Connection question - Theos vs. Ethos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docalan

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase either a pair of Theos or Ethos. Is either a better choice to use with my McIntosh MC300 amp (300 w/channel). I ask have a ML Dynamo 700 sub- how would I connect the ML's properly with this?

Hola. If you use the Ethos, you won't need a sub, because the Ethos has self powered woofers and they go really deep for listening to the music. Also, the Ethos has a very good sensitivity. You do not need too much power to drive them nicely. If you are going to use them in a HT, then use the normal connection. On the other hand, the Theos model does needs a sub. The Dynamo has many possible ways for connection. If you are going to use them in stereo mode, if your preamplifier has two outputs, one L&R RCA cable goes to the input L & R of the sub, and the other output goes to the input of the McIntosch. If your preamp has only one output, you have to split the signal using two "Y" splitter connections. One RCA male, with two RCA female (two of these). Also, you could use the low frequency info from the speaker connection from the binding posts of your speakers, or from the amp. That would be a parallel connection, two wires from each connector to the biding posts of the woofer and to the speakers. Be careful with the polarity with this kind of connection. Do not worry about the impedance, because the McIntosch will not read the sub load. The sub impedance is very high, around 3000 ohms, so the amplifier will not read this load. For the amplifier, it is like open circuit, but for the sub, it gets all the bass info. Happy listening! (please excuse my poor English).

Last edited:
Theos vs Ethos

Hi docalan, Your Mac amp will provide plenty of power for either speaker. Some people feel that the Ethos has better integration between the panel and bass cone. That is the rationale for the higher price of the Ethos. That and the fact that the powered bass cone makes the Ethos easier for your amp to drive, but that's not really a consideration in your case. You've got plenty of amp.

Roberto knows much more about these speakers than I do, but there are people who feel that you should use a sub with either speaker. If you can audition them, that's the best way to determine if the higher price of the Ethos is worth any improvement in sound you hear.

Hola. When I said the Ethos do not need a sub is due to their superb low frequency response. Ordinary musical instruments, like bass, electric bass, including heavy musical notes from an organ, are reproduced nicely. Of course, if you are going to listen a very heavy low frequency content, a sub is a must. But these speakers are made for audiophiles, who believe in getting the clean, right size of the instrument at the stage, and not next to you. If you use too much bass energy from a bass, or from an organ, you can spoil the stage and the image. Now, if you want to have the ultimate sound and bass performance, you do need two subs...

You can expand the sense of deeper stage, using two subs, but you must listen carefully not to exaggerate the bass. If you have over bass energy, the musician playing it, will be next or in front of you, and the other musician(s) will be at the stage. Quality bass is better than quantity bass. Your ears will tell you easily.

Always, room acoustic treatment is a must too. But with the Ethos, for the low frequency and the standing waves that present in every room, you have a volume control at 100 Hz +- 10dB. This means that you can adjust the bass energy of your room with your ears... a very easy task to do. Just listen and if you feel, you perceive that you need more bass energy, just move the knob at the back of the Ethos, and adjust the quantity that you want...or if you have too much, you can lower that bass energy easily.

For an audiophile, the Ethos represent a new way of listening experience. They have the ability to provide superb dynamics and crystal clear highs! Cymbals and percussion instruments are reproduced with outstanding performance. Steady image and stage, and right with the harmonic texture that you can listen the player's bow of a violin dancing at the strings. The most delicate notes from a Spanish classic guitar, to the explosive big tympani drum, are reproduced lifelike. You can listen the 6 concertos for violin of Nicolo Paganini, played by Salvatore Accardo, where you will understand what I just said about the player's bow, and listening all these concertos without any ear fatigue. Now, getting back to the bass, you should listen to them with your music. Listen carefully if they pleased you in all aspects... do not listen the bass, listen the instrument that it is producing that bass, and the feeling of that musician. Do not listen to the mid-range. Listen how you perceive the instrument(s), and seek for the stage. How deep it is, and question yourself regarding the left and right of the stage. Are the musicians well understood? Do you find the chorus at the back and usually at the left or right at the stage? Do you have a steady voice at the center? It could be a little off the center too. The important thing is to have steady. When listening to an acoustic guitar, the strings are nylon or steel? All these nuances are revealed with the Ethos (and other models too) with an outstanding precision. This is why I like them so much! Happy listening.

Hola. When I said the Ethos do not need a sub is due to their superb low frequency response. Ordinary musical instruments, like bass, electric bass, including heavy musical notes from an organ, are reproduced nicely. Of course, if you are going to listen a very heavy low frequency content, a sub is a must. But these speakers are made for audiophiles, who believe in getting the clean, right size of the instrument at the stage, and not next to you. If you use too much bass energy from a bass, or from an organ, you can spoil the stage and the image. Now, if you want to have the ultimate sound and bass performance, you do need two subs...

You can expand the sense of deeper stage, using two subs, but you must listen carefully not to exaggerate the bass. If you have over bass energy, the musician playing it, will be next or in front of you, and the other musician(s) will be at the stage. Quality bass is better than quantity bass. Your ears will tell you easily.

Always, room acoustic treatment is a must too. But with the Ethos, for the low frequency and the standing waves that present in every room, you have a volume control at 100 Hz +- 10dB. This means that you can adjust the bass energy of your room with your ears... a very easy task to do. Just listen and if you feel, you perceive that you need more bass energy, just move the knob at the back of the Ethos, and adjust the quantity that you want...or if you have too much, you can lower that bass energy easily.

For an audiophile, the Ethos represent a new way of listening experience. They have the ability to provide superb dynamics and crystal clear highs! Cymbals and percussion instruments are reproduced with outstanding performance. Steady image and stage, and right with the harmonic texture that you can listen the player's bow of a violin dancing at the strings. The most delicate notes from a Spanish classic guitar, to the explosive big tympani drum, are reproduced lifelike. You can listen the 6 concertos for violin of Nicolo Paganini, played by Salvatore Accardo, where you will understand what I just said about the player's bow, and listening all these concertos without any ear fatigue. Now, getting back to the bass, you should listen to them with your music. Listen carefully if they pleased you in all aspects... do not listen the bass, listen the instrument that it is producing that bass, and the feeling of that musician. Do not listen to the mid-range. Listen how you perceive the instrument(s), and seek for the stage. How deep it is, and question yourself regarding the left and right of the stage. Are the musicians well understood? Do you find the chorus at the back and usually at the left or right at the stage? Do you have a steady voice at the center? It could be a little off the center too. The important thing is to have steady. When listening to an acoustic guitar, the strings are nylon or steel? All these nuances are revealed with the Ethos (and other models too) with an outstanding precision. This is why I like them so much! Happy listening.

Great comment and input.. Very useful for someone like me who just purchased Ethos and currently trying to buy a new set of Preamp + amp or integrated amp.

Cheers

Back