History does repeat itself again

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Seems as if we are starting to see the failure of the Iraqi government and its similarities to Vietnam in 1973.

Why we cannot learn from history and repeat the same mistakes, such as our attempts in nation building, is something I cannot understand.

Of course, the real tragedy is the loss of life on all sides during the most recent war not to mention the continued trauma of those US citizens that served and then returned.

And also the impact on our economy as a result of the billions spent looking for something that never existed.

How sad and tragic.

Oh well, here we go again.

GG

Last edited:
When Bush the son precipitated the invasion of Iraq over WMDs I said to my wife and anyone else that would listen, that we would defeat the Iraqi army, as it was, but it wouldn't matter because when we left it would soon revert to some type of dictatorship/theocracy. I hate being right. Tens of thousands of lives wasted, billions, possibly trillions, of dollars wasted and for what?

sand rats ………… nothing but sand rats…...

Some interesting numbers to ponder since tomorrow is the 10 anniversary of our most recent invasion of Iraq.

Total cost of war $4 to $6 Trillion. This includes projected benefits to Vets who fought.

4,500 US deaths. 650,000 Iraqi civilian deaths.

Current annual costs for some programs.

Medicaid / $250 billion

Federal aid for public elementary, secondary schools / $524 billion

EPA / $9 billion.

You all can do the math regarding how many years the above programs would be funded using the war cost as a benchmark.

GG

Some interesting numbers to ponder since tomorrow is the 10 anniversary of our most recent invasion of Iraq.

Total cost of war $4 to $6 Trillion. This includes projected benefits to Vets who fought.

4,500 US deaths. 650,000 Iraqi civilian deaths.

Current annual costs for some programs.

Medicaid / $250 billion

Federal aid for public elementary, secondary schools / $524 billion

EPA / $9 billion.

You all can do the math regarding how many years the above programs would be funded using the war cost as a benchmark.

GG

[Snark/]But Gordon, how would war profiteers make money if we funded health care and education instead of war?[snark/]

Back