View Poll Results: How do you deliver Digital Content to your DAC?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • USB - PCM & DSD

12 32.43%
  • AES/EBU - PCM

5 13.51%
  • Coaxial S/PDIF -PCM

8 21.62%
  • Toslink S/PDIF - PCM

3 8.11%
  • What's a DAC?

2 5.41%
  • Other

7 18.92%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you deliver digital content to your DAC?

How do you like the Sony? Was looking at that and I like how it would not require me to have a server and the ability to plug in an additional hard drive to it is nice too... How does it sound??

Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!

Super User

I am not joking Tom but it sounds really good, infact I bought a ps audio DSD and I got rid of it. The PS audio was a great dac dont get me wrong but its super over hyped and can you blame some one for over hyping it when it costs that much lol. You can get them open box from onecall at only $1600 and the user interface is the best I have ever used via a tablet with the sony app.

DSD sounds very smooth but what sold me on it compared to the ps audio DSD was the way standard cd's sound. Its got this really laid back smooth transparent delivery that makes me wana listen all day.

Default How do you deliver digital content to your DAC?

I am interested in the Sony but don't like the fact that it has no digital outputs
    Last edited by TomDac; 01-18-2015 at 06:15 PM.
    Tom D'Acquisto
    CL

Super User

But why would you need digital outputs? Think on it like its a jukebox and think about the way you dont need to buy a usb cable, extra ac and an extra pair of ic's. Those savings alone make it worth the asking and its only $1600.

I like the way its just another component and when it goes in the rack its makes it look clean and clutter free.

Digital outputs would mean I can use an external DAC. Where'd you find it for only $1600?
    Tom D'Acquisto
    CL

Super User

Tom you should be able to find them on ebay no problem but look for the onecall add as they are very reliable and have great customer service.

i'm tempted to purchase it from Amazon so I can use their awesome return policy if I decide I don't like it. I'm concerned that after loading more than 20 thousand tracks, the interface will be slow. Sony doesn't guarantee it will work well after that. (they answered a question i posted on Amazon for the device).

I'll probably just keep on keepin on with my Squeezebox and outboard DAC until prices for hi res solutions come down and things stabilize. Of course, I have a good friend who just started working for Sony and he could get me a sweet discount on the HAP Z1ES... Haven't asked him yet, though.
    Tom D'Acquisto
    CL

Super User

I am planning to go with an UK version of the CAPS 3 Zuma, which has a Windows Server 2012 with a JCAT card and Audiophile Optimizer and HQ Player, linear power supply.

Hearing that the Sonore Signature Rendu with something called i2s is beating both the CAPS and the Aurender easy, but the benefit for me of getting a CAPS is I can keep upgrading software and add room correction software on it as well. Haven't tried any of these except an Aurender S10

Quote Originally Posted by TomDac View Post

I'll probably just keep on keepin on with my Squeezebox and outboard DAC until prices for hi res solutions come down and things stabilize. Of course, I have a good friend who just started working for Sony and he could get me a sweet discount on the HAP Z1ES... Haven't asked him yet, though.
    It's a shame, but still, there is absolutely nothing that even comes close to the Squeezebox in terms of overall functionality of a streaming device.

The Squeezebox was so far ahead of its time.

Sonos is the only option that comes remotely close, but with no high-res it's a deal-breaker.
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

Quote Originally Posted by amey01 View Post
    It's a shame, but still, there is absolutely nothing that even comes close to the Squeezebox in terms of overall functionality of a streaming device.

The Squeezebox was so far ahead of its time.

Sonos is the only option that comes remotely close, but with no high-res it's a deal-breaker.
    Well there is an option in the AURALiC Aries which can stream any current HiRez PCM or DSD bitstream (except multichannel), utilizes an on board femto clock for re locking, can stream wirelessly from your computer, or wired via an attached USB drive of your choice, or attached to your local network, has it's own IOS app etc. There's a lot of info about it over on Computer Audiophile, or of course on AURALiC's website. There are two versions, a base model at just around $1000 and a higher end version that adds an additional femto clock I believe and an upgraded power supply at about $1600. The only reason I don't have one yet is that I'm trying to cool my jets for a little while after laying out the dough for my dedicated room - but it's next on my list.

Sorry I didn't answer your question on this sooner Tom, I just saw that you were asking about it. So, yes, it is like a fancy version of a Squeezebox, but capable of higher resolution, and by all accounts, intended for true high end performance.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

All Music...All the time...Commercial Free...

If you want to see System 95 click here

Tim,
    I'm leaning towards upgrading my oppo 83 to an oppo 105, then getting a Auralic Aries and streaming thru the DAC in the 105, which is said to be really good. Kinda killing 2 birds with one stone: I have the ability to do hi res from my computer, upgrade my universal player... AND it means simplifying my setup by getting rid of my external DAC and Squeezebox, neither which do hi res.
    Last edited by TomDac; 01-23-2015 at 07:53 AM.
    Tom D'Acquisto
    CL

Super User

The oppo is a nice player, I would try get a ps audio mk2 used for 1k and then run high res through the squeeze for the same price.

Actually the oppo can play music files right from a usb hard drive plugged into the back. From what I read, the interface is a bit klugy, but it works. Might be a first step into hi res.

I didn't think the Squeeze (SB3) could do hi res - I thought only the SB Touch had that ability...
    Last edited by TomDac; 01-23-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    Tom D'Acquisto
    CL

WiFi from NAS (FLAC files) to a Raspberry Pi3 running HiFiBerry DAC PRO+

what NAS are you using as Im in the market now as I need one for my Krell Connect
    Martin Logan... Odyssey...Krell KSA 100s...Krell KRC3 Pre Amp...Krell Connect Media server/DAC
    My system here