Trinnov

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
I have a few panel reviews coming up today. But meet a great dealer in Germany today, who also plays in a band, down to earth, and loads of experience. He also does the Trinnov. He told me that for dipoles you can't take it out of the box and use straight like for box speakers. It takes a lot of tweaking and canceling some presets because the trinnov tried to cancel the indirect wave which doesn't work and rooms the sound. So a lot of tweaking is required after which the effort is rewarding. I couldn't be sure of whether next point was lost in translation but he did say put the analog output of the dac into the Trinnov into the pre.

I guess Ken you must have done these tweaks? Btw, he did only believe on the Trinnov, which he said a lot of his clients use to solve problems. He also had the Stein harmonizers, the schumann resonators, the Franck Tchang zilplex like resonators, the shakti stone like creative systems stone, and small sticker like things costing 25 euro each places on each window to reduce something (probably emi, rfi coming from out), and something else on windows to reduce resonance.

More planar reviews coming up later. Today was a holiday in UK so went down to the dortmund, at the airport immigration they asked me why was I here, said to listen to speakers lol. Must have thought I was crazy

Kedar - you are crazy:ROFL:

Spent some time at the show listening to Trinnov. I didn't like the B&W speakers at all. However, Trinnov seemed to be being used as a general purpose flashy sound manipulator rather than a true R/C device. Could have some fun with it, no doubt.

DSC00889

More Trinnov at Munich.

Justin, since I have nothing to do at the airport I might as well profile you.

1. You haven't liked the RC's you have tried so far. Yet you bought the dirac paying a few 100 quid from germany and tried it out immediately only to be disappointed with it, and now take this trinnov positively
Yet someone dumps you a free zilplex at your place, you can't be bothered to demo it for 3 weeks, and can't be bothered to go to demo rooms in munich which do tweaks that will actually do wonders to your small room.

So if an approach seems scientific to you, despite that science having disappointed in the past, you will get excited about it, yet a new approach you haven't tried will not excite you because you perceive it to be foo.

So you are working on conclusions drawn before you try the product? Have you tried the zilplex yet?

....He told me that for dipoles you can't take it out of the box and use straight like for box speakers. It takes a lot of tweaking and canceling some presets because the trinnov tried to cancel the indirect wave which doesn't work and rooms the sound. So a lot of tweaking is required after which the effort is rewarding.
Kedar, it's difficult to respond to anecdotal information. I don't know the user's knowledge level, his room, his speakers, or how his setup sounds. Yes, there's an "early reflections" setting which selects the # of cycles used in the filter calculation. I've tried various settings with two sets of dipoles in my room and, in both cases, I've subjectively preferred the baseline setting of 3 cycles. Are there lots of features which the user can adjust? Yes, there are far more than for any other RC product. As a user, I see that as a terrific feature which permits me to obtain the best possible performance.

...Trinnov seemed to be being used as a general purpose flashy sound manipulator rather than a true R/C device.
How so? Were they using remapping to manipulate the sound field or ???

Some light reading on Trinnov's extensive capabilities if you're interested: http://www.tonmeister.de/vdt/webdow...e_elektronisch_korrigieren_Nuernberg_2011.pdf

Yes to Zilplex. No affect I could determine. And sticking all that stuff to the wall was a pain.

1) I didn't buy Dirac - I tried the demo. I bought a Umik mic, though. I thought Dirac was good - way, way beyond what Shun Mook discs can do. Massively more effective. Light years so. I don't use it anymore, though. I use JRiver PEQ which again is massively more effective than little blocks of wood.

2) Trinnov again is massively effective.

Mooks and Zilplex are, in my honest opinion, a complete, utter and total waste of money for me.

Enjoy them if you like them, Kedar. I don't. Don't take it personally, I just don't think either Zilplex or Mooks do anything useful AT ALL.

Not personally. I haven't tried the zilplex yet. Will after Dan

He has been selling the trinnov for 3 years
Kedar, you understand that that tells me nothing about his level of understanding. Regardless, he prefers what he prefers, as he should. If there's a point to be made, it's that Trinnov affords users a very comprehensive ability to tailor the correction. That's a good thing!

Impossible to tell, Ken. Just a chap flicking through presets using a handheld device reflected on a big screen. The difference in the profiles heard was quite marked. I wasn't curious enough to dig any deeper though I could have asked a few questions I suppose - the room was relatively empty.

Gotcha. Trinnov performs two very different functions:

1) SotA Room Correction and
2) Proprietary remapping of the soundfield in 2 or 3 dimensions

Each preset is fully configurable, so he could have been altering one or both of the above in each preset you heard.

Ken, the dealer is www.loftsound.de
Markus Kampschulte
tel.:+49 2932-5109570

He is quite happy to chat and very knowledgable about both music and hifi so you two might enjoy trading dipole trinnov ideas. He usually doesn't work mondays but try you should try later, you will enjoy chatting with him

From what I heard, definitely some spatial re-mapping going on. That seemed to work really quite well TBH.

From what I heard, definitely some spatial re-mapping going on. That seemed to work really quite well TBH.
Sherwood released an AVR a few years ago which incorporated a "light", DSP-based version of Trinnov, including remapping. Initially $2K, it flopped due to some Sherwood (i.e. not Trinnov) bugs. After the bugs got sorted and it hit closeout prices, a bunch of guys @ AVS "discovered" it and promptly dumped more exotic gear because they loved, loved, loved the cohesive soundfield due to remapping. It's become quite a cult, actually.

Meaning of RUR in Fatherland

Attachments

• 20140526_134745.jpg
    20140526_134745.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 63
RUR = Rossum's Universal Robots, the title of a play by Karel Capek.

It can't be obscure, because I know it.

Back