Dedicated CD Player

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the link provided by Bonzo.

Seems like there's the potential that server based music can still be improved from a sonic perspective.

Is this true?

What does the current Windows software (server 2012) do that previous version (Vista) did not?

What does the "audiophile optimizer" do? Latency and lower CPU activity means nothing to me.

I read this stuff and it reinforces why I have not dipped my toes into this technology.

Gordon,

See my post above - I don't believe (my opinion) that you need to make it that complex.

You don't need to worry about latency and CPU utilisation. It won't reduce the "fuzz" around the music any more than optimising the PC you are writing your response on will reduce the "fuzz" I see around the characters you write.

Your computer is absolutely capable of sending 100% bit perfect data across to the other side of the world so I can read it on my computer. I can assure you, there are no mistakes, no letters out of order, no pixels in the wrong spot. It is 100% perfect.

Your computer does not discriminate whether the data it is dealing with represents words in the English language or a musical waveform. You could attach a FLAC file and I will also receive that 100% accurately.

All you need is a computer to act as a repository for the data. Leave the music and audiophile side of things to a self-contained audiophile device such as a Linn DS, Naim network player, Squeezebox, Sonos, etc.

All the computer will do is hand the data to your player for clocking and conversion.

As long as it is capable of doing that in the correct order, fast enough for seamless play (and what computer isn't capable of that?) then you will have nothing further to do on the computer end.

All you have to do is "use" your music streaming device - which is as easy (if not easier) than using a CD Player or preamplifier.

Last edited:
I read the link provided by Bonzo.

Seems like there's the potential that server based music can still be improved from a sonic perspective.

Is this true?

What does the current Windows software (server 2012) do that previous version (Vista) did not?

What does the "audiophile optimizer" do? Latency and lower CPU activity means nothing to me.

I read this stuff and it reinforces why I have not dipped my toes into this technology.

Hi GG, tbh, it is not required you understand this to get into computer audio. Kind of like one doesn't need to appreciate the details of THD, feedback, impedances to get into amps. As long as you can listen to them and see if there is a positive difference you are willing to pay for, it should be fine.

If you get an Aurender x100, a CAPS win 12 with Audiophile optimizer, a CD player and a laptop with Audirvana Plus, you will be able to demo this quite easily. This is also much easier than amps to demo as everything is so portable, does not require warm up.

The user interface of an ipad or smartphone is easy and excellent. If you buy something like an aurender from a dealer, most likely he will come over and set it up for you as well, so you won't have to do anything except switch on and select the song. If you buy used, you might have to get a friend to help you with the initial set up if you find it daunting.

I think this way everyone will end up listening to more music, because you end up with the system playing non stop through a list, you don't feel too tired to search for a CD in your wall rack to put it in, songs you had forgotten are now at the touch of a button, and it just keeps playing. Downloads are much easier to get than CDs or vinyls. Plus, if you are not using room correction, you get the benefit of DSD, which if you have good DSD dac sounds great especially for classical.

But to go back to the original question, the premise is the computers can be made less noisy, synced better and their power can be improved on to improve SQ. Aurender, Optimiser, etc all attempt to do that in different ways.

You guys are starting to "tickle" my interest.

Thank you so much for the education.

Maybe the "Dino" will come around.

I buy CD's and copy to desktop hard drive. Whenever I add albums to hard drive I also copy to
Kingston 32 gb thumb drive. Most of the music I enjoy listening to is on this thumb drive.
I insert the thumb drive into my Marantz CD6004. And Voila! I lie on my bed with the player remote control and scroll through over 300 music albums. Continuous music for hours.

I have also read many good things about the Cambridge player. It is EISA award winner.

Have you given thought to Musical Fidelity separate CD transport and DAC. Some what more expensive but also very good from what I have read.

enjoy!

You guys are starting to "tickle" my interest.

Thank you so much for the education.

Maybe the "Dino" will come around.

If that's the case, I'd go and buy a cheap, used Squeezebox or Sonos. Connect it up to your stereo using the analogue outputs if you have no other option. Use your current computer as the server/control and load it up with a few CDs.

