/Power Amp) or an integrated amplifier?

Are you able to try any of these amps out before you buy one? I suggest you not rush the process too much, and decide after you've listened to your Theosii for a few (50-100) hrs, demo-ing amps all the while. A Rotel might be just fine for you. It's not always necessary to spend a Metric S-Ton of cash for a component, depending on what you'd like to get out of your system. If you're new to this hobby, take your time and experiment with your speakers, and get the right Amplifier, Pre-Amplifier, Music Server, etc.. the first time (or at least the second time).

Last edited:
Oh, and probably get your pricing off the page so you don't get in trouble at work.

To the rest of you, any guess what the cost of manufacturing a Theos is if the employee price for a pair at K-Mart is (See Above)?? :p

Are you planning to run separate components (Pre-Amp/Power Amp) or an integrated amplifier?

Are you able to try any of these amps out before you buy one? I suggest you not rush to process too much, and decide after you've listened to your Theosii for a few (50-100) hrs, demo-ing amps all the while. A Rotel might be just fine for you. It's not always necessary to spend a Metric S-Ton of cash for a component, depending on what you'd like to get out of your system. If you're new to this hobby, take your time and experiment with your speakers, and get the right Amplifier, Pre-Amplifier, Music Server, etc.. the first time (or at least the second time).

I agree with Julian as well ………...

Take a look at the Emotiva line. You can get an amp/preamp for close to your budget. Better than Rotel IMO. Check out the XPA-200 amp and the UMC-200 pre-amp.

https://emotiva.com/

DasBierChef, you can run the Theos with a Bryston B-60. The combination is a good one. I ran my Theos speakers for a couple years with a Bryston and I had no problems hitting quite high spl's. Regarding receivers, a pre-loved Denon 3313 will do very nicely. Moving up to the Marantz 7008 would be a good move giving you a bit more power over the 3313. I can't comment on other receiver brands like Pioneer and Onkyo etc - some may shut down if you drive them too hard. I did try a couple of NAD receivers, and they both shut down when I asked too much of them. I have heard though, that NAD has since fixed their receiver's low impedance drive ability on their V2 models.

Last edited:
I never realized how good the pricing on Emotiva is. Damn! I think I may have found my route. I'm leaning towards individual components, like the XPA-2 for power and a 2 channel preamp marantz, maybe. Most of my demoing will have to take place in store, unfortunately. Far from ideal. At least it'll be in an MDC, so it's acoustically better than big box store. And being new to this wonderful world of incredible 2 channel, I'm not aiming for anything completely top of the line. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy a Sony 5.1 receiver driving the Theos. Well, maybe not Sony. I want to start with a quality system for the money, and upgrade parts gradually as the years go by. So Emotiva over rotel? Is that a pretty unanimous opinion for driving Logans?

Emo's may be good value, but the reports of bad quality worry me - perhaps unnecessarily.

In the $1K region, I'd pick up the ATI 1802, which should drive the Theos effortlessly.

Good performance, good design, good quality and they're built like a tank.

The more and more I read, the more and more I'm leaning towards the Odyssey. Seems like a real bargain for what it offers. Of course, I need to hear these. Good thing they offer a 30 day money back guarantee! Is there anywhere in Iowa, Kansas City or Minneapolis/St. Paul where a guy could demo these, Emotiva, or Rotels all together?

Be advised that they take quite a while to break in.

Maybe two to three months.

If you do buy, I'd run it 24 - 7 for 3 weeks if at all possible and then listen somewhat seriously.

That will leave you a week to return if you don't like what you're hearing.

Or see if they have a unit that's been burned in a bit.

IMHO, burn in is not a myth.

GG

I've read that in about every review of a new Stratus. On top of that, they all say the new sound after burn in is comparable with units 2-3 grand more. I'm darn near sold on one.

Preamp is the next topic on the docket.

Back