Neolith's offspring

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeronamo

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Been saving for two years to buy Montis speakers and now they introduce the Neolith (NICE, looks like a Prodigy on steroids) which means we may see some chips off the new block, I would hate to purchase such an expensive item that is going to be replaced within a short time, going on Martin Logan's past what do you think is coming in the near future.
Thanks Jerry

We could see some trickle down from this new model to the rest of the ESL line, but I doubt it will be this year. I seem to remember Peter saying there would be no replacements for the higher end ESL speakers this year. So the question is: how long are you willing to wait? Also, keep in mind that ML's recent strategy seems to be to raise the price considerably with new models. So a replacement for the Montis could be a few grand more expensive.

I hope they don’t decide to remove the amps from the powered woofers. This would make the speakers harder to drive. As of now the Summit Xs and my pass xa160.5s are a perfect match but if I ever have to replace the Summits with unpowered woofer models I would have to bi-amp the speakers to achieve the same dynamics. I have a friend who have the xa160.5s and he has the Magico s5 speakers and his amps work much harder since they have to power the pair of 10” woofers on each of the Magicos.

I hope they don’t decide to remove the amps from the powered woofers. This would make the speakers harder to drive.

Well, with a commensurate reduction in price, I'd rather choose my own amplifiers.

You shouldn't have any problems with that Pass :)

I must say though - I've always been a bit perplexed as the bass section is not the "hard to drive" part of the speaker.

In theory, the ML active woofer can have an active xo for better cutoff slope or time delay tweaks.

In theory, the ML active woofer can have an active xo for better cutoff slope or time delay tweaks.
Sure, but you'd have to yank the passive Xover(s) to do this. Come resale time, you'd have to reverse the procedure as most buyers won't want active, even if they probably should.

Well, with a commensurate reduction in price, I'd rather choose my own amplifiers.

You shouldn't have any problems with that Pass :)

I must say though - I've always been a bit perplexed as the bass section is not the "hard to drive" part of the speaker.

Being a sealed design it makes it more difficult to drive compared to a ported box.

Don't hesitate on Montis Jeronamo.

I have had mine since December and just love them (replaced my Vista).

I see you are in South Florida also. Sound Advice usually will work good deals.

Mike

We could see some trickle down from this new model to the rest of the ESL line, but I doubt it will be this year. I seem to remember Peter saying there would be no replacements for the higher end ESL speakers this year. So the question is: how long are you willing to wait? Also, keep in mind that ML's recent strategy seems to be to raise the price considerably with new models. So a replacement for the Montis could be a few grand more expensive.

I certainly hope a significantly improved center is in the works. I have the stage now and it is fine but the center is the most important piece of my HT and it is far behind my fronts.

I certainly hope a significantly improved center is in the works. I have the stage now and it is fine but the center is the most important piece of my HT and it is far behind my fronts.

Agreed, a good center is key to high performance surround music and HT. See my SL3XC for a hint at what a great center is like.

I've been saying this for years, ML needs to offer an option to those willing to do an acoustically transparent screen setup. So here's my formula for that:

Architecture: Line array of mid-bass dynamic drivers flanking a Summit/Montis panel

This two-way design would leverage the Montis x-over, DSP and power sections, re-tuned for the new line-array. Target frequency response would be 60Hz-to 20K. A sub is assumed and required. A custom filter for the DualForce sub lineup would be created that integrates a sub placed directly below the center speaker.

ELS panel frame is a variation of the Montis Airframe but with lateral mounts to two structures on either vertical side.
The structures are ‘wings’ that follow the curve of the panel for 6 or so more inches to the side. The left structure holds the line array of mid-bass drivers, the right side is dimensioned identically but has no drivers, jut some absorption across it under a ‘sock’. It also contains the electronics for the system. The right side is there to balance the design out from a visual, weight and acoustic perspective.

I have tons more detail and some pencil sketches of this thing. Maybe I’ll do a full-boat write up on it if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Hello everyone
Been saving for two years to buy Montis speakers and now they introduce the Neolith (NICE, looks like a Prodigy on steroids) which means we may see some chips off the new block, I would hate to purchase such an expensive item that is going to be replaced within a short time, going on Martin Logan's past what do you think is coming in the near future.
Thanks Jerry
In economics there is the concept of the future value of money. Buy the speakers now if you have the money. An equivalent speaker will be more expensive in the future, ceteris paribus.

I would not be concerned with purchasing the Montis at this point. the Neolith's have been in R/D for 3-4 years, which is before the Montis even came out. I doubt ML would "sabotage" possible Montis sales by putting out "trickle down" speakers based on some of the Neolith design. The Monits is a VERY new speaker given how long higher end speaker models stay in production.

i have had mine for a year and a half, and am still stunned when I listen to them...coming from Maggie's for the last 30 years, it is great to have the airiness and imaging of a panel with the perfect blending of a great bottom end. Someone in this thread mentioned the Stage-x. I picked this up about 8 months ago, and the clarity and driving power of the center channel is just awesome with the ML transducer. It blends so well with the Montis. Just a fantastic match.

Thank you so much for your input, I still haven't pulled the trigger on the montis, expenses keep coming up. Thank Jerry.

I was considering to wait myself due to rumors/speculations about new models, but I bought new ones only 3 months ago. I was told that the Montis are relatively new. Actually they are slightly better than the current Summit X. Hence, probably the Summit X is likely to get a replacement before the Montis. My guess is new Montis model in 2016 if a new Summit X is released this year. That said, you may need to wait even longer. They just don't release new models if they are not considerable improved.

After several weeks with the Montis I have to recommend them for others. They are very clear, musical, 3D-like for music and movies - and although the bass isn't as integrated as in full panel speakers - the speakers are very dynamic and better for most usage than traditional electrostatic speakers. You also forget they are in the living room - despite their beauty. You just enjoy their music and sound - and right now I would not care if ML released new Montis tomorrow. These speakers are keepers until 2030+ or even longer or until I cannot repair them - or until armageddon. (buy the high gloss dark cherry edition - it is worth it because you are going to keep them for a while).

If I have to spend a lot of money on new gear just because - well, I guess I have to get another room to build 2nd setup.

That said, the new design, feel & look, is a very brave and modern like style. More affordable speakers with these colors and style may get some good feedback in the market.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back