You can do that for not much more than $100. And see how you go using it for background music and non-critical music.

If you don't like it, you've lost not a lot.

But my guess is that you'll use it more and more - and before long you'll seek better sound out of the thing - as well as want ALL your CDs on there and a easy control system such as an iPad.

Then a strange thing will happen. More and more, it will become your primary music source, and next thing you'll know - it will totally change the way in which you use and view your music collection.

But if you don't - little loss.

Last edited:
A) If bits = bits and that's all that matters many companies are pulling the wool over thousands of consumers' eyes by providing high quality music servers/PCs and offering USB/SPDIF converters. If it all sounds the same (bits are bits) why spend thousands of $ (other than a feature or three)? Answer - because they all sound different, some better some worse.

B) As someone said earlier on this thread, it's not just about the bits, it's about noise from the PC's power supply, DC-> DC converters, cheap components, shared rails etc, less fluid/glitchy sounds from overactive CPU. To use the bits = bits argument is, to be frank ignorant. Google music server optimization for more details.

As far as your compare, I've already done it. And btw - even USB cables matter, I've tried 1/2 dozen - they all sound different. It's more than bit matching, it's about noise and, jitter.

A) If bits = bits and that's all that matters many companies are pulling the wool over thousands of consumers' eyes by providing high quality music servers/PCs and offering USB/SPDIF converters. If it all sounds the same (bits are bits) why spend thousands of $ (other than a feature or three)? Answer - because they all sound different, some better some worse.
Well, that's one possible answer. The other is that they don't, in fact, sound different, and spending thousands of dollars isn't necessary to obtain "perfect" audio.

B) As someone said earlier on this thread, it's not just about the bits, it's about noise from the PC's power supply, DC-> DC converters, cheap components, shared rails etc, less fluid/glitchy sounds from overactive CPU. To use the bits = bits argument is, to be frank ignorant. Google music server optimization for more details.
Any inexpensive USB converter will not only re-clock the signal, but galvanically isolate the Pre-pro/Preamp from the PC. No noise, inaudible jitter, problem solved.

Is it possible to configure a Mac/PC or server in such a way that it creates audible problems? I suspect it is possible, but proper configuration ain't rocket science and we shouldn't lead Gordon to believe that it is.

I guess my experience has been very different than your own - My Mac Mini + inexpensive USB converter + Monoprice USB cable sounds every bit as transparent as the $9K transport + DAC I used to own.

Well, that's one possible answer. The other is that they don't, in fact, sound different, and spending thousands of dollars isn't necessary to obtain "perfect" audio.

Any inexpensive USB converter will not only re-clock the signal, but galvanically isolate the Pre-pro/Preamp from the PC. No noise, inaudible jitter, problem solved.

So you are saying noise and jitter DO matter? So I guess Media servers DO sound different? You being contradictory to your own initial argument....

Is it possible to configure a Mac/PC or server in such a way that it creates audible problems? I suspect it is possible, but proper configuration ain't rocket science and we shouldn't lead Gordon to believe that it is.

Snippet from 1 of my posts yesterday: I do agree that it's not nearly as daunting as it may seem and you can get very good audio quality from your basic PC with a decent music app like JRiver or Foobar. And there's nothing like sitting back after a hard day's work, thumbing through thousands of songs and not having to get up to change the song!

I guess my experience has been very different than your own - My Mac Mini + inexpensive USB converter + Monoprice USB cable sounds every bit as transparent as the $9K transport + DAC I used to own.

Sounds like you got ripped when you bought your separates! :cool:

'Tis a pity you're not in the SoCal area. You could come by and hear how lousy my system sounds.:p

proper configuration ain't rocket science and we shouldn't lead Gordon to believe that it is.

We aren't doing that. We are asking him to compare his laptop and CD player to an aurender and a win12server with an optimiser. He can decide if it does sound different, and if worth the upgrade.

'Tis a pity you're not in the SoCal area. You could come by and hear how lousy my system sounds.:p

I would like to come over and hear it sometime. Looks like you have a very nice setup. Emerald Physics are very nice sounding speakers. You are welcome over anytime with or without a computer and cables! :D

You are welcome over anytime with or without a computer and cables! :D
“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”
Philip Sheridan

Used to be in Dallas often, when I was a working stiff.

