Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: System #01 (Summit, Cinema)

Tim,

Great input. I am talking about the REF 1 "Ultimate". Is that the model you heard?

The Carmel is an outstanding transducer and I wish you many happy hours of listening.

One question. Do you need a sub for two channel? Sounds like they get into the high 30's.

Also, how's the off-axis response if you know?

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gray View Post
    Tim,

Great input. I am talking about the REF 1 "Ultimate". Is that the model you heard?

The Carmel is an outstanding transducer and I wish you many happy hours of listening.

One question. Do you need a sub for two channel? Sounds like they get into the high 30's.

Also, how's the off-axis response if you know?

Gordon
    Yes Gordon, same product. There is a new "Founders Edition" coming out that is basically the same palette as the LS-50; gloss black with the Bronze Rose color on the Uni-Q driver and woofer cone.

With both the Reference One as well as my Carmel's a sub isn't really required for normal listening, but if you are a fan of large scale symphonic works (the St. Saens Symphony No. 3 is one of my personal favorites), then the foundation provided by a good sub is noticible by omission. Listening to Brubec or Miles Davis you're not going to miss it.

Off axis response is great on both as well, perhaps a bit better on the Carmel's, but still not likely as good as what you get out of your mbl's. Music sounds very listenable off axis, and localization is still decent, but soundstage width and depth are certainly compromised outside of a centralized listening position.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

All Music...All the time...Commercial Free...

If you want to see System 95 click here

Quote Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
    I didn't get a chance to hear the ML Motion bookshelf model 35XT, which is their top of the line. Interesting how few reviews there are on this speaker and even less places to audition them... Once I heard the Kef R300s, it was game over.
    Maybe you can comment on this. I've read that a lot of folks prefer the R500 and R700 to the R900. Seemed crazy to me, but maybe there is something to it? I've also heard some people say they preferred Motion 40 to 60XT.

When I auditioned the Kef's, I heard the R700's as well and they were really outstanding, but since I was looking for a stand mount speaker, I didn't even consider them....
    Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!

Hey Tom,

Now that you've had the R300s for a while how do you feel about them, especially compared to your old Summits?

I'm in a similar boat. I purchased a pair of LS50s for surround duty (they are phenomenal) and apparently once you go KEF...

Hey Boris,
    I'm happy with the R300's... they are what I expected they would be. Not as revealing as the Summits and the soundstage isn't as well defined either, but I really haven't tried to get them dialed in, as we are prepping for the big move, which will be happening in a few months. Once we move to the new place, I'll get them dialed in better... They're really being used for HT duty mainly..
    Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!