Is there a new product portfolio for ML around the corner?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redux

Reaction score
Hi,

I do not know if speculations are appropriate for this forum, but I'm hoping for forgiveness :)

I am considering to purchase brand new ML Theos or Ethos. However, I believe the quality of ML speakers gets better with each day that passes, and as far I can tell, the Ethos and Theos is in their end of their product life cycle. From what I understand, the Ethos are 4 years old by now, and its predecessor was released in 2005.Considering the brand new Neolith, they might have other news this year as well.

My question is anyone know if there are good reasons to wait for a few months. I can live with my old speakers for a while, but if the current product setup is likely to last for a few more years I might go for it now.

Regards,
Redux

Based on what they've shown and discussed so far, the Montis is still one of the their most sophisticated and high performing models and the Theos is just a smaller version of same. So I'd be very surprised if they did anything 'new' in that range of the lineup any time soon.

I believe we are more likely to see something in the Summit range in the coming years, as they could benefit from a DSP low-frequency crossover and driver management scheme like the Montis/Theos have.

If I were shopping in the price range of the Theos, I'd get it in a heart-beat.

I agree with JonFo. The Theos/Ethos are fairly new models, and they won't be changed for a while. I reckon the Summit X will be the first to be upgraded, but not for another 18 months or so.

Based on what they've shown and discussed so far, the Montis is still one of the their most sophisticated and high performing models and the Theos is just a smaller version of same. So I'd be very surprised if they did anything 'new' in that range of the lineup any time soon.

I believe we are more likely to see something in the Summit range in the coming years, as they could benefit from a DSP low-frequency crossover and driver management scheme like the Montis/Theos have.

If I were shopping in the price range of the Theos, I'd get it in a heart-beat.

Thank you!

Do you mean Theos AND Ethos, or is Ethos a part of the summit range?

Thank you!

Do you mean Theos AND Ethos, or is Ethos a part of the summit range?

Quite welcome.

The Montis and Theos share the same architecture : ESL + Powered lows + DSP crossover, just in different sizes.

The Ethos is different in that it is essentially a Theos minus the DSP crossover and powered woofer.

As noted by the others, the Summit is an older design without the DSP in the crossover for the woofers.

If I had $15K to spend on ML speakers, I'd skip the Summit, get a Montis (same panel as the Summit) and combine it with 2x 210 BalancedForce subs, since they have custom filters that match the Montis, then I'd run the PBK individually, then hook the whole thing up to a preamp with a good DRC (Trinnov, Dirac, Audyssey XT32).
With the placement flexibility of two subs, plus the huge benefits of PBK applied to each one individually, the idealized blend between subs and Montis thanks to custom filters, plus the benefits of the DSP-managed low end in the Montis, that system would slay a pair of Summits in so many ways it's not even funny.

So yes, they need to do something new in that price range.

Latest posts

Back