How do you deliver digital content to your DAC?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you deliver Digital Content to your DAC?

• Total voters
Deliver digital files to DAC:
Buy audio CD.
Copy to Dell desktop hard drive.
Copy from hard drive to Kingston SE9 32Gb USB.
Attach USB to Marantz 6004 player ( transport and DAC ).
Press play and continuous music for hours. No trouble of selecting digital files, use remote.

No Bernard. I'm willing to try further isolation, but my current understanding is that noise and such travels on the power supply side of the USB and that is where the problems can come from. Since the Ayre isolates the power coming in and uses its own power, any noise that would have come into the DAC is eliminated. I do understand the many benefits of superior isolation, though. Right now, as I'm listening to Art Blakely Jazz Messengers "Caravan" on 45rpm on my analog rig, it's hard to get worked up about digital. This is so dynamic and real sounding! This turntable is mind blowingly good! On the downside though, it took a lot of playing with setup to achieve this realism, but then again, digital requires some setup, too.:rolleyes:
Steve, I agree completely; analog is more real-sounding....and my analog rig is considerably more modest than yours...VPI HW19 MK IV/VPI JMW Arm/Koetsu Rosewood.

Peace, anyone who disagrees!

PC with eSATA 2GB external HDD + JRiver MC19 -> Esoteric K-03 (expected to have it in about 2 weeks). Before that, had the Esoteric P-05/D-05. Vinyl is great if you enjoy sit ups/downs (sit up, put/take a record on/off your TT, sit down - repeat every 15 minutes throughout the night)! ;)

A good vinyl rig can sound great though, but so can a great digital, depends on your $...

PC with eSATA 2GB external HDD + JRiver MC19 -> Esoteric K-03 (expected to have it in about 2 weeks). Before that, had the Esoteric P-05/D-05. Vinyl is great if you enjoy sit ups/downs (sit up, put/take a record on/off your TT, sit down - repeat every 15 minutes throughout the night)! ;)

A good vinyl rig can sound great though, but so can a great digital, depends on your $...
Supposedly, sitting too long is bad for your health.

Depends on the digits!

Redbook is SPDIF to Tadac Dac from a Sony CD/SACD player
DSD is over USB from a Toshiba laptop to a Schiit Loki

Since I started the poll I should include my own setup. Currently running Pure Music on my 2013 Mac Mini which sits on the Mojo Atomic Platform. Files are stored on an external 3TB drive, software on the Mini runs off a SSD. USB to the AURALiC Vega DAC for both PCM and DSD. I also have a Sonos box feeding the Vega via Coax, but frankly, since I started getting into Hi-Rez, the Sonos typically only sees duty when we're running music through the whole house like for a party or something, i.e. just for background music. I don't currently use any sort of CD/SACD player for the main system - everything either gets ripped as soon as I buy it, or is downloaded (Hi-Rez only). The Mini is my only source component for another 8-10 weeks while my dedicated room is finished after which I'll finally be able to add my vinyl rig back into the system.

Soon I will be adding the AURALiC Aries streamer which will further isolate (or more correctly remove) the computer from the music signal path. Delivery to the DAC from the Aries will still be USB.

Last edited:
Since I started the poll I should include my own setup. Currently running Pure Music on my 2013 Mac Mini which sits on the Mojo Atomic Platform. Files are stored on an external 3TB drive, software on the Mini runs off a SSD. USB to the AURALiC Vega DAC for both PCM and DSD. I also have a Sonos box feeding the Vega via Coax, but frankly, since I started getting into Hi-Rez, the Sonos typically only sees duty when we're running music through the whole house like for a party or something, i.e. just for background music. I don't currently use any sort of CD/SACD player for the main system - everything either gets ripped as soon as I buy it, or is downloaded (Hi-Rez only). The Mini is my only source component for another 8-10 weeks while my dedicated room is finished after which I'll finally be able to add my vinyl rig back into the system.

Soon I will be adding the AURALiC Aries streamer which will further isolate (or more correctly remove) the computer from the music signal path. Delivery to the DAC from the Aries will still be USB.

I'd be very interested to hear how the Auralic streamer compares to the computer. Also, I'm curious why you would connect the streamer to the DAC via USB, doesn't the Audiolab accomodate SPDIF?

