System #01 (Summit, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't get a chance to hear the ML Motion bookshelf model 35XT, which is their top of the line. Interesting how few reviews there are on this speaker and even less places to audition them... Once I heard the Kef R300s, it was game over.

Can u go into detail why u feel u won't miss the summits after listening to Kefs ? What differences do u hear and like over the summits? Thanks

The only thing the Kefs don't do is have that open, airy sound... the rest of the sound is very similar to the Summits... And I haven't gotten them to completely disappear, yet. I've played my fave music on them and the same volume levels as I did with the Summits and they make my jaw drop.. Very detailed and neutral. No coloration at all.

The only thing the Kefs don't do is have that open, airy sound... the rest of the sound is very similar to the Summits... And I haven't gotten them to completely disappear, yet. I've played my fave music on them and the same volume levels as I did with the Summits and they make my jaw drop.. Very detailed and neutral. No coloration at all.

That is really something to have something that close to the summit sound at an unbelievable price difference! Thing have really changed on what they can do today compared to ten years ago! I'm listening to some older Snell book shelf speakers kllvs over 30 yrs old. They really sound good! Thanks

For me it makes me wonder how the KEF Reference floor standers sound. I imagine they are absolutely incredible.

Tom,

How's the "off axis" mid / top response?

And secondly, how does the REF 1 compare to the R300's if you know?

Also, do you feel you need a sub with the R300's?

Gordon

PS: I have heard the LS50's set up poorly and they were still incredible.

Last edited:
I didn't hear the REF 1.. Was afraid to because I figured I'd want them... I have the R400b sub and it's a good match.. Not sure I'd really need one for music, though.. It's nice for movies for sure.

Off axis response is better than ML's of course... sweet spot is big. These really are nice little speakers..

Tom,

How's the "off axis" mid / top response?

And secondly, how does the REF 1 compare to the R300's if you know?

Also, do you feel you need a sub with the R300's?

Gordon

PS: I have heard the LS50's set up poorly and they were still incredible.

Gordon, when I was on the hunt for new speakers the REF 1's were very intriguing to me. I was able to compare them with my then LS-50's as well as the R-300's. I preferred the LS-50's over the R-300's but I had spent a lot of time working with them in my room and dialing them in with my REL sub.

The REF 1's are in a completely different class and a huge step forward, much closer to the Blades than the LS-50's. Biggest on my list of pluses were an extraordinary amount of detail retrieval and clarity, something I'd always loved about my CLS's, but with the dynamics of a much larger cone based speaker. I'd have to say that this is probably their greatest strength.

If I hadn't come into an absolutely killer deal on my Carmel's I believe the REF 1's would have been my speaker of choice.

Tim,

Great input. I am talking about the REF 1 "Ultimate". Is that the model you heard?

The Carmel is an outstanding transducer and I wish you many happy hours of listening.

One question. Do you need a sub for two channel? Sounds like they get into the high 30's.

Also, how's the off-axis response if you know?

Gordon

Tim,

Great input. I am talking about the REF 1 "Ultimate". Is that the model you heard?

The Carmel is an outstanding transducer and I wish you many happy hours of listening.

One question. Do you need a sub for two channel? Sounds like they get into the high 30's.

Also, how's the off-axis response if you know?

Gordon

Yes Gordon, same product. There is a new "Founders Edition" coming out that is basically the same palette as the LS-50; gloss black with the Bronze Rose color on the Uni-Q driver and woofer cone.

With both the Reference One as well as my Carmel's a sub isn't really required for normal listening, but if you are a fan of large scale symphonic works (the St. Saens Symphony No. 3 is one of my personal favorites), then the foundation provided by a good sub is noticible by omission. Listening to Brubec or Miles Davis you're not going to miss it.

Off axis response is great on both as well, perhaps a bit better on the Carmel's, but still not likely as good as what you get out of your mbl's. Music sounds very listenable off axis, and localization is still decent, but soundstage width and depth are certainly compromised outside of a centralized listening position.

I didn't get a chance to hear the ML Motion bookshelf model 35XT, which is their top of the line. Interesting how few reviews there are on this speaker and even less places to audition them... Once I heard the Kef R300s, it was game over.

Maybe you can comment on this. I've read that a lot of folks prefer the R500 and R700 to the R900. Seemed crazy to me, but maybe there is something to it? I've also heard some people say they preferred Motion 40 to 60XT.

When I auditioned the Kef's, I heard the R700's as well and they were really outstanding, but since I was looking for a stand mount speaker, I didn't even consider them....

Hey Tom,

Now that you've had the R300s for a while how do you feel about them, especially compared to your old Summits?

I'm in a similar boat. I purchased a pair of LS50s for surround duty (they are phenomenal) and apparently once you go KEF...

Hey Boris,
I'm happy with the R300's... they are what I expected they would be. Not as revealing as the Summits and the soundstage isn't as well defined either, but I really haven't tried to get them dialed in, as we are prepping for the big move, which will be happening in a few months. Once we move to the new place, I'll get them dialed in better... They're really being used for HT duty mainly..

Here's my current system. Kef R300s sitting atop Custom Designs FS104 stand (sand filled) being fed with Anthem Statement D2 as pre and Wyred4Sound MC500 Amplifier. Recently I had 6 people over for a listening party where everyone brought some music and EVERYONE thought the system sounded fantastic. I guess it sounds OK, but nowhere near the level that my Summits and Pass X250 was at. Good enuff for this room, I guess.

Kef system750.jpg

Last edited:
Way to go Tom !

Although we have to admit, as Brad said, it's a little strange you and I not having Logans ......... for now !

Latest posts

Back