Putting Together My Own CLS; Possible?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planckscale

Reaction score
Hi MLOs,
I am interested in stepping onto the CLS.
Given how old the CLS are, I would need to replace the panels sooner than letter. I will also have to buy new electronics to make the speakers work on 220v / 50HZ outlet here in Tanzania. This is what I had to do to my SL3.

Since these two purchases are inevitable, I am contemplating on whether I should just buy new panels and the electronics direct from Martin Logan, instead of buying a used set that I will have to replace those two parts anyway! With new parts, I can then build my own frame.
I am inspired by the work done by one of the members here; Brad225. His new frames are just amazing.

Is this possible? I mean, all I will need is just the electronics, binding posts, and panels?

Your input, please…

Last edited:
Following up with the cost of this build, I received a quotation of $2800 for new CLS panels. I find that a little too high compare to a pair of panels of SL3 - $1300!
Has anybody got a similar quotation lately?

Thanks

Yep, panel costs have gone up substantially in recent years. Especially for the less common large panels like CLS, Monolith and Prodigy.

If you want to step up from an SL3, a couple of options I'd suggest are:

Used:

Spire - the Summit panel with a non-powered woofer. Good crossover, works best if you have a sub (which you do) (good)

New:

Theos - The SL3-class next-gen panel with a very good DSP-driven powered woofer. Requires a sub, but a huge leap over the SL3, (better)

Montis - The Summit panel with a great electronic crossover and DSP for the single powered woofer, works best with a sub. (best)

Yep, panel costs have gone up substantially in recent years. Especially for the less common large panels like CLS, Monolith and Prodigy.

If you want to step up from an SL3, a couple of options I'd suggest are:

Used:

Spire - the Summit panel with a non-powered woofer. Good crossover, works best if you have a sub (which you do) (good)

New:

Theos - The SL3-class next-gen panel with a very good DSP-driven powered woofer. Requires a sub, but a huge leap over the SL3, (better)

Montis - The Summit panel with a great electronic crossover and DSP for the single powered woofer, works best with a sub. (best)

Thanks for the input.
I am intrigued on the siz by the panel size of the CLS and it being a full range. I think these will give me a better ability to properly match it to my bag-end.

Here is the question…
Would you consider the models you have mentioned to be better than the CLS II on sound details and soundstage?

Last edited:
Jonathan,

Just so you know the Spire DOES HAVE a powered woofer, the Montis is basically the same speaker albeit with an updated crossover.

Jonathan,

Just so you know the Spire DOES HAVE a powered woofer, the Montis is basically the same speaker albeit with an updated crossover.

Thanks Dave, a bit of a brain fart here. 7am = one cup of coffee, so only trust posts after then ;)

it's hell growing old isn't !!

Thanks for the input....
Still I would like to hear from someone who has an experience in building a new frame for the CLS, and whether all I would need to build my own CLS is to get just the panels and the electronics, and them mount them to a custom frame. What are the challenges?

Also, I would still like to know if the models mentioned above are better than the old CLS in terms of details rendering and soundstage.

Thanks

I'd shop for a pre-built pair of CLS. Old panels can still be fine at this point - there's no specific reason they should not be. new panels from ML are ridiculously overpriced, IMNSHO.

I've had several pairs of MLs. Nothing in the list above is better than the CLS as far as imaging, overall sound, etc. They may better it on low bass of course but you can integrate your own subwoofer solution to the CLS.

Good luck with the quest.

-Ed

Thanks for the input....
Still I would like to hear from someone who has an experience in building a new frame for the CLS, and whether all I would need to build my own CLS is to get just the panels and the electronics, and them mount them to a custom frame. What are the challenges?

Also, I would still like to know if the models mentioned above are better than the old CLS in terms of details rendering and soundstage.

Thanks

I'd shop for a pre-built pair of CLS. Old panels can still be fine at this point - there's no specific reason they should not be. new panels from ML are ridiculously overpriced, IMNSHO.

