Neolith debuts at Munich High End

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post, RUR. I love your ability to make your point with so few words. Why waste time arguing when you can just point directly to the source? Classic!

Sure they apply initial horizontal tension to take out the wrinkles and get the film to lay evenly over the clear spars. 1. But that horizontal tension goes away quickly after the panel is assembled.

It is theoretically impossible for a curved piece of material to have tension (in the direction of the curve), because unless there is an opposing force, that tension will straighten it out right away. When was the last time you saw a curved piece of string under tension?

You can easily check for yourself by taking a sheet of paper and bending it into a curve. This represents a 2x2" chunk of mylar film that is in the middle between two of the spars, i.e. not supported. Tug along the "straight" direction, and the shape doesn't change. Tug in the curved direction and it will straighten out right away.

IF there is any residual 2. horizontal tension, it will cause the film to bow / sag between the spars, as the horizontal and vertical tensions "fight" each other.

1. Since the panel construction method is identical in both horizontal and vertical way, how is it possible that tension is hold in other direction only?

2. But the "sag" between spars is clearly visible and somehow this is not enough to convince you for horizontal tension, what other cause can there be?

3. ...

and another video with a bit more detail. Panel assembly begins ~2:30

Can a moderator move ALL the posts regarding panel horizontal tension over to another thread so I can explain there instead?

Can a moderator move ALL the posts regarding panel horizontal tension over to another thread so I can explain there instead?

Explain what? That you were wrong, and that after watching the video you realized that tension is indeed applied to the Mylar in both the vertical and horizontal dimensions? You need a whole separate thread for that?

Funny I nearly posted that. Anyway, more Neolith videos will appear here. So keep checking back, put my hit count up and make me think it is all worthwhile:D

Not convinced another thread/spade is the best thing for Mr Bean bag or that the forum really wants a hole that size

Maybe. Perhaps he will learn a "valuable life lesson" that mechanical engineers and physicists should know.

Last edited:
Back