Feeling tense?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBS

Reaction score
I was a little perturbed to read the thread (now closed) regarding diaphragm tension: poor old Beanbag posts a perfectly lucid and valid model of a curved diaphragm under tension, and everyone shouts him down! So I guess there's no point making another attempt using simple mechanics: here’s a model I made using cling-film which has been heat-tensioned, so uniform tension horizontal and vertical. Just as beanbag predicted, the film has no choice but to adopt a saddle-shape: in this case, just contacting the support cylinder right in the centre.

1-P1020283.JPG

John

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how did you happen upon the original thread?

Also, you might want to introduce yourself, including your interest in Martin Logan, if any.

Yes, John, it was quite a revelation to be told of that particular discovery. I put it up there with string thoery.

Last edited:
I happened upon it whilst trying to find a retailer in the UK.

I'm an engineer, retired from the BBC, and as a college student I designed a pair of ELS headphones. My interest in these speakers is to hear a pair. I used to own a pair of the first QUAD ELS's, followed by Spendor BC1's and currently BBC LS5/9's.

The reaction to that thread was the product of many trollish posts and thread interruptions/hi-jackings. Patience had run out.

Welcome, John. Contrary to what your first impression MAY have been, we are an open minded bunch of enthusiasts. Take a good look around. There is a wealth of information here.

Julian

Thanks Julian. I could never grasp string theory, but I gather it may be falling out of fashion? In which case, I'm almost vindicated. I'm currently grappling with Graham's number :)

I happened upon it whilst trying to find a retailer in the UK.

I'm an engineer, retired from the BBC, and as a college student I designed a pair of ELS headphones. My interest in these speakers is to hear a pair. I used to own a pair of the first QUAD ELS's, followed by Spendor BC1's and currently BBC LS5/9's.

Hi John,
If you want to hear MLs in London, the best place is KJ West One in Marylebone. There are also a few here in London who might be willing to open their doors.
Matt

Hi John,

Welcome.

Please reference Post No. 19 on that closed thread. It may give you a clue.

After reading it, maybe you will feel less perturbed.

Good luck with your ML quest. It's a great product for the money.

GG

Back