I'd be very interested to hear how the Auralic streamer compares to the computer. Also, I'm curious why you would connect the streamer to the DAC via USB, doesn't the Audiolab accomodate SPDIF?

Initial feedback on the Aries has been very favorable. I listened to it at RMAF and thought it sounded great, even under show conditions.

I don't have an Audiolab anymore, I replaced it with the AURALIC Vega about 6 months ago. I use USB because SPDIF is limited to 24/192 whereas the Asynchronous USB goes up to 32/384 PCM as well as DSD64 and DSD128.

Hey Tim. Seems like the Aries is just a real fancy version of the Squeezebox, no? I'd love to hear more about it.

Last edited:
I use the Musical Fidelity M1 clic connected to the wyred 4 sound or ps audio with a ww platinum usb via my laptop. For the main system though I use the all in one sony hap z1es as its got the hard drive and Dac inside it.

How do you like the Sony? Was looking at that and I like how it would not require me to have a server and the ability to plug in an additional hard drive to it is nice too... How does it sound??

I am not joking Tom but it sounds really good, infact I bought a ps audio DSD and I got rid of it. The PS audio was a great dac dont get me wrong but its super over hyped and can you blame some one for over hyping it when it costs that much lol. You can get them open box from onecall at only $1600 and the user interface is the best I have ever used via a tablet with the sony app.

DSD sounds very smooth but what sold me on it compared to the ps audio DSD was the way standard cd's sound. Its got this really laid back smooth transparent delivery that makes me wana listen all day.

But why would you need digital outputs? Think on it like its a jukebox and think about the way you dont need to buy a usb cable, extra ac and an extra pair of ic's. Those savings alone make it worth the asking and its only $1600.

I like the way its just another component and when it goes in the rack its makes it look clean and clutter free.

Tom you should be able to find them on ebay no problem but look for the onecall add as they are very reliable and have great customer service.

i'm tempted to purchase it from Amazon so I can use their awesome return policy if I decide I don't like it. I'm concerned that after loading more than 20 thousand tracks, the interface will be slow. Sony doesn't guarantee it will work well after that. (they answered a question i posted on Amazon for the device).

I'll probably just keep on keepin on with my Squeezebox and outboard DAC until prices for hi res solutions come down and things stabilize. Of course, I have a good friend who just started working for Sony and he could get me a sweet discount on the HAP Z1ES... Haven't asked him yet, though.

I am planning to go with an UK version of the CAPS 3 Zuma, which has a Windows Server 2012 with a JCAT card and Audiophile Optimizer and HQ Player, linear power supply.

Hearing that the Sonore Signature Rendu with something called i2s is beating both the CAPS and the Aurender easy, but the benefit for me of getting a CAPS is I can keep upgrading software and add room correction software on it as well. Haven't tried any of these except an Aurender S10

I'll probably just keep on keepin on with my Squeezebox and outboard DAC until prices for hi res solutions come down and things stabilize. Of course, I have a good friend who just started working for Sony and he could get me a sweet discount on the HAP Z1ES... Haven't asked him yet, though.

It's a shame, but still, there is absolutely nothing that even comes close to the Squeezebox in terms of overall functionality of a streaming device.

The Squeezebox was so far ahead of its time.

Sonos is the only option that comes remotely close, but with no high-res it's a deal-breaker.

It's a shame, but still, there is absolutely nothing that even comes close to the Squeezebox in terms of overall functionality of a streaming device.

The Squeezebox was so far ahead of its time.

Sonos is the only option that comes remotely close, but with no high-res it's a deal-breaker.

Well there is an option in the AURALiC Aries which can stream any current HiRez PCM or DSD bitstream (except multichannel), utilizes an on board femto clock for re locking, can stream wirelessly from your computer, or wired via an attached USB drive of your choice, or attached to your local network, has it's own IOS app etc. There's a lot of info about it over on Computer Audiophile, or of course on AURALiC's website. There are two versions, a base model at just around $1000 and a higher end version that adds an additional femto clock I believe and an upgraded power supply at about $1600. The only reason I don't have one yet is that I'm trying to cool my jets for a little while after laying out the dough for my dedicated room - but it's next on my list.

Sorry I didn't answer your question on this sooner Tom, I just saw that you were asking about it. So, yes, it is like a fancy version of a Squeezebox, but capable of higher resolution, and by all accounts, intended for true high end performance.

Latest posts

Back