I've had several pairs of MLs. Nothing in the list above is better than the CLS as far as imaging, overall sound, etc. They may better it on low bass of course but you can integrate your own subwoofer solution to the CLS.

Good luck with the quest.

-Ed

Thanks for the input. I am now convinced on the CLS upgrade path.
The other challenge I will face is getting the elctronics that work on a 220v /50 Hz power. Without this specs the stats will not stay charged. I was told by ML customer service that they do not have the 50Hz modules anymore, but they could convert it from 120v/60HZ to 220v/50Hz at the cost of $100. Not bad, but the logistics of buying the CLS and separate the electronics, send them to ML, then back to Tanzania will be too complicated. The other option is to by a set of CLS from Europe where 50Hz is the standard...

Anyone knows a reputable dealer in EU?

On the CLS I it's just a mains transformer change. You need about 30VA with 230V secondary and as far as I know the trfs are available from original manufacturer ("MTC" I think?). I can give you the details tomorrow. It's easy to replace it by yourself

I can't recall if the IIa is the same but IIz has some sort of special module instead.

Corrections:
I checked the transformer on my CLS (I). It's a "MCI" 4-05-1230 and still listed on "MCI" website. http://mcitransformer.com/transformers/pc-mount-transformers/mci-4-05-series/
These transformers are spilt primary - compatible with 110/220VAC. For 110V primaries are tied in parallel, for 220V in series.

From the web-photos of CLS-II (a, z) interfaces, it appears they also use a simple transformer, rectification and cap-diode ladder voltage multipler, not a high DC voltage SMPS as I thought. I can't see the make/model from the photos but chances are that these transformers would also be 110/220. Even if not, it's a simple DIY job replacing them so you should not worry about which AC market you get the speakers from.

Last edited:
Corrections:
I checked the transformer on my CLS (I). It's a "MCI" 4-05-1230 and still listed on "MCI" website. http://mcitransformer.com/transformers/pc-mount-transformers/mci-4-05-series/
These transformers are spilt primary - compatible with 110/220VAC. For 110V primaries are tied in parallel, for 220V in series.

From the web-photos of CLS-II (a, z) interfaces, it appears they also use a simple transformer, rectification and cap-diode ladder voltage multipler, not a high DC voltage SMPS as I thought. I can't see the make/model from the photos but chances are that these transformers would also be 110/220. Even if not, it's a simple DIY job replacing them so you should not worry about which AC market you get the speakers from.

Thank you much for the details...
I am still concerned with the frequency differences. You see, with my SL3, I initially used a step-down converter to take care of the voltage issue. The speakers would fire up then shutdown in about 10 seconds, similar to when they go to sleep mode when there is no audio signal. It looked like the sleep mode timer was based on 60hz and my 50hz was confusing the timer. As you know, the step-down converter does not
change the frequency. So I was feeding 120v but with a 50hz, and not 120/60 as in the US mains.
I replaced the modules with the 220v/50hz and everything was fine.

Now, I am not sure if the CLS have similar timer, but if they do then chances are the 50hz power will put them to sleep in 10 seconds as well. The solution would be to change the timer circuit or getting ride of it completely…

What is your take on this?

Last edited:
Sorry mate, no idea about how the AC fq would affect these interfaces. Unfortunately I don't have the PSU schematics for any of the CLS, only the crossover diagrams. No knowledge about the "sleep timer".
But, in case there is one and even if it is driven by AC clock, I cannot imagine why would it go to sleep if there is signal on inputs?

I have noticed from Internet pics that the input voltage for the US model CLS is labeled 110v 50~60hz. Such is not the case with my SL3, which are labeled as 110v, 60hz input, and could not deal with the 50hz untill I replaced modules (as per Jim Power).

If the CLS's power input is 110v 50~60hz, then I can get away with using a step-down converter, as the frequency difference will be a nonissue.
Can someone please confirm that the CLS power input is indeed 110v, 50~60hz?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back