A) If bits = bits and that's all that matters many companies are pulling the wool over thousands of consumers' eyes by providing

Yep - there are many companies pulling wool over consumers' eyes. But it's not just related to computer audio - every corner of audio has it's share of snake oil.

Remember when green pens made a "night and day difference that you could instantly detect, every time"? What about GSICs, magic dots, shakti rocks. The list goes on.

So I certainly hope you're using green pens on your source discs too - or else you're wasting all your money on Server Optimiser Pro or whatever it is.

high quality music servers/PCs and offering USB/SPDIF converters. If it all sounds the same (bits are bits) why spend thousands of $ (other than a feature or three)? Answer - because they all sound different, some better some worse.

STOP RIGHT THERE.

You're going way off track here.

Firstly - do you understand the difference between:

a) Bits of data forming the music "file".
b) The requirement to clock that data prior to conversion
c) The conversion process

It's fine if you don't, but you need to do some research.

You've got no argument from me on B) and C). Converters and data clocks all sound differnet. Because of jitter and many other factors.

They sound different because, in this case, it is NOT "just bits" - it is accurately timed and synced bits, in the correct order.

That is very different to what computers deal with. Computers deal with just A).

If you call yourself an audiophile and you've got your computer dealing with B) and C) then you are not an audiophile, no matter how much you try to optimise things (and yes, optimisation may make a difference in this case).

An SPDIF converter is essentially a clock - it takes the computer data and clocks it into the timed S/PDIF format. If the SPDIF converter contains a better, more accurate clock than the USB interface of your DAC then yes - it will sound better. But there's many other factors there also - none of which involve the computer's ability to deliver the data. We all know what jitter is and we all know it affects sound quality. It's just that jitter doesn't exist in unclocked data.

If (like in the example that you gave to Gordon above where you suggested the Aurender X100), you are using your computer as a data repository to pass bits to an audiophile clocking and conversion device, then there can be no difference in any component prior to the clock - so long as the computer is configured to deliver bit-perfect audio (not butchered by EQ or truncation) and the computer can do it fast enough for seamless playback (ie. any computer produced in the last 15 years).

Again - why?

Don't just say fancy words - explain why these things have an impact on the sound of your music.

What does the DC->DC converter do to your music?

Has the DC>DC converter or shared rails affected the accuracy of your typing that I am quoting?

If not, why do you think your computer is magically accurate when dealing with text, but inaccurate when dealing with FLAC files (or whatever)?

Let's break it down: The converter (DAC) has an impact on sound quality because it is making the analogue waveform that you are listening to.

Moving back along the chain, we know the clock has an impact on sound quality too - because if the signal (digital bits at this stage) are not timed properly then this impacts on the converter's ability to convert accurately.

But the DC->DC converter or shared rails? How does this impact on the data that the converter sees? How? As I said prior - if you don't believe me, checksum the output of different computers.

As far as your compare, I've already done it.

And what was the result of your checksum? Identical? No difference?

It's more than bit matching, it's about noise

What is "noise" when talking about digital data? What is a bit mismatch? How does it manifest? How does it affect your music? How does it affect digital data that the computer is passing to the converter?

Is all that "noise" and bit-mismatches affecting the accuracy of your banking records too?

If so, I damn well hope my bank is using $2,000 Audioquest USB cables to enter my data!

I wouldn't want a bit-mismatch or some extraneous CPU activity making my $1,000 deposit turn into $100.

You still haven't said - what does all this do? How does this make the music sound worse or better?

To use the bits = bits argument is, to be frank ignorant.

Me ignorant? Sorry - It's the reverse. Think about what you're saying.

You are saying that the output of a computer will vary depending on the CPU load.

You are saying that the output of a computer will vary depending on what type of USB cable is connected to it.

You are saying that the output of a computer will vary depending on type of power supply.

That is profound!

If you really think computers are not fit for the purpose of mainipulating data - if you think data output from computers can vary depending on "overactive CPUs", "shared rails" or "DC converters" then that's unthinkable.

