Ayre QB-9 DSD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
For those of you who own QB-9's and haven't done the latest update, take my advice and get 'er done. It really is a major change for the better. Really.:cool:

I just got mine sent in, what differences are you hearing...besides sales people I haven't heard anyone describe the differences...real excited :)

Actually, it is rather amazing. Articulation, bass, both much better. You will find that you can listen at lower levels and not feel like you are missing anything. My high frequencies became more natural and pure. I've got one friend who confessed to me that he always thought my Wilson's could sound harsh at higher volumes, but he has changed his mind about the speakers and now considers their sound as one of the best two speakers he's heard. This is due to the changes brought by the improved Ayre DSD!

Last edited:
That's great to hear, if I had to complain about the dac before it would have been towards the high frequencies. They got hard sounding and very forward at times. There were times it deffinatley sounded digital, but some recordings, 24/96 Allison Krauss that were sooooo amazing, I can't believe it can get better for the money!!

I'd like to get some more bottom end, but I'm thinking that the amp simply isn't powerful enough to push it...I'm looking into an Ayre 5-xe...but what a treat if the dac change will do it!!

I heard it and it really does sound outstanding. Big jump in performance for the $.

Thanks Steve. Both you and Don thought it was easy to hear the improvement. Don even changed his opinion of my speakers! I heard that you sold the Esoteric?? That was a great sounding front end, I really liked it.

Back