Transformers and power conditioners for 100v gear in 220v country

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo

Reaction score
As per previous post I am retiring and moving abroad. It is a major downsize; I am going from separate vintage, modern and HT to a single "all in one". Like most of us I have WAY too much gear so making a final decision (and giving up my beloved vinyl) was difficult but I got it done.

I want to go with a minimalist look but keep as much quality as I could,esp in 2 channel. For playback I purchased the Oppo 105 with all region capacity, my Puritys for mains and was able to find a new Feature on Fleabay. For rears the Paradigm 2A's look good and like the Puritys and Feature they have internal power amps. In a short "test drive" of the Puritys/Feature I was impressed with the bass: the new house is tile floors and stucco walls so I plan on doing a bit listening before decided what (if any) sub I will need.

In my rural Virginia farm house I need power conditioners to eliminate all the distortion. For all of my friends in 220 voltage locations what are you using for transformers/conditioners? Are there any issues that you can share with me regarding 110v equipment in a 220v grid?

Regards
Pablo

As per previous post I am retiring and moving abroad. It is a major downsize; I am going from separate vintage, modern and HT to a single "all in one". Like most of us I have WAY too much gear so making a final decision (and giving up my beloved vinyl) was difficult but I got it done.

I want to go with a minimalist look but keep as much quality as I could,esp in 2 channel. For playback I purchased the Oppo 105 with all region capacity, my Puritys for mains and was able to find a new Feature on Fleabay. For rears the Paradigm 2A's look good and like the Puritys and Feature they have internal power amps. In a short "test drive" of the Puritys/Feature I was impressed with the bass: the new house is tile floors and stucco walls so I plan on doing a bit listening before decided what (if any) sub I will need.

In my rural Virginia farm house I need power conditioners to eliminate all the distortion. For all of my friends in 220 voltage locations what are you using for transformers/conditioners? Are there any issues that you can share with me regarding 110v equipment in a 220v grid?

Regards
Pablo

In general should not post any problem. I brought back all my stereo's system back to my country where we are using 220v and its working well -- it goes both ways. Get a well made transformer, the Japanese made seems to do better compared to the Chinese made.

However, if you owned a Electrostatic Speakers, it can be a problem...

Cheers

Cheers

For all of my friends in 220 voltage locations what are you using for transformers/conditioners? Are there any issues that you can share with me regarding 110v equipment in a 220v grid?

I'm using 240v equipment :) Problem solved.

As Johnny said - it would usually be okay, but there can be problems. You need to understand how the appliance in question handles a different frequency as well. I know MLs for one do not work with different frequencies - plugging a 60Hz speaker into a 50Hz supply will yield nothing.

And you need to ensure enough current is available too.

Seriously, the best options are:
1. Buy 240v equipment
2. Buy a new power board/supply for your 120v equipment
3. Have the equipment modified by someone competent. Sometimes, changing from one voltage to another is as simple as changing a tap on the power supply.

All better options than stuffing around with transformers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back