Theos or Used Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
Just had a chance to listen to the Theos and was impressed. I also heard the Montis and they actually sounded worse due to the small room. I would have liked to listen to the Ethos but they did not have them. Has anyone compared the Theos to the Vantage? These would be comparable cost wise.

Just had a chance to listen to the Theos and was impressed. I also heard the Montis and they actually sounded worse due to the small room. I would have liked to listen to the Ethos but they did not have them. Has anyone compared the Theos to the Vantage? These would be comparable cost wise.

I am no expert in Martin Logan, but I do have a few comments on this topic.

1. Used ESL is a problem. They tend to me damaged in transport, and they do not age to well. In this regard I believe that ML is better than Quad (I have had some issues with my Quad ESL 63 for instance). If you purchase used loudspeakers, just ale sure they are used well - and be prepared to some repair costs (and calendar time to get them repaired - I waited 7 months to get new panels to my Quads...)

2. ML has become an alternative to the real ESL players the last 10 years or so. In my opinion, ML was very far behind the leaders in the 90ties. The ML back then was horrible compared to other ESL - (but they always looked better..) The hybrid solution did not work very good - and there are even trade in the current models compared to full range ESL.

Hence, be very careful which used ML you purchase due to model and how well they are used.

I recall quite a few posts regarding the 1st generation amplification in the Vantage; not too much positive, but I may be wrong. If you're comparing equally priced models, I think New Theos to used Ethos is a better set of options.

My personal experience with used ML Vantages has been great. I bought them in 2009 from the original owner (who bought them in early 2007). No problems with the internal amps or the ESL panels. I use them daily.
Of course, as with buying anything used, YMMV...

I am not really worried about used, most of my audio purchases have been used, basically is the older Vantage with the powered woofer on par, better or worse than the passive Theos??

My personal experience with used ML Vantages has been great. I bought them in 2009 from the original owner (who bought them in early 2007). No problems with the internal amps or the ESL panels. I use them daily.
Of course, as with buying anything used, YMMV...

Well there you go :)

I have a åair of Vantage, and would not trade them fot Theos. The powered woofer with bass control makes all the difference.

I have a åair of Vantage, and would not trade them fot Theos. The powered woofer with bass control makes all the difference.

That is really the question. Used Vantages go for around $2500, used Theos about the same. Ethos jump up to $4500 or New Theos around 5k. The Vantage seem like the best choice but I have not compared the newest panel in the Theos directly to the older Vantage.

The newer generation Ethos are supposed to have better integration between the cone woofer and the ESL panel than older generation MLs, which would make for a better sounding speaker. Better integration in their hybrids is one of the constant quests for ML.

I can't say if the Ethos would sound better that the Vantage to you, but as a general philosophy, I have found that it is better to spend the extra bucks to get a greater improvement in sound. The money saved isn't much comfort if you are not really jazzed by the improvement in sound resulting from an upgrade.

Also, you might be able to find someone who has a pair of Vantages near where you live who would let you come over and have a listen.

Last edited:
The most obvious difference between the Ethos and Vantage is the different enclosure designs. The Vantage uses a bass reflex (ported) enclosure, and crosses over at 400 hz. The Ethos uses a sealed enclosure that incorporates a passive radiator, and crosses over at 375 hz.

It's a tough decision. If you can afford it, I don't think I would be out of line recommending a used pair of the Ethos speakers. If not that, your decision is between the Vantage and the Theos. The Vantage bottom end is powered, the Theos is not. If your amplification is well sorted out, IMHO, your best option is the Theos with its' larger (than the Vantage) Panel. If you Bi-Amped the Theos, I think you'd be one happy camper.

Hola. Also, instead having a +-10dB at 35Hz on the Vantage, the Ethos is at +-10dB at 100Hz. This 100Hz control is better than the Vantage, because you really can adjust the bass intensity level of your liking at your seating position. For me, this feature is outstanding! Also the Ethos stat panel is a little bit bigger...both are very good models. I will choose the Ethos definitively. It is one of the best ML models so far. Happy listening!

Hola. Also, instead having a +-10dB at 35Hz on the Vantage, the Ethos is at +-10dB at 100Hz. This 100Hz control is better than the Vantage, because you really can adjust the bass intensity level of your liking at your seating position. For me, this feature is outstanding! Also the Ethos stat panel is a little bit bigger...both are very good models. I will choose the Ethos definitively. It is one of the best ML models so far. Happy listening!

I was not aware of that difference. Good to know. Is the 35hz adjustment the same concept but just for lower bass? I think the Ethos is the clear winner but obviously the most expensive. The Theos vs Vantage seems a closer call. I was leaning towards the Vantage since it is made in North America and has the powered bass. I would think that would be more significant than the slightly larger Theos panel.

Just to make sure, we are talking about 2 different ML speakers. The Theos does not have a powered woofer but is the same size as the Ethos. The Ethos does have a powered woofer that is supposed to allow better integration of the different drivers. I have not had the chance to compare the 2 speakers.

One other consideration is that I have read that 10 years is the approximate lifespan of the mylar panels. Someone who is more knowledgeable can refute or confirm that. Individual situations such as regular cleaning, temperature fluctuations, amount of hard use, etc. will affect the lifespan, of course.

Last edited:
Hola. I think that the Vantage is the way to go vs Theos. I do believe that having a self powered woofer makes the most important feature, even having a smaller stat panel. You have to dedicate more time with the Vantage model, to get the most of it. Sometimes, the 35Hz is not enough to deal with the standing waves at a particular room. With the Ethos, you can easier to do this. I could live with any of those and enjoy the wonderful magic sound of ML! Also the Theos is a wonderful well crafted and had made speaker! Happy listening!

Back