It is more than a profound statement. It has far-reaching consequences for our entire economy, safety and sheer existence. Banking details would be incorrect. Planes would be crashing because of an overactive CPU in the ATC centre. Nuclear reactors would be blowing up because someone used a cheap USB cable in the control systems. The stock market would crash because someone was running an extraneous process somewhere and didn't optimise the system.

That is quite frankly ridiculous.

While the notion of tweaking and optimisation carries over from the vinyl and analogue days, it doesn't apply to computers. Some audiophiles obviously let old habits die hard. Computers just doesn't work that way.

And btw - even USB cables matter, I've tried 1/2 dozen - they all sound different.

Easy then. As I said before, checksum two identical files that have been transferred over the different USB cables. That will unequivocally tell you whether they alter the data going through them. But geez - I really do hope my bank is using expensive USB cables - I wouldn't want my accounts messed up.

and, jitter.

As above (one more time), it has nothing at all to do with jitter!! Jitter does not exist before the 44,100 kHz conversion clock. Unless the bits sit on your hard disk jittering away magically.

Keep the clock outside of; and independent of; the computer, and the computer will be jitter-free no matter how you configure it (by definition).

Last edited:
Hi Adam,

This is one of the reasons for differences in SQ. To sum up the post, USB cables are not of the same impedance, and Win 8 has 12% more data errors than OSX. "So, If you want your computer sourced digital audio system to sound it's best, find a cable manufacturer that will guarantee his cable's impedance at 90 Ohms* and that his cable can pass, ideally, a 2.6 GHz, or at least a 0.5 GHz perfect square wave (seems like a pretty high frequency to me), and that your music server runs OSX rather than Windows. "

As you scroll down you will find that a lot of engineers disagree with each other

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ers-and-electronic-devices-cable-sound-20814/

Hi Adam,

This is one of the reasons for differences in SQ. To sum up the post, USB cables are not of the same impedance, and Win 8 has 12% more data errors than OSX. "So, If you want your computer sourced digital audio system to sound it's best, find a cable manufacturer that will guarantee his cable's impedance at 90 Ohms* and that his cable can pass, ideally, a 2.6 GHz, or at least a 0.5 GHz perfect square wave (seems like a pretty high frequency to me), and that your music server runs OSX rather than Windows. "

As you scroll down you will find that a lot of engineers disagree with each other

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ers-and-electronic-devices-cable-sound-20814/

12% more errors?

That is a profound statement, and factually incorrect.

If Windows was that inherently flawed, we'd all be dead.

Computers are used every day (Windows / OSX / UNIX / everytihing) for purposes that require far more precision than playing music in your lounge room.

Sure, we want our music to play with precision, but it's hardly life and death.

If the control system of a nuclear reactor was generating any errors at all (let alone 12%) then there would be far-reaching consequences for our sheer existence. Similarly with our financial systems, ATC - and even our ability to sanitise and pump fresh water!

In the thread you posted, yes - there is a lot of healthy debate. And there is nothing wrong with that.

But in the end the error rate (for both the operating system and the USB cables) it is easily proven with a checksum.

I would still like to hear about any difference in the result when comparing USB cables - sb6?

Interestingly, post #275 (assumably a fellow ESL owner)

appears to have conducted far more comprehensive tests than I have, and his results are consistent with mine.

One can check this out for themselves. I have run 30 minutes worth of digital audio at various sample rates, with various inexpensive cables, and other activities on the USB feeding a USB to SPDIF converter which gets sent to other equipment that can record the SPDIF digital result. Done with 3 different pieces of equipment on the receiving SPDIF end. Hours of these files have returned results that were check summed bit perfect, and which when dumped into editing software cancelled out perfectly with the original file.

I don't doubt for one second that you can configure a computer to deliver pretty terrible sound. Set up EQs and compressors, or use a truncating volume control to name a few obvious examples.

But you would have to try. Fortunately, there are bog-basic streaming devices to assist you with the delivery of bit-perfect audio so in reality, very little knowledge is required to obtain optimal sound.

Last edited:
Back