Cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
So I have been trying various cables in my system.

Speaker cables - Sanders, Virtual Dynamics (VD) Master Series III, Graditech (high end from Finland which have copper, stranded copper and silver leads at speaker ends that you can mix and match and bi and single wire), and Audioquest K2 (8000 quid per meter).

None of these are making a big difference. A marginal one, yes, Audioquest and Graditech copper are very smooth, the Graditech silver was more open and better imaging and better extension at both ends and was my favorite, but it is so hard to AB between Graditech, Audioquest and VD to spot differences that I wouldn't bother.

I also tried various cables on Lampi 5 and my Sony xa9000ES, and the best combo was lampi with graditech silver, because of the lampi. So yes cables make a difference but once you go above the stock cable, I would just settle at a nice mid-priced used cable.

On interconnects, I have found that difference in RCAs is much higher than in XLRs, where it seems to be non-existent. The silver mogwai XLR that I have at 75 quid has held it's own against an MIT 3k XLR, VD Master series, Albedo (800 pounds)

The Audioquest wilde made a big difference over Teo liquid when used in SPDIF via the Sony, but not when used via the Aurender

Well, there are claims in some quarters that lamp cord measures the same as exotic, anointed-by-snake-oil cables, so they sound the same. I thought that maybe Bozno tested lamp cords to see if his dealer speaks with a forked tongue.

Well, there are claims in some quarters that lamp cord measures the same as exotic, anointed-by-snake-oil cables, so they sound the same.

That's BS Bernard. Lamp cord sucks! That's why I have re-wired all my lamps with expensive audiophile power cords. Now I bask in the purest incandescent glow you have ever witnessed. I'm talking crystal clear light, with several veils lifted, shining through the darkest backdrop imaginable!

That's BS Bernard. Lamp cord sucks! That's why I have re-wired all my lamps with expensive audiophile power cords. Now I bask in the purest incandescent glow you have ever witnessed. I'm talking crystal clear light, with several veils lifted, shining through the darkest backdrop imaginable!
Rich, careful with those lifted veils. You may expose a nubile body and get an open palm applied with speed to your leering countenance. :)

You should really go to LED lighting:ROFL:

For an excellent mid range cable Bonzo try Reference Mercury from Reference Fidelity components. Tell Paul Justin sent you:)

For an excellent mid range cable Bonzo try Reference Mercury from Reference Fidelity components. Tell Paul Justin sent you:)

Justin you were right, the reference fidelity speaker cables are excellent, at a cheap price. The RCAs are more detailed then cheaper chord.

I think if one needs a neutral cable, any well-designed (inductance, capacitance, resistance, good connectors) cable works. No point wasting money. Graditech are minutely marginally better but not worth 4000.

Thing to try are those cables which consciously tune, or change the sound a lot, to see if I prefer them.

I'm not much for digital light. Too much glare. I prefer the enveloping warmth of good old analog incandescent.
Not to mention that with these older analog incandescents you can swap out different brand and types to suit your particular fancy. Just be forewarned ..... that from the minute you install the new lights, their emission degrades which may cause you an immense case of OCD knowing that the bulbs performance is in constant degrade mode from the get go. I also hear that cryo treating the bulbs makes for an even better analog presentation.

Last edited:
As said while I can sense no difference between balanced, difference between RCAs is high. The Kubala Sosna emotion sounded the best, most open and not taking away anything anywhere, Audioquest Sky is artificially enhancing midrange taking off highs. This seems to be a standard audioquest feature in both speaker cables and interconnects.

I've not tried the speaker cable. I should borrow some off of him sometime maybe.

Which RCAs did you try? I hear Plutos are good but the Mercury I know for sure is very good for the money.

Justin you were right, the reference fidelity speaker cables are excellent, at a cheap price. The RCAs are more detailed then cheaper chord.

I think if one needs a neutral cable, any well-designed (inductance, capacitance, resistance, good connectors) cable works. No point wasting money. Graditech are minutely marginally better but not worth 4000.

Thing to try are those cables which consciously tune, or change the sound a lot, to see if I prefer them.

Plutos. They were good for the price. Crystal and Audioquest Sky more expensive were not. Kubala Sosna Emotion much more expensive was much better

Latest posts

Back